Selling on Auction Site

Shenks

Experienced
I have my trusty old Axe FX II XL= up for sale on the *bay UK site. I've just received a message and offer from somebody saying they will pay a deposit now, then pay the remainder in 2 weeks when they have the rest of the money.

Not quite sure what to think of this nor whether it contravenes *bay policies?

If anybody can offer any advice it would be much appreciated.

I always tell people to put their money where their mouth is (a version of that, anyway). The auction sites are supposed to be free market and if they really want the item they can find a way to pay by the auction's standard means. I never agree to end an auction early, unless I put in a "buy it now" option. I've been happy with my results for the last 18 years or so on Ebay. I'm not a regular seller, but I've had about two dozen successful auctions, mostly of gear, including my AxeFx II.

Thanks for the responses so far. I am going to try and get a chat with a customer services agent to get their perspective on it too.

Tell them they can pay for it all in 2 weeks when they have all the money. If it is still available. :)
This. Why should you pass up potential sales so the other guy can (maybe) come through later?

If you don't have the money on hand, you're not ready to buy.

"I tried, but I just can't come up with the rest of the money. Could you refund my deposit?"

You are not a bank. Any time anyone tries to buy ANYTHING from you, doesn't matter if it's a half eaten candy bar or a house, you take the payment upfront and in full, or no deal.

How the buyer comes up with the money is their problem, not yours. Even if they genuinely mean well and 100% truly intend on paying you back, they could get hit by a buss tomorrow, after which point you're stuck.

This. Why should you pass up potential sales so the other guy can (maybe) come through later?

If you don't have the money on hand, you're not ready to buy.

"I tried, but I just can't come up with the rest of the money. Could you refund my deposit?"

Just last week a guy asked me to hold a pedal until Wednesday. I told him I would,
but still left the ad up. Do you think he ever contacted me again??

Experienced people know how these stories end. :)

Reactions: Rex
And the jury has given their verdict and I have chatted with a customer services agent.
In essence, I have told him 'no can do' and he either pays in full or the listing stays up.

I had wondered initially if I was being overly cynical or suspicious but it seems not.

Thanks to all who commented.

Back
Top Bottom