Selling Gemini 2 for a Friedman?

I'm currently running my AX8 through a Mission Engineering Gemini 2 (with bluetooth). I'm seriously thinking about selling my Gemini and getting the new Friedman ASC-12.

I mostly play hard rock and metal. At times the Gemini can sound boomy, especially in a small room. Sound is subjective but I'm looking for opinions of those who have tried both.

Both are big heavy cabs. The Friedman is only 4lbs lighter than the Gemini which is a back breaker. (Weight isn't much of an issue for me since I don't plan on gigging.) I rarely use the Bluetooth feature on the Gemini, and the stereo separation isn't great enough to make an audible difference.

I'm curious about the Friedman's "Subsonic filter, Turn-on Mute, and Soft Ramp all work to prevent unwanted pops, clicks, and thumps when setting up." With my Gemini I have to be careful of the power on/off order to prevent extremely loud pops. Convection cooling is also a advantage over my Gemini 2.

Finally, I prefer the look of traditional backline cabs so wedges are out.

Thoughts and opinions will be appreciated.

Last edited:
No disrespect to the Friedman offering but I would give Mick at Xitone a call or PM here on the board. He will build you exactly what you want the way you want it built!

I've been running the ASC12 since it came out. Couldn't be happier. Sound wise, it is very good. Very "natural" sounding-similar to a standard guitar cab. The low cut filter works perfectly although the cabinet isn't overly bassy to begin with like some of the other options out there. All the features you mention work as advertised.
I was previously running a CLR up front and 4x12/power amp (no cab sims) behind me. I really like that setup but it is more to lug around. Now I run the ASC backline on an amp stand and use the system monitors up front. This is first FR solution that I liked enough to ditch the traditional cab and power amp for back line. Plenty loud and sounds great!

While the other cabs mentioned are great, in my opinion the ASC is more like an amp, it has a great feel and just sounds amazing.
One thing to note is when I first got it I hated it, it was too bass heavy and muddy then I learned about the glorious low-cut in the cab block and now everything is right in my AX8 world!

The ASC-12 is AWESOME! And the Dirty Shirley with the ASC, OH MY!!!!

~ss

Where are you guys finding stores with the ASC in stock? Alle the sites and stores I visit either says "available soon" or "preorder now".

Back
Top Bottom