Selling gear in the age of COVID

Long time ago, (2001), I got burned for a PS2 on eBay: turned into a big hunt as the guy was a pro and the Tucson AZ police were looking all over for him. The old adage is true: if something looks too good to be true...got taken for I forget exactly how much.

Amex saved the day then, because eBay ws kinda hemming and hawing about what to do, but again my fault plus I used Western Union which is a total trap. Craigslist and Gumtree spook me.

Since then, nothing but great transactions from eBay sellers, and this past few months Reverb sellers with all three awards for selling, correspondence, and shipping have been beyond great.

It bothers me to hear how honest sellers get scammed too: the fact that Reverb, eBay, and PayPal would side more readily with the buyer first isn’t very fair considering sellers spend money to use their services, but crooks are working from both ends, huh.

For what its worth I have have very good experience using Reverb.com, purchased many things and sold almost 30 items all transactions went very well, (knock on wood) I have Gib.69LP listed now that has been listed since the beginning of the flu epidemic. All in all I'd recommend reverb, much better than other sites i.e. ebay, Craigs List etc.

You mean you can actually sell gear? :laughing:

I've picked up way too much gear over the last 15 or 20 years. I get most of it through The Gear Page. I've had very few issues going this route. Any disputes have been easily resolved. It seems most people there are in the same musician boat. They like to try gear and aren't out to make a buck... unless you're looking at some of the vintage guitars.

If you’re new to Reverb, you’ll wait for your money until the buyer receives the gear and approves the fund xfer. It’s kind of a hassle.

eBay and PayPal are still the easiest way to go but there are ZERO seller protections on eBay. I’ve found lots of communication is key to avoiding returns and rip offs. On eBay, If the buyer wants to screw you, they can. I had one zero feedback buyer swap the pickups for a return. eBay did nothing. It’s an odd policy as the sellers are the ones paying the fees.

OTOH, I had a dispute with a buyer of a vintage Twin on Reverb who thought I would ship the amp for a tryout. He came back a week later and said it didn’t work. Luckily, I was suspicious and had made a video just before shipping to show 100% functionality. I also shot a quick video of the packaging I used. Reverb disallowed the return. eBay wouldn’t have done that.

I’ve noticed the same item listed in both sites has mostly been selling quicker on Reverb lately.

I've been pretty happy with Reverb too (as a seller). No problems (that couldn't be rectified) as a buyer either.

You can not sell something locally and take payment through paypal. Unless they pay as friends and family- even then there's still risk.

To comply with paypals terms of goods and services- you have to ship it... if you don't ship it- they can say they never got it- you lose the item and your money.

Craigslist is fine- no different than it ever was- meet in public, screen the person- i.e. see if they know what it is they are buying/selling

Now- wear gloves or a mask.

The only thing different is people are buying up gear like no tomorrow

I've sold $4000 this month cash local on craigslist laying around I didn't need/use

All stuff that used to be impossible to sell for good money locally- guitars and amps

The only thing different is people are buying up gear like no tomorrow

Really? I would've thought just the opposite. I've been gathering things together with the intent to sell them when things settle down. Maybe now is a good time to start purging.

I was able to sell Exercise equipment and yard tools within hours through craigslist. Musical gear, not so much luck :unamused:. Were you selling your gear at very low prices or ???

I was able to sell Exercise equipment and yard tools within hours through craigslist. Musical gear, not so much luck :unamused:. Were you selling your gear at very low prices or ???

Where I live to sell stuff typically local you got to go basically half of what it's reasonably worth or no one bites- to the point where on good stuff i can get 50-70% from guitar center and just unload gear on them

I'm selling stuff currently at full pop retail used

I put 15 guitars that aren't even for sale at fair but rock solid used prices- sold a bass this morning for $1500 cash

I sold two $1000 heads I couldn't sell for months a week or two ago

The shortsightedness of people is alarming-- every store is just packed outside with people scratching off lottery tickets

I wish I lived near you :). Congrats on clearing the closets. My GF keeps asking when I'm going to open my music store.

If you’re new to Reverb, you’ll wait for your money until the buyer receives the gear and approves the fund xfer. It’s kind of a hassle.

eBay and PayPal are still the easiest way to go but there are ZERO seller protections on eBay. I’ve found lots of communication is key to avoiding returns and rip offs. On eBay, If the buyer wants to screw you, they can. I had one zero feedback buyer swap the pickups for a return. eBay did nothing. It’s an odd policy as the sellers are the ones paying the fees.

OTOH, I had a dispute with a buyer of a vintage Twin on Reverb who thought I would ship the amp for a tryout. He came back a week later and said it didn’t work. Luckily, I was suspicious and had made a video just before shipping to show 100% functionality. I also shot a quick video of the packaging I used. Reverb disallowed the return. eBay wouldn’t have done that.

I’ve noticed the same item listed in both sites has mostly been selling quicker on Reverb lately.
ebay and paypal are scam city....reverb is much better. in terms of commission and protection

however, that idiot Adam Howard of Dallas, Texas is STILL scamming on there actively, as he just tried to scam me again, for like the 10th time, constantly doing "reversals" and "chargebacks" after making mocked up damage and fake photoshopped images, so its not scam proof, obviously, but its better than ebay and paypal

ebay/paypal itself is an offshore sham bank, so stay away if you don't want added troubles, imo

(PS ALL jeries does, all day, is hustle hustle hustle on CL and scouring pawn shops, so dont let him fool you, he works hard for his money, take a bow man, you deserve the credit )

Back
Top Bottom