Selling Cab packs and preset packs with equipment? Yes or no?

Stratman68

Axe-Master
So, not trying to start a riot here but most of us just upgrade from one fractal to another, for the most part. So, since we have Fractool, whatever you buy you will most likely,(not all I know) be able to use your cabs & presets with your new item.
So my question is, is it cool to sell the packs with your old stuff and then use them with the new stuff? Nothing to stop you no matter what you may say.
IMHO, the answer is NO. But, I also would , of course, abide by what majority says. I have a zillion cabs and I KNOW I will NEVER, EVER use them. I do NOT even use them now. Just got sucked into that rabbit hole many years ago. What do others think about this continuing practice.?

Last edited:
This is really each vendors' call, more than what a bunch of us here think. Personally I'd say use them with your new gear... you paid for them and even though they may be designed for one device, I don't think they're licensed only for that one (?). But I'll abide by whatever they want.

On the other hand, I would delete everything that was purchased before shipping the old unit unless they specifically said not to.

I factory reset everything and wipe third party IR and preset packs. The license for them generally doesn't allow them to be transferred, unfortunately.

And, since I happen to personally know most of the people making these and am lucky to count them among my friends, I'm happy to encourage another user to pay them for their hard work and golden ears. I know where that money is going and it's not to some big, faceless corporation.

Note, I pass no judgement on people who offer their hardware up for sale with "packs installed" and what not. If the pack creator wants to address it, they can.

All great answers because it is a tough call. I will go with Ian and Sleestak. All points are well taken. I have wanted to post this for a long time simply because I think it's, well, just not right.. But always hesitated.
It is a touhy subject me thinks!

(Do it but don’t tell anyone - it’s frowned upon, but its also really no ones business , especially if you didn’t use it, I see it like buying Ms office license card and you can’t use it or return it so you try to sell at a loss)

No, it’s wrong if your massively redistributing , reproducing, or reselling for a profit. The main issue here is transfer of goods, assuming they were registered. And if they weren’t then it’s the same as if a retailer sold it to you and you went home kept it in bag with receipt and never opened it. Also if it’s already on your own machine and you didn’t even use the products or goods (still in the “shrink wrap”) then again, who is being “snubbed?” And if you feel that strongly about it do a proper license transfer which is all this comes down to.

In the end, if a good is purchased and is just sitting there unused and unopened, and one day someone else finds it and uses it without loss to anyone , that’s just economical , as there is no loss to anyone and something that would’ve been wasted or thrown out now has utility as it was supposed to

Ethical and philosophical , but in the end...depends on what you did yourself with the software ....can’t resell others work for profit

No, it’s wrong if your massively redistributing , reproducing, or reselling for a profit. The main issue here is transfer of goods, assuming they were registered. And if they weren’t then it’s the same as if a retailer sold it to you and you went home kept it in bag with receipt and never opened it. Also if it’s already on your own machine and you didn’t even use the products or goods (still in the “shrink wrap”) then again, who is being “snubbed?” And if you feel that strongly about it do a proper license transfer which is all this comes down to.

In the end, if a good is purchased and is just sitting there unused and unopened, and one day someone else finds it and uses it without loss to anyone , that’s just economical , as there is no loss to anyone and something that would’ve been wasted or thrown out now has utility as it was supposed to

Ethical and philosophical , but in the end...depends on what you did yourself with the software ....can’t resell others work for profit

The whole point WAS and IS selling your gear with the stuff included and you retain the item also. Who cares if you use it or not? Has zero to do with the conversation. Please tell me how keeping bundles of cabs and presets and NOT using them is normal? Of course you'll use them, sooner or later. Or maybe even give them to someone else. In my mind it's illegal and just plain wrong. Your attitude will and maybe already has forced these sellers to start demanding some type of copyright. This is a forum of musicians and we all work together.

Its theft of an artists work plain and simple. No different than pirating music, software, etc. There are laws against such things for good reason and if the creator of the cab packs and presets finds out he has every legal right to file a law suit and get compensated plus "damages". Highly doubtful that one of them would do it over a $10-50 pack but its still their right because their work that they get a monetary commercial return on was stolen. Just don't do it. That's the right thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom