Sell me on MFC-Edit!

dbun

Experienced
I'm been using the AFX + MFC for a couple of years now - great combo!
My setup as far as the MFC goes is fairly simple. I only use a few Scenes and then the rest of the buttons assigned as various effect block on/off buttons.

I've been looking into MFC Edit as in the back of my mind I feel like there are even more options I could dive into via MFC Edit to unlock more potential.

Does anybody have any tips or tricks they learnt or 'unlocked' only after getting MFC Edit? Any examples of complex switching setups?

MFC Edit, for me, is a Godsend. I play in multiple bands and have to deal with a shite load of set lists, and Edit makes it a super fast snap to keep everything in check. That was it's major selling point for me, and it hasn't let me down yet. It's also a plus to be able to program everything from the computer and save wear and tear on the switches...

If you are only gonna use a few scenes, then the edit wont get used much. I like to use song and set mode to put tones in play order, this would be a real pain with out the edit. the only other thing I use some with the edit is to change the effects controlled by my expression pedals on a mfc preset basis. as far as IA switches, once I got them the way I like them I never change them.

If you are only gonna use a few scenes, then the edit wont get used much. .

This was my thought too.
I have the feeling that the only real benefit is being able to backup and reload configurations. It doesn't take me too long to get my MFC setup again anyway.

I'll have a think about it - with the drop in AUD the price has crept up a bit for us down here

MFC-Edit is the other half of your MFC-101. I didn't buy it at first, assuming that based on my usage, all I needed was presets and scenes. Then I got the software and dove into deeper editing, PLUS being started managing songs in my set list. It made me understand and appreciate the power of the MFC-101. In addition, bwanagary is super helpful and responsive.

This was my thought too.
I have the feeling that the only real benefit is being able to backup and reload configurations. It doesn't take me too long to get my MFC setup again anyway.

I'll have a think about it - with the drop in AUD the price has crept up a bit for us down here
Fractal Bot will backup and restore your MFC-101 setups just fine and it's free. Its the functionality beyond backup/restore that makes MFC-Edit valuable.

I love being able to view all the settings for items (Presets, IA Switches, Midi message bytes, etc.) without having to scroll through everything on a tiny little display and either try to remember what I saw or write everything down. Plus the ability to drag and drop things into place is a huge time saver. I originally set my MFC up with just the switches and it drove me crazy, plus I made mistakes that I had to go back through and find and fix. If you use more than a very simple "call up some Axe-FX presets" then I highly recommend the meager investment.

Bought it, but it falls short from perfect. There are two major faults: (1) It does not display the SONG name on the MFC unit (using the SET performance mode) (only the PRESET from the Axe-FX), meaning you have to double check your set list for the order/song; and (2) pressing IA switches for a song PRESET will lock-in as an "edit" to the Axe-FX and will not "unlock or unedit" when selecting another SCENE (to unlock/unedit you must select a new SONG/Preset). I have read earlier posts that this is the nature of the beast. I bought MFC Edit to assist with consolidating my primary presets for numerous songs and control my set lists, than having to re-order and save individual SONG presets on the Axe-FX. There are so many tone selections that make the Axe-FX powerful, so resolving these two issues should reduce the need for the numerous BANKS, plus storage..

MFC Edit cannot change the deficiencies of the MFC itself, unfortunately. It can make programming a bit less painful.

That MFC does not display song names annoys the hell out of me as well. But there's nothing Edit can do about it, I'm afraid...

I'm not sure I totally understand your second point, but it seems to be out of Edit control as well.

Back
Top Bottom