Sell me on dual amps

Making a beautifully lush stereo phase/delay patch with two counter-complimenting amp tones, strike up a fat one and lose yourself in the sonic soundscape.

Using two amps with tone biased settings such as one high gain treble dominant tone, the other with a lower gain, bass dominant tone and mix up a thick, clear wall of sound. This can be switched up in so many ways to get a huge variation of sounds.

As others have said, lube-smooth transition from gain to clean.

Lastly, any less restriction or more enhancement on my creativity and playing enjoyment is a win in my book.

Making a beautifully lush stereo phase/delay patch with two counter-complimenting amp tones, strike up a fat one and lose yourself in the sonic soundscape.

Using two amps with tone biased settings such as one high gain treble dominant tone, the other with a lower gain, bass dominant tone and mix up a thick, clear wall of sound. This can be switched up in so many ways to get a huge variation of sounds.

As others have said, lube-smooth transition from gain to clean.

Lastly, any less restriction or more enhancement on my creativity and playing enjoyment is a win in my book.
What a description. Now I can’t wait to try it lol I hope to see some good tutorials on blending two Amps because I have no idea how to do it haha

My main use of two amp blocks is on presets using 8 different amps, one per each scene

Can someone with the knowledge please enlight us in the dark regarding dual amps in parallel vs serial?

Besides the above, I also use two amp blocks in series. The first one with something like the Tube-Pre, and the second with a regular amp. e.g.: I have one preset cloning the Alembic F-2B Preamp with the Tube-Pre in front of a Hiwatt.

Coopers blending trick with the volume pedal works great to get clean , dirt ,or anything between. 2 amps also great for W/D/W setups.

Coopers blending trick with the volume pedal works great to get clean , dirt ,or anything between. 2 amps also great for W/D/W setups.
Is there a video that shows this? Been thinking about getting a mini EV for volume or preamp gain. Could be super cool with dual amps on the fm9

Besides all reasons above (which I second), the simplest reason is that you can have 8 amps in one preset as opposed to 4, which is cool because you can have 1 preset to range from jazz to metal and everything in between, but its even more useful because you can load 8 amps - or 8 of the same amp with different settings - for A/B comparison purpose when you're searching for that sound.

lending trick with the volume pedal works great to get clean , dirt ,or anything between. 2
Besides all reasons above (which I second), the simplest reason is that you can have 8 amps in one preset as opposed to 4, which is cool because you can have 1 preset to range from jazz to metal and everything in between, but its even more useful because you can load 8 amps - or 8 of the same amp with different settings - for A/B comparison purpose when you're searching for that sound.
Now we're talking! I'm all about the kitchen sink presets :cool:

Have always been a single amp guy, but I got on the FM9 waitlist, mainly for the extra switches and pedal inputs.

Tell my why I would want to bother with dual amps/cabs? Back in the amp days, I'd never have done this. Even in the OG AXE-FX/2 I was still using single amps (did we even have a two amp option back then, I don't remember lol)

Y'all do one amp left and the other right, maybe with different effects, for some wide sounds? Or just to get the secret tone you're after?
Simple. I do not use 2 amps at once. BUT, with 2 amp blocks and channels, you have 8 amps you can use in any scene/preset. That is awesome and the reason why it matters to me.

Would you need to pan stereo amps hard left and right or center it to have a proper blend?

I asked a similar question a few days ago regarding cabs due to the fact that some of the venues I play allow for stereo but my sound would be hard panned. Which is fine but I feel like it almost defeats the purpose because one side of the audience will hear one amp and the other side will hear the other amp.

Would you need to pan stereo amps hard left and right or center it to have a proper blend?

I asked a similar question a few days ago regarding cabs due to the fact that some of the venues I play allow for stereo but my sound would be hard panned. Which is fine but I feel like it almost defeats the purpose because one side of the audience will hear one amp and the other side will hear the other amp.
I recommend not hard panning the amps, and to rather, get a pleasing stereo image that is positionable by a mixing engineer. If they are just slamming the pan left or right, that's a shame.

I've been running dual or more since 94. I'm not one to go in for the first version of ANYTHING, and I've held off moving to a floor based unit because it's a feature I'm unwilling to compromise on. But now I'm on the wait-list, and hope my wife doesn't kill me for it (luckily she's pretty awesome and loves my band)!

Back
Top Bottom