Sell me on dual amps

Have always been a single amp guy, but I got on the FM9 waitlist, mainly for the extra switches and pedal inputs.

Tell my why I would want to bother with dual amps/cabs? Back in the amp days, I'd never have done this. Even in the OG AXE-FX/2 I was still using single amps (did we even have a two amp option back then, I don't remember lol)

Y'all do one amp left and the other right, maybe with different effects, for some wide sounds? Or just to get the secret tone you're after?
My go touring set was a Fender Twin and Roland JC-120..Best cleans, and when I switched on the JC's chorus, i still had the
tight clean of the twin..

I want to do the following:

1 amp with power amp modeling off so I can use it with my real JP2C and real cab
1 amp with power amp modeling on so I can use with it a cab IR to FOH

I want to use the same FX for both cases.

Can I do this the FM9? It appears that I can, but what do you think? Would I need to set up the effects in parallel to do this?

I want to do the following:

1 amp with power amp modeling off so I can use it with my real JP2C and real cab
1 amp with power amp modeling on so I can use with it a cab IR to FOH

I want to use the same FX for both cases.

Can I do this the FM9? It appears that I can, but what do you think? Would I need to set up the effects in parallel to do this?
I don’t yet have my mitts on a FM9 , but judging from what’s available, it would seem to be easily done more than one way, especially if you are able /willing to put all shared FX before the amp blocks..but depending on the complexity of you preset, there appear to be enough blocks to run meaningful parallel FX post amps if you want, and prolly other sneaky ways that smarter folk than me can devise

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. It will probably be pretty fun to fool around with some of these dual amp setups when fractal calls my FM9 number. :cool:

Have always been a single amp guy, but I got on the FM9 waitlist, mainly for the extra switches and pedal inputs.

Tell my why I would want to bother with dual amps/cabs? Back in the amp days, I'd never have done this. Even in the OG AXE-FX/2 I was still using single amps (did we even have a two amp option back then, I don't remember lol)

Y'all do one amp left and the other right, maybe with different effects, for some wide sounds? Or just to get the secret tone you're after?
The FM9 will be my first multi effects/amp modeler, but I have been running a huge stereo pedal board into a 65 Fender knotty pine Princeton Reverb Reissue and a Dr Z Maz 8 and those amps are like peanut butter and jelly together. Their tonal differences just mesh so well in any configuration from standard Stereo to wet/dry. Using a Boss ES8 I could set up patches that switched what signal went to each amp or just to switch to a mono signal resulting in almost endless tonal possibilities. I am very excited to get my hands on the FM9. It is truly the goldilocks solution I have been waiting for as I look to go ampless. I am looking forward to spending countless hours playing with all the possibilities and creative inspiration this device is going to afford me.

There are so many artists who have blended amps to great effect:

Tool
Bonamassa
Eric Johnson
John Mayer
Muse
STP
Tremonti
Metallica

And I’m sure dozens of others I can’t think of/don’t know about.

Last edited:
When I think of players like the Edge who uses a pool of amps for his tones, I think using 2 amps will be nice. Beside, I used to have 2 amps setup via a stereo chorus pedal - liked it a lot.

Yes, though slightly different results - with the vol blocks you are hitting each amp block with less signal during the blend, changing the distortion characteristics a bit.
...which may be just what you want, or may not.

Try both ways.... ;)

Could you explain what you said about the multiplex? I’m feeling Uber ignorant
Multiplex lets you select input from any one of the six rows (four rows in the FM3) to pass along to subsequent blocks. It switches pretty much instantaneously. The mixer allows smooth transition between input sources with a Continuous Controller pedal or by adding some attack/decay time in the modifier dialog window.

Back
Top Bottom