Wish Selectable Guitar Tunings

favance

Power User
Would be awesome to have selectable tunings for guitar, including selection rotation from the FC12/FC6. This could include several commonly used Guitar tunings: Standard, Sweetened, Drop D, Eb, Open E, Open A, Open D, etc.

that requires a midi pickup, there's no way for a pitch shifter to detect the strings you're playing on
Or if not a MIDI pickup, at least a hexaphonic pickup... and six inputs to the Axe, and six pitch shifters. More of each if your guitar has more than six strings.

I have a tuner on my iPhone (Guitar Toolkit) that does this, and it only has a microphone...surely the AxeIII can detect the pitch of the string being picked!

I have a tuner on my iPhone (Guitar Toolkit) that does this, and it only has a microphone...surely the AxeIII can detect the pitch of the string being picked!
One string at a time, sure.. But not chords.

That tuner is detecting a note. It doesn't really know which string it is. It's assuming that you are playing open strings. Try playing an 'A' on the 5th fret of the 'E' string.

Even if it could somehow figure out all of the notes in a chord and shift individual notes at different intervals... How could it possibly know which string was producing which note. Take drop-D for instance.. It would have to drop only the 'E' string down a whole step, while leaving the others unchanged. Now bar the strings at the 7th fret. What should it do now. The 6th string is an 'A'.. Is it the open 'A' on the 5th string, or is it the 'D' string on the 7th fret? How would the pitch shifter know?

aside from slight offsets, i've seen every professional touring band (yeah the big ones) have a list of tunings and they tune to the actual note. they don't press buttons to change what the tuner is interpreting. E is E. D is D. and so on. if they need flat tunings, they tune to Eb Ab... etc.

it's a nightmare when the tuner is in "double flat" mode and it shows you EADGBE on the display as you tune, and then you realize you're a whole step lower than the rest of the band who is actually in D.

I think the wish is for a non-chromatic tuner display mode (and maybe unique offsets per tuning for the "sweetened" option mentioned), not pitch shifting.

No at all how I read the OP...??
Would be awesome to have selectable tunings for guitar, including selection rotation from the FC12/FC6. This could include several commonly used Guitar tunings: Standard, Sweetened, Drop D, Eb, Open E, Open A, Open D, etc.

No at all how I read the OP...??

The OP was vauge but I guess it was a tuner wish, not pitch shifting wish. The app mentioned allows selecting different tunings. Only notes in the tuning will read as in-tune (needle centered). For example if you set it to standard and dropped the low E to D, it would say "E, -200 cents". You'd need to change the tuning to drop D to see "D, 0 cents" and needle centered.

Another idea is to display the tuner notes using Scientific Pitch Notation (SPN), where middle C is C4. If you then know the notes for Open E, you could easily use this (silent tuning) to tune the guitar to any tuning.

Back
Top Bottom