Wish Select Multiple IR's for Cab block in one go

Thenewexhibit

Experienced
I think it would be rad to select up to the 4 IRs with the given slots in a cab block all at once (or two, or three etc. for that matter).
I don't know how this would be feasible since you can individually choose each IR slot one at a time in a cab block, but if you think of an idea about what a tone needs, you can select 4 different IRs to fill up the whole cab block in one go, and then tweak from there.
I know this can be done with saving a cab block in the library, but, then you're married to whatever you saved (still a useful feature).

But in any given moment, at least for me, I get inspired to craft a tone for recording, and I might think of 4 completely different IRs in one go - "Alright, this tone sounds like it can use a greenback speaker, a vintage 30, a creamback, and a celestion blue. Let's see which one makes the cut" - Instead of going to slot one to find the first one, then going to slot two to find the second one, then slot three, etc. etc., it would be awesome to say "I want these 4 IRs, select them all, and then you're good to go to audition all in one go.

EDIT: To expand on this, it would be awesome if when you hit a “picker” button in the cab block, the IR list shows up as normal, but there would be a dialog box included on the right side where you could click and drag the IRs into the 1-4 cabinet slots all in one go. And if you could do this for every channel in the cabinet block; all 16 at once??? Whooooo!!!!!!

Does that make sense? I don't know what that would take, but I know I would love that feature.

Last edited:
I think it would be rad to select up to the 4 IRs with the given slots in a cab block all at once (or two, or three etc. for that matter).
I don't know how this would be feasible since you can individually choose each IR slot one at a time in a cab block, but if you think of an idea about what a tone needs, you can select 4 different IRs to fill up the whole cab block in one go, and then tweak from there.
I know this can be done with saving a cab block in the library, but, then you're married to whatever you saved (still a useful feature).

But in any given moment, at least for me, I get inspired to craft a tone for recording, and I might think of 4 completely different IRs in one go - "Alright, this tone sounds like it can use a greenback speaker, a vintage 30, a creamback, and a celestion blue. Let's see which one makes the cut" - Instead of going to slot one to find the first one, then going to slot two to find the second one, then slot three, etc. etc., it would be awesome to say "I want these 4 IRs, select them all, and then you're good to go to audition all in one go.

Does that make sense? I don't know what that would take, but I know I would love that feature.
I don’t get it. You want the ability to mix four cabs in one block, right? We have that now.

I think maybe he is asking to be able to just click on 4 different IR's and they put them selves in the cab block with out you selecting the location.

I think maybe he is asking to be able to just click on 4 different IR's and they put them selves in the cab block with out you selecting the location.
You can do that with the Solo function on Axe-Edit.

This is exactly it. Thank you because this actually allows me expand on it a bit in a way I didn’t even think:

Basically a way when hitting the “picker” button in the cabinet block (any of them for this matter), when the IR list comes up, it would be rad if there was a dialog box on the right side that had for every given cab block channel “slot 1-4” and you can click and drag the IR into the available slots all at one go.

I feel like the option to do this would be quicker instead of hitting the “picker” button for every individual slot, searching, and then selecting an IR four times in a row, especially if you wanted to do this across 4 channels of cabinets. And then of course, if you’re just choosing one IR, go the picker route as normal. I know I would love this, especially if you get into blending microphones with IR libraries.

This is exactly it. Thank you because this actually allows me expand on it a bit in a way I didn’t even think:

Basically a way when hitting the “picker” button in the cabinet block (any of them for this matter), when the IR list comes up, it would be rad if there was a dialog box on the right side that had for every given cab block channel “slot 1-4” and you can click and drag the IR into the available slots all at one go.

I feel like the option to do this would be quicker instead of hitting the “picker” button for every individual slot, searching, and then selecting an IR four times in a row, especially if you wanted to do this across 4 channels of cabinets. And then of course, if you’re just choosing one IR, go the picker route as normal. I know I would love this, especially if you get into blending microphones with IR libraries.
I feel like I must be missing something. Wouldn't this save maybe 2 seconds tops? Either way you have to select the 4 different IRs.

I feel like I must be missing something. Wouldn't this save maybe 2 seconds tops? Either way you have to select the 4 different IRs.
Depends. If I have a particular IR library in mind that has multiple mics that I wanted to blend and or audition on one channel for a given sound, it would without doubt be faster to click and drag after I used the search function since they’ll all show up in the same group, as oppsed to choosing one, then hitting picker, researching for the exact same place I already was, and then doing that two more times after that. If I wanted a 57, a 121, a 421, and an sm7b for a particular cabinet, I could just click and drag all four in one go.

Depends. If I have a particular IR library in mind that has multiple mics that I wanted to blend and or audition on one channel for a given sound, it would without doubt be faster to click and drag after I used the search function since they’ll all show up in the same group, as oppsed to choosing one, then hitting picker, researching for the exact same place I already was, and then doing that two more times after that. If I wanted a 57, a 121, a 421, and an sm7b for a particular cabinet, I could just click and drag all four in one go.
You could pull up a cab block with four empty or available user cab slots and drag IRs from a Windows or MacOs folder directly into Axe Edit. I suppose that would only work for third-party IRs that you have saved to your computer and not so much factory IRs.

Good luck. Keep making music.

You could pull up a cab block with four empty or available user cab slots and drag IRs from a Windows or MacOs folder directly into Axe Edit. I suppose that would only work for third-party IRs that you have saved to your computer and not so much factory IRs.

I suppose? But then I assume I’d have to have a cab block library set to have the cab block show up empty, then I still have to navigate other folders on the computer to find what I’m looking for when they’re already on the axe fx.

Thanks! I mean, I can still get work done, but hopefully something like this could get implemented so I could make music even faster!

This is about picking cabs to use in a preset from the ones already in your Axe, factory and user.

Loading IRs from disk into your Axe is a different thing.

+1

The current workflow is fine for picking one IR, but a bit repetitious for picking multiple IRs.

Perhaps adding right-click menu items in the picker window like 'Place in Slot 1', 'Place in Slot 2', 'Place in Slot 3', and 'Place in Slot 4' would work? That way, it could leave the current workflow for those that like it, and add the new shortcuts for those who want them....

Definitely agreed. It's a lot of extra work to open picker, type search or scroll to location, find cab 1.. then repeat the whole flow for a second mic.

And given that the factory IRs are all individual mics now (rather than the mixes available in legacy IRs) it seems the Intended use it to do more manual mixing of mics rather than loading a single mix. So the act of picking those could be simplified to help that.

Especially if you could hear a preview while you're picking your IRs. Play or have a looper playing and click between your different combinations right in the picker until you've narrowed down your starting point.

Especially if you could hear a preview while you're picking your IRs. Play or have a looper playing and click between your different combinations right in the picker until you've narrowed down your starting point.
@2112's method (using the looper, then setting focus to cab number field and listening - while not looking - and using arrow keys to navigate) can help with audtioning sounds once you've found the beginning of a group in the picker. Would be nice to be able to do it from within the picker, but might be challenging from the tech or UI end.

How would it know which one you want loaded into which slot? Or maybe you don't care? (I would..., but I am picky.)

How would it know which one you want loaded into which slot? Or maybe you don't care? (I would..., but I am picky.)
If added as right-click context menu choices, it could be specified by which choice you picked.

Perhaps adding right-click menu items in the picker window like 'Place in Slot 1', 'Place in Slot 2', 'Place in Slot 3', and 'Place in Slot 4' would work? That way, it could leave the current workflow for those that like it, and add the new shortcuts for those who want them....

For scenarios where the user wants to mix mics on the same cab, the filter and some sort of multi-select capability would vastly speed up workflow. Add some logic operators to the search (another wish from a while back), and mixing different cabs can also enjoy this benefit as well. Possibly the only thing after that I can think of to improve workflow would be to make the picker a pop-out window like the volume leveler, so you can change cabs and audition more efficiently....

Last edited:

A couple UI ideas. Maybe a global picker button instead of an individual picker button and:

a) @Joe Bfstplk's idea: Have right click context menu to "set IR to Slot X"

b) When clicking an IR it sets it to Slot 1 for the first, and slot 2 for the second, and displays the slot number as a part of the "cab selected" highlighting. Note that this is confusing for Left/Right panned cabs when you might need finer control.

c) Someone mentioned earlier, maybe there's a drag and drop zone to the right of the IR picker which lists Slot 1-4 and you drag them onto the slots there, and can see what's currently selected.

d) maybe the Cab Picker can be a separate window like the preset leveller, instead of a pseudo-window stuck inside the Axe Edit window. Then you could use it to pick one cab, or you could drag it to the side, and drag and drop IRs on to the real IR slots on Axe Edit. This would have to detect Whether it's an IR file being dragged onto the User Cab number (like it currently does), or an IR from the picker being dragged which should update the selected number, not overwrite the IR in that slot

You could also do that by letting the picker only cover the grid but leaving the slots visible to drag onto.

I like the suggestions listed above. I often want to blend a set of user-cabs and the UX feels very slow for such a simple task. I often end-up memorizing the slot numbers and just type it in, but that isn't ideal.

To me a lot of this circles back to an older thread called "Proper browsers (for presets, IRs, and blocks). And Set Lists". This wish and many more could be rolled up into a single refresh of the browser(s).

I know nothing about the difficulty of coding but maybe add a single 'Picker' button in the Cab block that when selected automatically pinned the window and had the 4 IR slots across the bottom? Provide the option to type in the IR number or the IR(s) into the desired location(s).

....or raise the bottom of the Picker window so the IR slots text windows are visible and allow drag-n-drop from the Picker to the slots when pinned.

Back
Top Bottom