Seismic SAX-12M-PW 12" powered coaxial monitor vs RCF VS CLR

Jay do you think the powered version I have here sounded better than the Passive with the crown?
I know you did initially (you seemed to when you were here) but the original one you had may have been hosed, does this one sound better/different?

Jay do you think the powered version I have here sounded better than the Passive with the crown?
I know you did initially (you seemed to when you were here) but the original one you had may have been hosed, does this one sound better/different?

Sorry for the delay in response Nick....been a crazy week.

I believe the passive 12" I had was NOT broken. The 15" was similar.
The mistake I believe I made when I had the 12", was that I first compared at moderate volume....tried to Eq the Seismic to sound like the CLR....and THEN cranked the volume on both of them.
When I cranked the volume, the CLR stayed nice and balanced.....but the Seismic got ugly.
I believe that my assessment of the Seismic Passive 12" being dark, was because I was (at that point) listening at moderate volume. But if I had cranked the Seismic before I Eq'd it, I believe it would have not sounded as dark. The Seismic 15" (and I believe the 12") are both dark at low volume, and then have more high end as they are cranked.

Don't know if that made sense?

yup
I've been on the wait list for a CLR since September I'd love to have one around for more than an hour
to do some more Intensive A/B ing :(

yup
I've been on the wait list for a CLR since September I'd love to have one around for more than an hour
to do some more Intensive A/B ing :(

Nick, PM me and I'll be happy to hook you up if you don't get your CLR soon.

Tom King just emailed me so I may be getting close
thanks for the offer though Jim

Last edited:
I just checked the Seismic web site and it looks like these powered wedges are back in stock.
I just emailed Brad and let him know I wanted to return mine for an Un damaged one or maybe even go up to a 15" powered version.
I got my CLR last night and I' was blending these two together last night.
sounds pretty good to me, anyone that has a CLR and wants to go stereo for cheap should think about trying one of these
or just get 2 of them for even cheaper.
I will say that as you go up in volume the CLR really shines but at lower to moderate volume so far I have zero complaints with this thing.

Would like to know how the 15"ers stack up vs. CLR and the 12"ers... please let us know if you get one. Thanks!

Not sure if you saw on the previous page, I gave some opinion on the 12's and 15's vs the CLR.

The net result is that I've decided the seismic is not for me. It has some strong positives for its price....but I just like the RCF, CLR and xitone options much better.

Not sure if you saw on the previous page, I gave some opinion on the 12's and 15's vs the CLR.

The net result is that I've decided the seismic is not for me. It has some strong positives for its price....but I just like the RCF, CLR and xitone options much better.

Hey BBN, just gave it a read... from what I remember using my CLR, i completely agree with your assessment. Thing is that I was taking my CLR to shows and was always nervous something would happen to it (although thankfully it didn't) so that's one of the reasons I looked for a budget solution. That being said, I believe there might be some different between the Crown + Passive 15" and the Active 15" seismics... and that's the comparison that would be interesting to see vs the active CLR.

I think they're in stock now too... might have to try one out.

That being said, I believe there might be some different between the Crown + Passive 15" and the Active 15" seismics... and that's the comparison that would be interesting to see vs the active CLR.

Could be....especially if the crossover in the passive isn't optimal. No real way to know other than to compare (as you said).
I do feel that the Crown is a higher quality amp then the Seismic could possibly be for the money. You may remember some old videos where Cliff had one that he was using with the Axe.

I got the return authorization from Brad(Seismic)rep) today so I am going to send mine back , but I am gong to get another 12" or maybe a 15" and give it a try.
I had the CLR blended with the 12" tonight and they sound very good together. I have the Seismic dialed in just a touch lower than the CLR and
it sounds pretty freaking good in stereo. For $299.99 I'm getting some real nice sounds out of these two together.
Now this is at low practice volume, as you crank open the CLR it dominates the 12" seismic, but I'm not gigging so it's kind of a non factor,
but the 15" may match up better with it at all volumes. I'm on the fence about which one I want :?
I'll have to talk to Brad about it tomorrow.

So, verdict on using the Seismic for just a simple powered monitor? Good enough for regular gig use?

I know Jim and Jay were not all that impressed with the passive versions of these , but this powered one sounds pretty darn good (very good for $299.00)
If I was going to gig with one I'd probably get the 15", but RomanMTZ has been gigging with the 12"" so he may be better to answer this.
For at home practice volumes I still give this active version a big thumbs up.
The CLR is definitely the superior unit , but this thing can get the job done.

Last edited:
Yup, I've gigged with it twice now as a backline cab on a pole with no problem at all. Behaved just like the CLR when I had it. Cuts through the mix well, but obviously not the same clarity. Still, for 300 bucks, if it lasts, it's a great deal. I've been using it for rehearsal too the same way and it has held up fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

cool , you have 2 EQ controls on the back of the wedge, once you're turned them up past noon they really start to sound 100% better.
I'm returning mine at the end of next week and getting a new one. For what I'm doing with it , it's great.

I know Jim and Jay were not all that impressed with the passive versions of these , but this powered one sounds pretty darn good (very good for $299.00)
If I was going to gig with one I'd probably get the 15", but RomanMTZ has been gigging with the 12"" so he may be better to answer this.
For at home practice volumes I still give this active version a big thumbs up.
The CLR is definitely the superior unit , but this thing can get the job done.

FWIW, the passive 15" cabinets I have (and am keeping) will be good as rehearsal wedges, and for situations where I just need a couple of extra speakers for whatever reason, whether it be monitoring bass, or drums, or whatever. At $199 each, they get loud and the low end holds together. Not the greatest sounding speaker, but not the worst I've used, either. With such a small footprint for a 15" speaker that has switchable bi-amp capabilities, it's a pretty easy call for me, especially since I already own bi-amp ready bass heads with 4 lead speakon connectors, and regular PA power amps that have the same. These will get used somewhere, for something.

I wound up purchasing the FL-12MP-PW. I need time to dial it in (it literally just arrived), but it will suffice. I will test it at higher volume this weekend at a student recital.

Pales in comparison to the Xitone, for sure. For one thing, Xitone cabs are extraordinarily durable, with the Line X coating.

It's no comparison at all to a CLR.

I would like to test the SAX-12M-PW 12 at some point, as they seem to be a little closer in design to the CLR, but I decided to just go with something a little cheaper for now (you know, with having just purchased CLRs and all... LOL!).

I will say that Xitone cabs are awesome. They are a worthwhile investment. It's pretty clear, based some of the posts I see here, that CLRs aren't for everyone. I absolutely love mine, and they will simplify my gear because I feel confident using them as studio monitors.

But, I still say that the Xitones are another excellent option that will work better for some people.

Back
Top Bottom