Zappa plays Zappa show

And yes, AxeFX2 onstage. Hopefully you'll see them do St Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast/Rollo Interior - it's my favourite ZPZ tune (a subjective statement, of course). The fact that Dweezil can even play that middle part is breath-taking.

Reactions: npx
Caught the show two weeks ago in the UK, absolutely fantastic, brilliant musicianship and really loved Dweezil's playing. There's also a really friendly vibe from Dweezil and the band, enjoy!

I wish I could've, but he cancelled the show here due to lack of ticket sales.
Where did you you hear this ? as of this moment, tix are available online and no sign of cancellation on his site. I've been thinking about road tripping next week but will likely only hit Madison.

I've seen him several times. Really great fun, but also a 'reproduction' - not like seeing Frank in his heyday (I was a Zappa fanatic in the mid-to-late 70s and would hitchhike down from college to NYC and spend a week seeing as many shows at the Palladium as I could afford). Dweezil is an AMAZING player, but t's a VERY odd thing to me, that at the ZPZ shows, the 'old vibe' only shows up when some of the old guys show up - and I don't mean Steve Vai. I mean guys like Napoleon Murphy Brock, Tom fowler - any of the old crew from the time period I revere - from about '73 to '80, or some from later too, like Ray White. Among other things, Frank had a lot of great African American vocalists, and a lot of his music ain't right without those guys, and George Duke etc. singing. The show is well worth seeing, but it is a bit tighter and maybe more 'antiseptic' than the tight-but-freewheeling formula that Frank created. Frank's band was razor-sharp, like Jame's Brown's - but also hada loosey-goosey feeel to them (check out the 'You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Helsinki Concert CD to see whatI mean). I've actually seen other Zappa tribute bands, most notably 'Project Object' that I think capture that old magic better. Dunno why - it all comes down to alchemy between the players.

Saw the show last summer, 2 Ultras and 4 atomic speakers. Great show and he spent a lot of time after talking to the audience

Had seen them this past spring/summer it was good but two spots were missing the other guitar player (Jamie Kime) and the percussion (Billy Hulting). These guys were not replaced just the band went from an 8 piece to a six piece. Or at least the show I had seen.
Especially without added percussion there was allot missing from the overall vide of everything. I had heard one guy outside the venue compare them to a garage band a bit harsh for sure. Because those six people up there kicked ass, but at the same time kind of understood what the person outside the venue meant.

As for ticket sales, yeah the numbers were a bit off compared to the year before but I really find this for all shows, just the economy really. At least for where I live. Still all in all, a good show and defiantly worth seeing.

Saw the show last summer, 2 Ultras and 4 atomic speakers. Great show and he spent a lot of time after talking to the audience

A little different this time (1) AF II and (2) QSC K12’s I believe. Great sound! Better than the older rig, I has always sat close enough to hear his monitors.

Last edited:
I tried them myself and hated 'em. Too brittle and sparkly. I actually liked my cheap Mackie 450's more. Now, Matrix + fEARFULL = happy (until another GAS attack).

Good show. But only a 6 piece band. Like 6L6C said, there was some stuff missing... It was impressive to hear and see in how many ways the Axe-FX was a part Dweezil's performance and the concept of "Zappa plays Zappa". In his hands, the unit wasn't just an effects processor - but rather a musical instrument and a time machine. He was constantly and very smoothly pulling different patches out of his sleeves, evoking new and old sounds and timbres. That alone could've kept the 2 hour concert quite interesting through out... Luckily the performances were great and the show was quite amusing. Some other highlights were seeing my dear old friend Mattias Eklundh on stage - as a special guest - shredding away like he usually does. All in all, a good show - highly recommended!

Shot some pics:

Zappa-1.jpg

Zappa-2.jpg

Zappa-3.jpg

Zappa-4.jpg

I also recorded a small video clip which I'll probably end up uploading to You Tube when I find the time...

Last edited:
Where did you you hear this ? as of this moment, tix are available online and no sign of cancellation on his site. I've been thinking about road tripping next week but will likely only hit Madison.

Hmm... perhaps I heard wrong. Jade posted on his facebook page awhile back that Dweezil sent him a letter (posted the letter even) that due to poor pre-sale tickets that he was canceling the show. Maybe he talked him out of it, or maybe that post sparked some sales. Just checked on tickets and you can still get seats in the 8th row, so sales can't be too good. That'd be stellar if it's still happening!

Edit: I can't find the post now. I guess it's still on!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom