Seems everyone left RedWirez "behind"

See, you're saying that OH is an upgrade from RW, when it isn't; they're different products. Final mix vs components for a custom mix.

... really? C'mon. Gimme a break... Yes (for me) they're an upgrade... whatever. I'm not trying to convince you to convert to them like I'm a Jehovah's witness or something.

Bottom line: "whatever blows your hair back" (Good Will Hunting)

Because you have to mix them yourself. Using one RedWirez IR is not a mix. This is what I think many do not get.

no, we all understand the difference between a single mic capture ir and a mix ir. hence the term "mix". it's stated very clearly for both the fractal and oh offerings that they are mixes of various mics/preamps that they felt were ideal for the cab/speaker config. although with the fractal mad oak packs you can have individual mic ir's as well.

OH is a bit newer and as such more focused on what consumers want and what sounds good to most. RW's still sound good, and I still use them a bit, but they are a bit older.

Its just like FW11 modeling sounds better than FW6 (to most people at least)

Advancements and refinements are made and people prefer the newer version.

Not realistic to think that the current RW library is going to be as far as IR tech will ever progress and what people will still be using well into the future right ?

No one 'left' anything behind. Own Hammer and Fractal IR's both offer single IR's too, for your mixing pleasure (and hers?). I will say that if you think the approximation you can do with the mixes you can create with them approaches the nuance and detail of how a fully schooled producer/engineer in the actual room with the speaker, mic's and proper mic preamps does, you are kidding yourself. That doesn't mean you cannot achieve killer results at all. It's just inescapable fact - you can 'rough it' with mic positions, but it is not as nuanced and detailed as what the pro in the room can do.

Just because one prefers one over another doesn't make the other suck. I haven't seen anyone say they suck and have no clue where that feeling is coming from.

Seriously, I work all the time with Red Wires, they are great and pretty simple to get sounding excellent once you get your brain around them.

I don't see the issue here, nor understand your persistence in trying to make it an issue. No one is taking your Red Wire IR's away, this is a tempest in a teapot over nothing.

Moving this to IR's.

Discuss.

FWIW, I use both. As with Scott, not sure exactly what your point is. Isn't this all personal preference? Some like RW, some OwnH. Seems pointless to post about more people posting about one or the other. Use what YOU like.

R

Ownhammer is getting more attention lately because they have recently released new IR libraries. ......and they sound great. RedWirez received plenty of attention when thy last released new IR libraries, and for good reason: they sound great. I have everything from RedWirez and Ownhammer, and I make use of both. Lately I'm digging the new vintage libraries from Ownhammer. This doesn't mean though that RedWirez suddenly sound bad or that it suddenly became antiquated.

If RedWirez were to release something new I've no doubt that RedWirez discussions would be seen regularly in the way we are now seeing Ownhammer being discussed here on this forum. Enjoy the RedWirez stuff. I know I do. Don't worry about what's being discussed on forums.

If you can spare the $20 (price?) I'd say it's worth your while to pick up the new Ownhammer stuff. As Scott noted you can use the individual mic IR's and mix them as you wish. These are all just tools. Just as with the RedWirez libraries the Ownhammer stuff increases your available options, and they can both coexist peacefully (my IR directories are living proof ;) ).

The subjectivity argument is a bit silly. You could post a thread about how you think PODxt sounds better than every other modeler and that you're sick of people who prefer the Axe Fx II since it's all "subjective".

OH has put the thought into 'optimal' mic placement, flavours etc. OH's goal is to provide the user with a product that sounds good / fits in the mix. He has at some point collaborated with a producer to achieve that goal.

RW has put their energy into capturing cabs using a consistent series of mic placements. As far as I can tell, RW's goal is to provide the user with the flexibility to make their own sound, good or bad.

I own both. I use OH because its easier to work with, and I think it's unnecessary to fiddle with mic placement specifics in the virtual realm. Give me 'brighter' or 'darker' any day.

I use both with great results and love both. As Chris wrote RW IRs give you the ability to mix mics and positions as you were in your studio. OH IRs, IMHO, are easier to use if you don't want to go into too much details. The length of the IR is not an issue now, maybe it will be as soon as Cliff will introduce the new technology.

i own many RW,OH,the developer packs

I do not agree with left behind at all

If you are in the old Fenders with the notorious unefficient Speakers (but with LOTS of character) there is no other way then to use RW
And if you use Scotts Stereo IR+FF IR blend again you need some RW

So I cannot say better or worse

But of course the new OH mixes are an own category

And everybody has different things to float her/his boat

Roland

I personally don't base my selections on what anyone else uses or likes, I read most all thoughts and suggestions on this forum ,and try them , some work for me and some don't,but if it doesn't ,that doesn't mean it shouldn't work for some one else! And I'm very thankful to all who post them , Extremely helpful! Some tips I wouldn't come up with on my own! But bottom line, I choose what works for me and everyone else has a complete right to like what they like and choose to use! Does Eddie,Vai, Clapton, or any other influences use the same gear or tones? No! It Would be a boring musical world if they did wouldn't it? To each his own and be happy that they can like the tones they achieve by whatever means they achieve it! That's what the AxFx is all about to me ! Freedom to achieve your own goal!!!
I own all the IR's available and personally never bonded well with the redwire 's How ever do use them on occasion they are all good it's up to personal taste! I never bonded with the Old Ownhammer's either, but I'm digging these new ones and the new fractal IR's a lot!!!
Really anticipating the Ultra Res!!!

Last edited:
I use both RW and OH (Bogner, beta, and the new Modern & Vintage), as well as some of the Santiago IRs - they're all excellent. I have been able to get tones from amps that I previously couldn't get to sound good (to my ears) with the new OH IRs. That in no way diminishes the RW offerings. A couple firmware releases ago, I used RW almost exclusively. I look at all IRs as tools in the toolbox. If it works, I use it regardless of "whose name is on the box". As already stated, the OH offerings are new so there will be a lot of discussion regarding them, as opposed to RW which have been out for a few years - and my personal opinion of them is that they truly raise the bar on IR quality. If RW does come out with new offerings, I will buy them without hesitation since they are excellent, and I'd love to see them put out some new / updated stuff.

I prefer being a "chef" with my shit. :)

YES, I agree! Your "shit" is what makes you, YOU! It's as unique as the music you write. If FAS didn't care about creativity, they would have given us a plain-jane box with nothing but some good presets. Instead, they gave us the most versatile piece of hardware on the market, that will likely be topped by nothing other than the Axe III.

I don't get the angst either? I can't find anyone bashing RW?

There are some great RW IR's delivered in the FW too.

Lack of recent threads doesn't mean their product is bunk.

I have been using the Redwirez Ubercab IR since the beginning....compared them to many of the `newer`ones , even private IR`s from other , producer packs and so on..............I keep coming back to that same RW cab...have been recording with it in pro studios with engineers / producers with amazing ears............even they preferred this RW impulse......live it really kicks ass...............and of course : I like it for MY playing and sounds :)
Often hear great recordings from others....when trying those patches...it just does sound better when I replace it with my fav RW impulse...:)

Thanks Redwirez and looking forward to any kind of updates / longer IR`s of this Bogner UberkabT75V30 ....!!!!
Grtzzzzz,
A+

I have been using the Redwirez Ubercab IR since the beginning....compared them to many of the `newer`ones , even private IR`s from other , producer packs and so on..............I keep coming back to that same RW cab...have been recording with it in pro studios with engineers / producers with amazing ears............even they preferred this RW impulse......live it really kicks ass...............and of course : I like it for MY playing and sounds :)
Often hear great recordings from others....when trying those patches...it just does sound better when I replace it with my fav RW impulse...:)

Thanks Redwirez and looking forward to any kind of updates / longer IR`s of this Bogner UberkabT75V30 ....!!!!
Grtzzzzz,
A+

There you go prometh!... some more good, old fashion RW love! :)

By the way , didn't mention, I will also purchase any new or updated IR's redwire produces in the future! I love having the options and they all are worth the investment!!!

I keep hearing people say that OwnHammer's stuff is "better" than RedWirez.

The only difference besides selection is OwnHammer offers mixes for those who aren't up to creating their... own.

Do as you please, but I prefer being a "chef" with my shit. :)

Wasn't that subplot from the book/movie "The Help" ?

I guess people are talking about OH because they are bringing something new into the scene worth talking about. RedWirez haven't brought anything in a long time that I know of. The next big discussion will be the UltraRes IRs (Which has already started). I have pretty much every IR that has come out the past years including the RedWires big bundle all the Ownhammers, Fractals and then some. I don't see IRs as a question of better or worse, I see it as a question of picking the right one(s) for the job at hand. Having all these IRs kinda closes the color gaps in my acoustic rainbow. Just having one or the other is like having a box of crayons with the red, blue and green missing.

Last but not least, it boils down to a matter of personal preference and any discussions down the line of “mine is better than yours!” is just about as useful and productive as hemorrhoids.

Just my 0.02 cents worth…

Back
Top Bottom