Seeking opinions- Cab / Studio Monitor set-up

FXFanatic1!

Inspired
Thanks for reading this. It's a little long but I am new to Studio Monitors. I would greatly value and appreciate any and all of your opinions/insights.

Context:
I am not a pro (far from it.) I play inside (condo), 99% of the time, at low volumes. I might play at a friends house for fun 1-2 a year. The purpose of considering Studio Monitors is to get the most out of the AxeFXIII when playing at home. I don't think two amps would sounds as good as two studio monitors via the AxeFXIII. I dont'think they are true FRFR, plus the cab sounds, etc.

I was thinking of buying a pair of coaxial PreSonus Sceptre S6 or maybe S8(?) studio monitors. I would then use my R.Eng. active buffered ABY pedal out to my Boss Katana 100 amp or Fishman Mini if playing acoustic (sounds sweet.)

I have never heard the S6 monitors in person but many people really like them. I have been told that specifically for guitar they are great due to the coxial design (less phase issues) and a wider sound area. I think guitars only go from 80hz to 1200hz. The S6 frequency listed response range is 42Hz-23kHz (@ -10db.) Based on this should me more than fine but I know there is more than specs- there is feel, etc. They also get very loud if needed and don't hiss at low volumes (all important.) Both the S6 and S9 are 90W+90W@4ohms (2-way.) I know it wont be the same as "an amp in the room." I have great amps already (Katana and Fishman) but rarely get the most out of them since I never crank them up for various reasons- I really cannot. I loved my VOX tube but had to return it- just didn't sound as good at low volumes and I can't crank it up.

I listened to about 10 monitors at GC. The Adams A7X and surprisingly the JBL MkII 5" were my top 2 picks- stood waaaaay out from the others. I can get two (2) S6's for about the same price of one Adam and I heard, especially for Guitar (I don't mix- yet), the Sceptres are amazing. With the sales going on now, I can get two S6;s for ~$800+tax delivered- NEW w/Warranty from an authorized dealer. The Adam T7V also looked compelling and is very affordable ~$249.99 each). Any thoughts on that one? I suspect the S6 is much better??? One day, if $ is not object, the Genelec SAM "The Ones" monitor line would be incredible. I came close to the KH80 as well but heard the S6 would be better for my situation.

1. Do you recommend the PreSonus Sceptre S6 or S8- or any other? Budget is <$1,000 pair. I will sit about 10 feet away and no more- less if I get the stands (not exactly "nearfield.") I read if I don't need much bass (using for Guitar only- backing tracks plays on my home theater/stereo) the S6 voices the mids and highs slightly better since they are not muddied up by the small speaker trying to act like a woofer. Getting a true FRFR would be overkill since I play mostly inside- mostly small area 12'x12' or 12'x20.'

GOAL: I want super detailed, stereo clarity, accuracy, FRFR. I play at low volumes e.g., 3-4 out of 10.

2. Can I (if so, how) run my Boss Katana via an AxeFXIII or should I just go direct to that amp. I like the idea of the delays and effects of the III but the Katana on it's own isn't so bad either.

3. If I casually play at an outside venue (party- just for fun), is it wrong to think I can bring my studio monitors? If so, would I have to make them fact me only? I just like the idea of rounding out the sound. Eventually I suppose I should get a pair of Yamaha DBR10's or CLR's if want to play outside but it's extremely rare.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom