Seeking Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Tone

ozanerkal

Inspired
Hi all,

I just came across this demo on youtube and now I want to have those tones from my American Standard Strat through my Axe Fx II XL. It's got Clean to crunch to heavy, and a wide range of equalising opportunities and I like all the different tones that this guy creates on the video.

Checked the Amp list on wiki to see if any of the amps is a model of it but no..
So any suggestions on how to get near that real amp would be helpful,
Thanks.

There are a ton of Fender models that can all produce very similar tones. The Hot Rod Deluxe is just a very basic, entry level "working mans" Fender amp (with some cost cutting on the build these days)

Having owned a Hot Rod Deluxe and Fender Deluxe Reverb for years... they're pretty much the same thing.
Hot Rod has more headroom.
Deluxe Reverb has better breakup tones.

Generally speaking, at least.

Set it the way you like and crank it up! You have to remember, some of these amps require volume to do what they do. A classic example is the Super Reverb. I had one. In order to get the best tones, you had to crank these to ear-bleeding levels. In most case I've tried the Axe-FX is dead on, once you understand the dynamics of the real amp.

I've come across a few posts like from my own searches and through the suggestions in those and my own research came up with a solution. In one of the bands I play in we cover some songs that have the Hot Rod either on the recording or they use live like ex. Franz Ferdinand.

So out of my own curiosity: The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and the Blues Jr have the same preamp section 3x12AX7 but different power section. The Blues has 2xEL84 and the Hot Rod has 2x6L6. So I just switched out the power tube type on the stock Blues Jr. From other research they had similar cabs prior to 2010. Hot Rod had a Eminence Legend (now has a Celestion G12P-80) and the stock cab on the Blues Jr in the Axe Fx is #79 which is a 1x12 Eminence Legend. All of this is according to the wiki's.

This is a preset with those mods switching out the power section. Scene 1 is the Blues Jr and Scene 2 is the Blues Jr Fat. Both with the stock Blues Jr cab #79. It's set up for my humbuckers so you might need to adjust for single coils.

Attachments

• Fender Hot Rod Deville.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 186
I stupidly assumed that USA mk1V Was the Fender Hot rod deluxe 4.

ODDLY ENOUGH when I ran this through a bose, next to a HRD4 or a Bassbreaker (cant remember) in real life, I could not tell the difference between the actual amp and the FM3 through a bose.

Hot Rod Deluxe 4 would be the #1 amp Id want in the FM3, since its the amp I actually own.

I just bought a Mk 1 circa 1997 (accourding to the QC tags inside) and it still had the stock Groovetubes so the first thing I did was put new tubes in it. I decided to go with JJ 12AX7's in the preamp and TAD Red Base 6L6 power tubes. A vast improvement, but the tone still wasn't right so I swapped the phase inverter with a JJ 12AT7 and, wow... the headroom expanded and the amp sounded much better clean (the drive channel was still roadkill, tho). Then the 12AT7 went bad within 2 weeks so I got a TAD 12AT7 (StewMac was out of the JJ's) and the TAD tube had almost as much gain as the JJ 12AX7. Luckily SteMac got some more JJ's so I got one and on a hunch I put the TAD 12AT7 ito V1. The tone is amazing with my humbucker SG, whether I'm playing them full on or with the coils split. I use the StewMac EC Expander into their Ghost Drive (Klon clone) and then at the end of the signal chain I have a Boss GE-7 to shape the tone. So to recap (pun intended):
V1 = TAD 12AT7
V2 = JJ 12AX7
V3 = JJ 12AT7
V4 & V5 = TAD Red Base 6L6 (matched pair, biased to 75)

Back
Top Bottom