Seeking advice with “home use” wireless setup

I have a basement studio and tried to install a Shure QLX-D for no other reason than I‘m sick of untangling guitar cables. Plugged straight into the AXE FX III with a cable, I get very little 60 cycle hum. When I go wireless I get excessive, hum. To the point the wireless system is unusable. Ive moved the Shure main unit around with no changes. I’ve kinda chalked the whole thing up to just to much RF interference in my basement. After all, the electrical panel is about 12 feet away.

Does anybody have any other experiences or advice or is this just a bad idea.

did you try different channels on the wireless?
Yes, several times. No problem getting an open frequency. It seems no matter the frequency, the transmitter picked up a lot more hum than just my guitar with a cable. To put it another way, it seemed like the wireless system is “amplifying“ the minor hum I normally have.

try a different Axe Input just as a test. use a different guitar cable. also use the exact same cable from the wireless and then try directly to the guitar. you may have done some of this already.

if you can take the Axe and setup out of that room to somewhere else, that will test if it's the room.

good point. check the level on the transmitter itself, as well as the receiver. you may have to dial it back if there's a lot of noise at factory settings.

The unity setting for these units is -18dbi but they don't come setup that way. When I got mine it was +20dbi and it sounded bad.

Have you tried lifting grounds? My Axe III always gives me ground noise when there is something in between the guitar and the unit itself. Sometimes lifting one or both grounds will change or remove the noise.

In my music room, particularly in one corner, there's pretty bad EMF from powerlines on the outside. Using wireless amplifies the issue and using singlecoils amplifies the issue. Normally I can just face a different direction and move around a bit, but with a bit of gain on whatever amp, using singlecoils and wireless it's never good. There's EMF readers you can use to see if that's the issue you're having and basically you're options are to either fix the issue (would require a EMF knowledgable electrician to likely rewire part of the house), live with it, or build yourself into a faradays cage (lookup EMF shielding paint). Currently I'm just living with it, and we'll be fixing the issue when we renovate the house.

Fluorescent lighting also emits a fairly decent amount of EMF, not sure if that’s part of the equation or not but should be noted.

Thanks for all the replies. As it turns out, its the gain on the Shure receiver. There is a lot available. It seems, as someone mentioned, 0 gain is not really 0 dB gain or unity.. -18 or so is unity.

Have you tried lifting grounds? My Axe III always gives me ground noise when there is something in between the guitar and the unit itself. Sometimes lifting one or both grounds will change or remove the noise.
Are you talking about the ground/shield wire on the audio cable, or the ground wire on your power cable?

Back
Top Bottom