Seeking advice from those who've switched from the full Axe-Fx III to the FM3 (or use both)

I have both.

Once I switched to specific preset per song I was able to ditch the kitchen sink and it’s no problem for the FM3. The only thing I might do is throw an H9 in the fx loop to offload reverb.

In all aspects the FM3 has just made me take a closer look at my songs, parts, and playing. The additional planning and foresight needed to work within the FM3 constraints (and let’s be honest it’s not that bad) has helped me make better music.

I have both.

Once I switched to specific preset per song I was able to ditch the kitchen sink and it’s no problem for the FM3. The only thing I might do is throw an H9 in the fx loop to offload reverb.

In all aspects the FM3 has just made me take a closer look at my songs, parts, and playing. The additional planning and foresight needed to work within the FM3 constraints (and let’s be honest it’s not that bad) has helped me make better music.
I appreciate that insight. That's what I'm hopeful for. I enjoy the HX Stomp sometimes just because it make me make more judicious use of Snapshots and blocks; I feel this might be the same way. And, as others have noted, some effects in my Kitchen Sink preset rarely/never get used. Hell, I could have a 95% Kitchen Sink Preset that would most likely run on the FM3 with DSP to spare.

In any case, I doubt I'll make a new preset for every song, but there are some songs that could stand to have their own which would allow me to reduce blocks on the Kitchen Sink. For instance, my band plays Live's "Lightning Crashes" - that's the ONLY reason the phaser block is in the preset. We play 3 Doors Down's "Superman" - that's the ONLY reason I have the chorus block in my preset. I know for SURE that I was wasting at least 2 channels on my delay block. The Enhancer block is great for headphone practice, but kinda pointless in a band situation if I'm being run mono... lots of little things like that.

You guys are bolstering my faith in the unit! I still have a little fear I'll max it out too easily, but worst-case scenario, I sell it and just keep using my Axe III full time.

Okay, I put my "kitchen sink" preset in the FM3 today, which includes the following:
IN > CMP > DRV > AMP > CAB > PIT > DLY > REV > OUT

I'm sitting around 71% of CPU, which seems fine to me, no issues currently while playing.

I find it far easier to move between my FM3 and Axe-Fx III than I did to move between my AX8 and my Axe-Fx II -- with channels and scenes the FM3 is far more capable unit than the AX8.

And being able to use the same FC6 with both units is excellent. I just swap the "brain" and the stuff on the floor in front of me stays the same.

Back
Top Bottom