Seeking a solution for output “switching”

Basically I like to run through my axe fx 3 for effects and stuff (sometimes just the tuner) into my AC15 right now. I was trying to figure out the best solution to changing between the Top Boost and Normal inputs on my Vox.

One way is obviously to create 2 separate presets, but is that the best way? I have to imagine I could have 1 preset with some clever way to choose which signal path / output is getting signal with the press of a foot switch?

Anyone have a thought on this?

Use a MUX block and the OUT 1 and OUT 2 blocks maybe?

That won't work. Never mind.

A good use case for a demutliplexer block wish!

Actually, you can just bypass the OUT blocks, can't you?

This should work:

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 11.04.25 PM.png

Route Out 1 to Normal and Out 2 to Top Boost. Make a control switch like this:

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 11.05.26 PM.png

And then assign it to Out 1's Bypass state like this:

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 11.06.08 PM.png

And Out 2's bypass state like this:

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 11.06.42 PM.png

When the CS is "on" you're using Out 1 and when it's "off" you're using Out 2.

You can even control them independtly if you want.

And, I think if you can even make this work with 4 CM mode if the amp has an effects loop. Need to think about that, but pretty sure it'd work if you bring Out 3 into the mix.

It's late. I'm tired. Try with caution.

Last edited:
Yes, the simplest solution was staring me in the face. Bypass the relative output. Derp! Well, if anyone has any unique ideas to add… hehe

Would anyone actually have tips for how I can fiddle with my output that’s going to my Normal channel of my Vox to bump the volume a little without pushing the amp into distortion? I started toying with compression, which I’ve got little experience with, but is there anything else I can explore?

Basically the normal channel I want clean, but it is hard to get the channel to not be like 10db or so lower than my Top Boost.

It’s not a big deal, but it’d be nice to work out. I’m new to the Vox world, and always learning on the Axe, of course. Now that I’ve asked this question it sounds impossible.

If you are using scenes, you can set the level per scene. I suspect the basic issue might be that you actually need an AC30 to get the headroom you need, or just to embrace the fact that the Vox "Normal" channel isn't particularly bright or clean at usable volume.

Old school Vox users favoured a Dallas Rangemaster treble booster permanently switched on for the Normal channel, and variations on that since. It might improve headroom, but will definitely improve clarity. "Treb Boost" in the Drive models, hopefully still there. Most preferred it to the Vox Top Boost channel back in the day, which had more harmonic overtones than I ever learnt to live with.

Hope that helps.

Liam

Would anyone actually have tips for how I can fiddle with my output that’s going to my Normal channel of my Vox to bump the volume a little without pushing the amp into distortion? I started toying with compression, which I’ve got little experience with, but is there anything else I can explore?

Basically the normal channel I want clean, but it is hard to get the channel to not be like 10db or so lower than my Top Boost.

It’s not a big deal, but it’d be nice to work out. I’m new to the Vox world, and always learning on the Axe, of course. Now that I’ve asked this question it sounds impossible.
Maybe you could set out2 (or whichever output goes to top boost ) at a lower level than the normal output.

Back
Top Bottom