Seeking a solid amp + cab combo for some Tom Waits style country and jazz

iaresee

Administrator
I seem to have tin ears when it comes to dialing up something other than pop-rock tones.

Can anyone help me out here?

I'm looking for an amp+cab combination that'll form the basis of a bunch of patches I'll be using to cover some Tom Waits tunes and other material in that general style.

I'm running a Strat with singles coils here in to a Standard.

The first thing I'm trying to nail down is a clean tone I can build. Something like you hear in the lead on this track: Tom Waits - Going Out West - YouTube

And from there I'm trying to cop the old school dirty tones Ribot is bring to Hoist That Rag: Tom Waits -'Hoist That Rag' - YouTube

I'm running in to dead ends trying to dial these up. I thought the Brownface or one of the two 'Verb models would cover these but I clearly don't know how to dial in these amps -- the three sound the same to me, and not at all like anything you'd hear behind Tom Waits.

Where would you start with these sounds? Cab and mic pairings you'd use?

Thanks!

Okay: factory patch Tiny Tweed seems promising, but it's still not anywhere near that thing happening in the Waits recordings. But it'd make an okay substitute...

Tweaking on Tiny Tweed and I've got this happening: http://bit.ly/mPWdqe

Some extreme EQ after the cab block to junk it up and make a trebly. That feels wrong to have to do that though. Any one got an idea on doing this EQ-free?

I'm not sure just because it 'seems wrong' is actually wrong when it comes to Tom Waites' material. When your drummer is playing pots, pans and bicycle rims as a kit, adding a bit of extreme eq on your guitar amp seems downright blasé in comparison :)

I'm not sure just because it 'seems wrong' is actually wrong when it comes to Tom Waites' material. When your drummer is playing pots, pans and bicycle rims as a kit, adding a bit of extreme eq on your guitar amp seems downright blasé in comparison :)

LOL! So true. But I think, having never really used these classic Fender amps in their real-world form, I'm missing some insights in to how to set them up without resorting to EQ like this.

Criticisms appreciated!

So here's what I ended up with. Two patches. One goes after a Deluxe breaking up. Can be ridden with the guitar volume to clean it up. The other goes after a Champ clean, but pushed near the edge. Thin, bright and trashy. Both have multiple overdrive/fuzz options, compressor and delay/reverb in parallel that gets blended in with an expression pedal.

It worked really well for the jam.

IAreSee - Deluxe 1
IAreSee - Tiny Tweed

Enjoy!

I was really interested is your achievement but the links don't work. Can you upload them again? Thanks

Hold off checking. They need some rework for FW18 and I'm not sure I'll have time for that today.

Hold off checking. They need some rework for FW18 and I'm not sure I'll have time for that today.

Hi there, .. This is the forum section for the Axe Fx Ultra/Standard, the firmware for which finished at version 11. Stating that you are re-working the presets for FW18, suggests you are using an Axe Fx II, (the presets of which are not compatible with the Axe Fx Ultra/Standard), suggesting that you may have mistakenly posted this thread in the wrong section.

Hi there, .. This is the forum section for the Axe Fx Ultra/Standard, the firmware for which finished at version 11. Stating that you are re-working the presets for FW18, suggests you are using an Axe Fx II, (the presets of which are not compatible with the Axe Fx Ultra/Standard), suggesting that you may have mistakenly posted this thread in the wrong section.

Hey, man! Yea, I have long since ported them to my II, though I hadn't checked the forum, just saw the green check mark on one of my threads when I responded. I've just been a Fractal user for that long though -- this thread was created when I was using a Pre-II unit.

I had posted my entire Standard bank for posterity at a while ago if anyone wants the old stuff: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...iaresee-axefx-standard-bank-a-b-c-backups.zip

But if you want the II version, it's going to have to wait.

oops, I didn´t realize that this thread was on the standard/ultra site. Iaresee i was interested on the preset for the Axe fx II. Could you send it to me? And by the way, sorry guys for the offtopic.

Back
Top Bottom