Seeking a simple method for iPhone video recording using audio from Axe-FX III

So you have tested it with apple camera usb-to-lightning adapter adapter ?
Curious if maybe this could work also with regular usb-to-lightning adapter ? it´s 20 bucks cheaper or so..
or in this case it won´t record video + audio at the same time ?
Yes. I happened to have the one called "Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter"....

I had been recording quick videos of my playing, just for sharing with my brother....by simply propping up my iPhone and pressing record. Obviously, the audio quality wasn't ideal....

Then I remembered I already had this adapter. So I connected a USB cable from the FM9 into the adapter, and plugged that into my phone. It simply works -- no futzing about in settings or anything else. After I stopped the first recording, I hit play without thinking about it -- and was pleasantly surprised to hear my recorded audio coming back thru my monitors! The iPhone was sending the audio back thru USB, and the FM9 was forwarding it on to its output as-is (no echo, no extra gain, etc.) Maybe I should've expected that to just work the way it did, but in the glitchy world of computers it's nice to get a win sometimes....

One thing I need to refine is that my monitors are by no means flat, so the recorded audio sounds a bit different than what I'm used to hearing....

So I foolishly thought the camera adapter would take the USB-C end of my Axe-FX USB-B-to-USB-C, but it doesn't; it takes a standard USB cable, unlike my laptop (which takes only USB-C). So it seems I would have to change the USB cable from the "B to C" cable to a "B to A" cable whenever I want to record to my phone, which would be kind of a pain. Is there a better solution?

Like I suppose many people do, I use a USB-A cable and have a A-C adapter on my computer :). I'd do that before I'd trust a 3rd party lightning adapter. I think a handful of A-C adapters is important to have on hand anyway these days.

Edit: Or maybe the other way around would be better for you. Keep your B-C cable and use a C-A adapter. That way you only need an adapter when plugged into your iPhone.

Last edited:
Okay I dug through boxes and sure enough found an adapter and USB-B to A cable; connected to camera kit and phone: works as expected! (and there's the bonus behavior observed by aerial7 above). Now to figure out how to get a backing track from my laptop into the same recording....

It's this usb-to-lightning adapter from Apple. Yes, just plug your Axe-FX directly into the phone using a standard USB cable and this adapter. It works great with the camera app for recording audio from your Axe-FX when recording video. It works great with DAW apps like GarageBand.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...aa9961f494f94992f2c877f724c11afb2bb757fa3ad98
oh man i didn't realize this, thank you for the info

is there just an option that pops for selecting a different audio source?

Scented Meat stereo out of the laptop into input block 2-3-4 of the AFX and connect that block to your output block. Could also add an EQ block in between if needed.

Last edited:
sixtystring I think you're asking if the iphone shows some way to choose the audio input source? Not sure but I think he is recording through the camera app which selects whatever is plugged into lightning port automatically, no configuring required. Not sure if iMovie has a way to choose a source or not.

sixtystring I think you're asking if the iphone shows some way to choose the audio input source? Not sure but I think he is recording through the camera app which selects whatever is plugged into lightning port automatically, no configuring required. Not sure if iMovie has a way to choose a source or not.
Great to know, that you!

Back
Top Bottom