Seeking a simple method for iPhone video recording using audio from Axe-FX III

Scented Meat

Power User
Back in 2015 (which might be the last time I created a video) @Mark Day posted a method for recording video content directly into the iPhone using the Tascam iXJ2. I used it successfully then but now find that the unit is no longer supported (the TASCAM app used for it is defunct) and in any case I can't seem to make it work.

So now I'm looking for a simple way to create a video with my iPhone but employing the audio from the Axe (don't worry I shan't be polluting the public cybersphere with the resulting content). Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Karsten

Last edited:
Put your guitar in cubase or whatever daw you want with your axe, rec the video with your phone while playing and recording. Extract both audio and video, put them in a video software of your choice : windows movie maker, adobe premiere,Sony Vegas , whatever … cut the beginning and the end, export . Have 65k sub in YouTube and ask for a t shirt to cliff 😅

Back in 2015 (which might be the last time I created a video) @Mark Day posted a method for recording video content directly into the iPhone using the Tascam iXJ2. I used it successfully then but now find that the unit is no longer supported (the TASCAM app used for it is defunct) and in any case I can't seem to make it work.

So now I'm looking for a simple way to create a video with my iPhone but employing the audio from the Axe (don't worry I shan't be polluting the public cybersphere with the resulting content). Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Karsten
A device like that is no longer needed. The Axe-FX III is class compliant, so, using the Apple camera kit (usb-to-lightning adapter), you can plug your Axe-FX directly into your phone and use the Axe-FX as an audio source in recording apps.

Put your guitar in cubase or whatever daw you want with your axe, rec the video with your phone while playing and recording. Extract both audio and video, put them in a video software of your choice : windows movie maker, adobe premiere,Sony Vegas , whatever … cut the beginning and the end, export . Have 65k sub in YouTube and ask for a t shirt to cliff 😅
IIRC, the advantage of the former method (using the iXJ2) was that is did not require the intermediary DAW (with the necessary aligning of audio and video tracks, etc.), but rather allowed the user to simply import the resulting iPhone video into iMovie on the phone for simple editing.

A device like that is no longer needed. The Axe-FX III is class compliant, so, using the Apple camera kit (usb-to-lightning adapter), you can plug your Axe-FX directly into your phone and use the Axe-FX as an audio source in recording apps.
I'll give that a try. Thanks.

I use this LINE6 gizmo when need be. Was for older IOS devices with 30 pin connector but works fine with the adapter. I have used an 1/8 headphone splitter to hear through headphones while playing. Also sending backing track to the AFX through USB. That way no other mixer or DAW is needed.

Attachments

• L6adapter.jpeg
    L6adapter.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
I recently posted something similar. I was not able to get the USB to Lightning cable to work for me after I updated to an iPhone 13-no idea why. Even with my old iPhone 8 the cable method was flaky to say the least… I recently bought an IK Media duo and the thing is great! I just run XLR out of the Axe and into the Duo and plug the Duo into my phone- no latency, etc- super easy and stable which is perfect. I went with the Duo so I could have 2 inputs but IK has single input offerings as well.

I wouldn't recommend recording the analog out of your Axe-FX into an iPhone. That will incur extra latency from the superfluous D/A/D conversion, lead to frustration from level balancing, and is more expensive than simply using a camera kit adapter. Instead, stick to using USB output. As long as you're using an Apple USB-lightning adapter, that should be reliable.

I wouldn't recommend recording the analog out of your Axe-FX into an iPhone. That will incur extra latency from the superfluous D/A/D conversion, lead to frustration from level balancing, and is more expensive than simply using a camera kit adapter. Instead, stick to using USB output. As long as you're using an Apple USB-lightning adapter, that should be reliable.
Is it the same cable as the one for charging ?
So, signal chain is just from axe usb out to iphone in.
Then using camera app for video and lightning input for audio works together fine ?
Or this is working only with garageband app or something similar ?

I haven’t experienced any latency to this point. I even have the IK Media fed off of a monitor selector so I don’t have to do any cable rearranging. The monitor selector also allows for input from SPDIF so I’ll keep that in mind if I begin having issues. Thanks for the heads up- appreciated.

Is it the same cable as the one for charging ?
So, signal chain is just from axe usb out to iphone in.
Then using camera app for video and lightning input for audio works together fine ?
Or this is working only with garageband app or something similar ?
It's this usb-to-lightning adapter from Apple. Yes, just plug your Axe-FX directly into the phone using a standard USB cable and this adapter. It works great with the camera app for recording audio from your Axe-FX when recording video. It works great with DAW apps like GarageBand.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...aa9961f494f94992f2c877f724c11afb2bb757fa3ad98

Did you want to use your iPhone specifically? A potential other option could be this - because I use my AxeFX -> MacBook -> OBS (with GoPro) where I can record video with the GoPro and direct audio from my AxeFX into a nice small video file at the touch of a button on my Mac. It is great for those spur of the moment bursts of inspiration, and with OBS I also overlay the AxeEdit screen so I can see exactly what patch I was using at the time.

You don't need the GoPro of course, it could be a normal WebCam, there might even be a way of doing this with your iPhone camera.

It is more complex to setup, but once it is running it is very simple and easy to use.

One thing with the USB to lightning camera cable- I never got it to work while recording video of me playing to backing tracks- not sure if anyone else has had success recording vid with backing tracks using the camera cable?

I tried several things- running tracks from GB included with no luck. With that said, I had issues all along with the camera cable and it may have something to do with how I have my Axe configured (I use Out 2 for my monitors which required some system adjustments). I found it odd that I had no issues recording using the Axe USB out to my laptop and DAW but for some reason got no sound when using the camera cable or adapter when using my iPhone. In the end, the monitor selector and IK Media Duo did the trick for me and it’s a dead simple process with no messing around or latency- I’ll concede it wasn’t the cheapest route but it works flawlessly.

My Apple camera kit adapter should arrive tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom