Securing the Axe-FX II

USMC_Trev

Axe-Master
Esteemed Board,

What do you all do? I don't see a K-slot anywhere and I don't have any kind of rack for it yet.

The reason I ask is I just had my house robbed the Monday before last. They took three computers - a tower PC I built as my flight sim rig, my MacBook Pro, which had everything Axe related PT, LP-9, all the IR's I bought from FAS, a netbook, my studio headphones, an iPod nano and an empty safe.

Bizarrely, they LEFT my Axe-FX II, my Eleven Rack, my monitors (audio and video), all 12 guitars and my mandatory mandolin, my iPad, two pistols and an AR.

How does that make sense?

Anyway I'm on a mission to secure all my stuff. What is the best way to secure my rack gear (AFX2, 11R and whatever else I end up getting like a Matrix)? Also are there any real guitar security methods/options out there?

Thanks in advance,

Trev

Last edited:
You were robbed by kids that took what they could carry and didn't understand the value of the items before them.

An alarm system and a rottweiler would help.

Yep, my large German Shepherd guards my gear with a vengeance. Best security ever. It's funny she's very careful around the guitars not to knock them over.

They probably saw the guitars and AR and realized that the computers would probably get you aggetated where as the music gear may turn into Rambo 5. :)

Seriously though, sorry to hear about your situation. If you don't have your gear rackmounted perhaps you may want to find a heavy rack (or one that can be fixed to something big) and then some security screws for the rack screws. Actually most people who break in are not going to bother with a screwdriver let alone searching for a star/hex driver that fits.

The shit thing is the little feckers know that stuff is still there ..... I'd go with Shasha's suggestion re. rack and I'd be thinking some sort of locking guitar rack too if there's such a thing. The bigger things are the less the appeal for a tea leaf.

Very sorry to hear such bullcrap happen. After reading this i definitely would want to find a way besides having my own German Shepperd guard the property..

They probably saw the guitars and AR and realized that the computers would probably get you aggetated where as the music gear may turn into Rambo 5. :)

Seriously though, sorry to hear about your situation. If you don't have your gear rackmounted perhaps you may want to find a heavy rack (or one that can be fixed to something big) and then some security screws for the rack screws. Actually most people who break in are not going to bother with a screwdriver let alone searching for a star/hex driver that fits.

I'm curious about these security screws you speak of...

if you're willing to invest then, I have a few suggestions:

-carvin fits snagg chips to each of their custom instruments. so, tagging all your valuables with rfid's registered to you is a good start.

-easytrac GPS makes small powered transmitters that can be tracked on their site or with an app. these are small enough to place in your rack gear and they were gauging interest in an ultra small transmitter that could be fitted inside a solid body electric.. the rep I emailed with was Daniel..

-it's also a good idea to make an excel/word doc or access database with pics, receipts, and serial numbers attached to each piece of gear. this can be tedious if you have a lot of gear, but it's cheaper. it gets easier once you've cataloged everything and only have to make entries for each new acquisition.

-install a surveillance system. I had a cctv system installed at my place, which cost around $1500 and the installers did a crappy job. for roughly a third of the price you can buy an 8 camera system and install it yourself. you could also go with the larger home security providers like ADT or your local cable company to install integrated surveillance with monitoring and emergency response. I subscribe to one of the cheaper ADT packages because i don't need their surveillance.

that's all I've got for now man, i'm really sorry to hear you got robbed. it's heartbreaking and we all know what it takes to work to afford it. it's just 'stuff', but you lose the time and effort you put in to earn it as well as the money.

good luck man!!!

Last edited:
Scary stuff...people can suck. Sorry for your headache. I too know the "violation" felt from being robbed by douches like them. I'd like to hear more about what people here are doing to protect their prized possessions...?

I second the dogs idea. I pity the poor schmuck who breaks in with my 40 kg American bulldog inside. Oh and insurance is a good idea too :)

Thieves are scum bags, crap man.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Several years back we had drug dealers across the street from us. This prompted us to put in a surveillance system - cameras (inside and out) / DVR, motion sensors, door alarms, window alarms w/shock sensors. A lot of times, just the sound of the alarm going off is enough to scare these pricks away. We've since bolstered this system w/two Glocks, a shotgun, and a rifle. Nothing is foolproof but it gave us some peace of mind knowing that our stuff and - most important - we were protected. Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom