Secretfluid (free IRs)

speedloader

Inspired
Hey, so I've been into IRs and cab Sims for maybe 15 years. As I've never found satisfaction on the market of cab Sims, I got used to make my own IRs (and hate most of them). When one of those is as good as an IR can be, I brand it as "Secretfluid". I must shamelessly say those are as far as I know the best IRs you can find out there, or on par with the best.

Characteristics

- Not a lazy mix of existing 3rd party IRs. No legal issues, they're free and it's fine.

- Faithful to the amp settings and its gain structure. Bright settings sound bright, warm sounds warm, dark sounds dark, etc. Ready to mix.

- Balanced low end. Neither too tight nor loose. It's here and usable.

- FLUID. They all have a liquid quality from 300Hz to 12 kHz. The top end is dense and the mids are smooth. They sound airy without being fizzy. So you don't need to cut it all.

- WIDE. My ultimate goal and the most difficult part is that they sound kinda far-fielded, yet close miced and full. Wider than most close miked IRs, they're easier to hard pan and sit in a mix.

For now, there are only four. Since they're hard to do and get the seal of approval, I rarely find a way to expand my library, but I'll keep updating this thread every time I make one, of course.

Secretfluid 1 : Tighter and a bit more mid/growl centric and in-your-face, made to compensate for the amps which lack growl. Advised low pass : 12hKz

SF1.png

Secretfluid 2 : Complementary to the 1, its tonal opposite, a bit more scooped and far fielded than the others, with more bottom and a slight combing/phase effect. A more complex signal and smoother top end. I kept the 680hz mid peak as I found it brought more character than issues. Advised low pass : 13kHz.

SF2.png

Secretfluid 3 : This one is balanced but charged with a very dense, excited mid/top section, less far fielded with more activity in the 1KHz-2Hkhz range, yet not aggressive at all. Great for leads as a stand alone, it also gently fixes and fills the holes in your average SM57 IR. It's an IR enhancer, if you mean. Similar function as the 1x6 Oval but much better for that role. Advised low pass : 18kHz.

SF3.png

Secretfluid X : The clearest one, cousin with the 1st, and the most neutral sounding, also the most versatile IR. It has lots of extra top end to brighten the darker amps, yet is still perfectly balanced for modern fizzy amps if you keep the high cut LOW, around 5kHz. Furthermore, I made that IR a bit out of phase, starting about 0.035ms BEFORE normal IRs. So when you mix it with another IR, and keep its Delay to zero, it automatically rolls off most of its extra top end, which you can restore by increasing the Delay. This allows to blend it with balanced IRs without cutting their top end, OR, to brighten a darker IR by rephasing it and using its extra air.

SFX.png

Share if you like!

And feel free to post anything you record with those.

SL

Attachments

• Secretfluid 1.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Secretfluid 2.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Secretfluid 3.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Secretfluid X.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 115
well the description sounds great , shall see, any particular amp you suggest for high gain testing? ps Hey Redd

@REDD They are balanced like a V30 cab, but they're made of so many different sources, from building an IR purely with EQs to using playhrough videos from the web, they don't represent a typical speaker anymore.

@symphx Any amp which isn't vintage voiced will fit the first 3, and the X can fit almost everything. The 1 will balance better the brightest amps with uncompressed distorsion (evergyball, fryette), the 2 works best with the marshall voiced amps if you mod them to be brighter. The 3 as a stand alone will also work better with the fryette/energyball types, though it isn't its purpose to get a balanced tone on its own. I use them all with the savage, mark, EVHs, Bogners, Diezels, Carol Anns..

Last edited:
The secretfluid 3 looks like the frequency response of a old good AC30 with selestion blue sample
(I may be wrong of course :D)

Many thanks for sharing for free.
In a time where all seems to be a question of money, it is worth to mention.

@manu68 The 3 definitely sounds more like a Celestion alnico of some sort. 1&4 are more classic, V30ish, the 2 reminds me of a G12t75. But those are approximations.

These are excellent IR's. I've incorporated them into a few of my higher gain presets (it seems like they're more 'gainy' than some of the others I use...maybe baked in?) Usually as a second IR to others.

I like the 'sit in the mix' feel to them. They cut. I had to add a bit more bass in there when playing by myself, but it brought a few things forward that worked well in a band.

Well done.

@REDD They are balanced like a V30 cab, but they're made of so many different sources, from building an IR purely with EQs to using playhrough videos from the web, they don't represent a typical speaker anymore.

@symphx Any amp which isn't vintage voiced will fit the first 3, and the X can fit almost everything. The 1 will balance better the brightest amps with uncompressed distorsion (evergyball, fryette), the 2 works best with the marshall voiced amps if you mod them to be brighter. The 3 as a stand alone will also work better with the fryette/energyball types, though it isn't its purpose to get a balanced tone on its own. I use them all with the savage, mark, EVHs, Bogners, Diezels, Carol Anns..

How do you go about making an ir based on eq? Are you not shooting an actual speaker cab? I might be confused but interested in hearing how you made these.

Glad you like them @electronpirate :cool: The more gainy effect is simply due to their smooth curve, when IRs are too chaotic, they also sound less wide due to not bringing enough frequencies forward.. It damages the perceived gain.

@Tahoebrian5 I usually shape an approximate rough EQ curve directly in Logic tonematch plugin, and then, I add details to that IR by using the slight differences between a tonematch and an original sound - Exacerbating the differences adds some colors to my rough EQ. I tonematch the result (again) and try to blend it with other EQs I've done to find a sum that is better than the parts.. sometimes I get good surprises.

Back
Top Bottom