Secondhand AX8 - noise/tone problems

jedifredzio

Hello, I am currently on the FM3 waitlist but in meantime I've decided to try out the AX8 and bought used one.

The seller assured me that the unit is in the perfect condition.
When it shipped it had 10.01 fw already - I did factory settings reset and set up proper input level.

At home I am playing on my headphones (beyerdynamic dt 770 pro) at low volume level - I didnt notice any problems at that time.
However when it came to band rehersal a week later and I had to get louder we all noticed strange noise whenever I played any note or power chord.
My own or factory preset - no matter.
Also when I hit the note and change out1 volume knob there is noise too.

I have recorded some samples with factory preset Brit JVM OD2 (bank 6 preset 8) with drive and reverb disabled:

But as I said it happens on other custom/factory presets as well.
I double checked all volume lvls on ax8, no clipping, same on the mixer.
When I've got home, I turned up my headphones volume and reproduced the problem.

Home signal chain: guitar -> ax8 -> focusrite scarlett 2i4 -> headphones
Band singal chain: guitar -> ax8 -> yamaha mg16xu -> headphones

My band mate uses helix and he has no problems, sounds good without weird noise.
No clipping on the any device in chain

Tried everything (with no result) that could come to my mind:
  • different power outlets, cables, xlr/jack connection to mixer/interface
  • different guitar - active or passive pickups
  • changed output level from +4dbu to -10dbu
  • tried different values on out1 main knob
  • remove all presets & cabs and upload 10.01 fw again
  • remove wah block from preset when it was set as auto engage

I wonder if my ax8 is somehow broken or what.
Tried search for the answer on existing topics without success :/
Maybe You guys could help me please

Last edited:
I have only a smartphone here, but to me it sounds fine. What kind of noise do you mean? Sounds like the behavior of my own tubeamps.

I have only a smartphone here, but to me it sounds fine. What kind of noise do you mean? Sounds like the behavior of my own tubeamps.

Same here not hearing anything through smartphone. Maybe someone with studio monitors can chime in to confirm either way.

You typically wouldn’t change the out knob all gig long while playing. It does make some noise while adjusting and playing so don’t do that during a gig.
Other than that I hear no noise in the other clips.

I also can't hear anything 'wrong' per se with the AX8. As Chris said, output knob has that kind of behavior when you move it while you're playing. Other than that, in the next clips the only strange noise I can hear is usually (in my experience) because you're plucking/hitting the strings hard enough to make it hit the frets, so maybe it's either a technique issue or something about the setup of your guitar...

Not hearing anything through studio monitors. Your band signal chain has me scratching my head. Headphones?

Is it something on the mixer board? Is clipping occurring there?

Not hearing anything through studio monitors. Your band signal chain has me scratching my head. Headphones?

Is it something on the mixer board? Is clipping occurring there?

+1 on the above. Our singer owns our practice space and has a small mixer. I plug from AX8 1/4" left out into a DI box and then to the mixer. The DI box brings the signal down to mic level to avoid clipping the mixer, (AX8 has a lot of output). It also blocks the 48v phantom power he has running to power his mic. On many mixers the phantom power gets shoved down all the mic inputs and can't be switched on/off per channel, so maybe that could be causing it?

In my case I'm fairly sure the desk we use probably has line level inputs but I find it easier just to go with the flow and use the XLR provided and just use the DI box, but maybe you could see if you are plugged into a Mic level or line level input and if there is phantom power involved. To be clear I don't know if phantom power can cause noise or other issues, but I avoid anyway. Clipping the mixer is however a definite possibility.

I couldn't hear anything in your clips either btw.

Thanks for the replies, its about some electric buzz/disruption(?) on almost every note.
I can hear it from attached clips when headphones volume is quite high.
I am connecting it to the line inputs - and yes, I am aware of phantom power.
It's very noticable at mentioned high playback volume.
Dont have any studio monitors right now to try it out.
I've attached preset which I used to record clips.
Could you use it and record something with guitar with humbucker?

Attachments

• Brit JVM OD2.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Still not hearing anything that makes this preset unusable or producing "electric buzz/disruption."

Have a gig this Saturday. Will try it at soundcheck.

I've got the same issue, that horrible high treble buzz on every preset, except for the clean tones. I can clearly hear it on your samples, and surprised that nobodyelse seems to hear it as well. I have a multiamp, thinking I was gonna upgrade for the best cabsim sound affordable for me, and I'm so disapointed, can't find how to get rid of that fuzzy/buzzy noise. Multiamp sounds way better, I may sell back the ax8 and wondering how people can think it sounds great

Never had this problem. You're sure you have cab simulation enabled in the global settings ? Post your preset and make a sample recording.

Thx for your reply !

cabs are enabled.

Here's the sample, take care of what's beneath the sound, the very high end trebles.

Attachments

• preset test.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 0
At a first glance I don't hear any buzz but that might be an issue with the cheap office headphones I'm using - if not with my bad geezer hearing. Will check again later at home.

Back
Top Bottom