Implemented Secondary tap function for footswitches

goorguer

I don't know if this has been already requested... or maybe is already possible, but I haven't found anything about it, so...

When using presets or secenes layouts, once you have selected a particular scene, it would be great to have a secondary function on that footswitch. I mean, if I've used FS2 for scene "lead", I would like to configure a secondary function (and color) for that FS, like tap tempo or effect on/off or whatever.

For example:
FS1->Scene1 / FS2->Scene2 / FS3->Scene3
  • Selecting Scene1, FS1 is no longer needed, so it could be configured for tap tempo with it's own label and color. FS2 and FS3 remain triggering Scenes 2 and 3.
  • Selecting scene 2, FS2 is no longer needed, so this time it could be configured for drive on/off. FS1 and FS3 remain linked to scenes 1 and 3.

Moreover, if this was a Per Preset or Per Scene feature, different effects blocks could be assigned on each preset/scene. I.e., where I said "drive on/off" for FS2-Scene2 (on preset 001), it could be "delay on/off" for FS2-Scene2 on preset 002.

some people do need to hit the Scene 1 switch again, if they've changed effect blocks and want to "reset" Scene 1 back to how it was saved, so it's not totally useless to have the same Scene switch available when it's the current Scene.

you could potentially do what you described using Layout Links, and changing to either different Layouts or different views. hitting S1 switch could take you to View 2 of the same Layout, where S1 is replaced by Tap, but S2 and S3 are still there, etc. you'd have to work it out specifically, but i think it can be done.

it could potentially get very confusing if every switch had multiple assignments for Tap and possible Hold functions, so something to think about there too. interesting idea though.

Thanks a lot chris! quite helpful that layout links suggestion, that will do the trick for sure. Will require some rearrangement of the layouts/views but you're right, and at the end of the day it can be done.

I was really used to tap the footswitch of the current preset for tap tempo, and this feature would make it really easy without using an additional footswitch or tap dancing. For effects, it would be like having one additional FS also.
It shouldn't be confusing. If you want to link the secondary tap function (notice that I'm talking only about TAP, not hold), then you can assign it like it's done in the standard function, otherwise, the secondary function could remain "unassigned", so you can recall the preset whenever you want.

Anyway, just thinking out loud...

some people do need to hit the Scene 1 switch again, if they've changed effect blocks and want to "reset" Scene 1 back to how it was saved, so it's not totally useless to have the same Scene switch available when it's the current Scene.
I was curious yesterday so I tried your suggestions... But I realized that whilst tapping on a preset FS it indeed recalls the preset to its original status, the behaviour with scene FS differs, and the original scene status is not recalled, so once used it remains useless.
So now I'm curious if this is how it is suposed to be or maybe I'm missing something related to FS assignments

+1 for this. My wish is to be able to, for instance, use SW1 to toggle between Scene 1 and 2, SW2 toggles Scene 3 an 4 etc.

It would also be very helpful to have a 3rd and 4th, even 8th press function on each switch if so desired. Imagine using one switch to increase scene# for each press of the button, or toggle through all four channels of a block.

+1 for this. My wish is to be able to, for instance, use SW1 to toggle between Scene 1 and 2, SW2 toggles Scene 3 an 4 etc.

It would also be very helpful to have a 3rd and 4th, even 8th press function on each switch if so desired. Imagine using one switch to increase scene# for each press of the button, or toggle through all four channels of a block.
You can do all of this now.

Yes, all of these examples are all possible with existing functions. You can select either Scene toggle to toggle between two scenes, or scene inc (or dec) with a max value and with or without wrap, channel toggle, inc (or dec) with a max value and with or without wrap. That’s all easy.

If you wanted to do some crazy stuff (all on button 1) like press 1 - scene 1, press 2 - amp channel b, press 3 - phaser on, press 4 - delay on, then you would have to setup 4 different views or layouts and when pressing button 1, set scene 1 and also move to view 2. On view 2 you can have 3 new button functions or 2 of the same and only change switch 1 - to select amp channel b in our example.

All in all there’s 9 layouts and 4 views that you could all use to create crazy step-through patterns if you want. But realistically you’d probably get lost and be much better of sticking with scene toggle or inc/dec, channel toggle or inc/dec. The FM3 setup is really very flexible.

On Tap, Choose the Scene Category, then the Toggle function, choose the 2 scenes to toggle between.

For increasing Scenes or Channels, choose the Increment function.

Back
Top Bottom