Second pitch block work around.

Musikron

Experienced
So I'm making the switch to my FM9 and officially trying to recreate the patches I use for my band. I've been using an Ultra for the last 7 or so years, and one song has a preset that uses a pitch block in front of the amp for well, whammy effects. And I also use a pitch block AFTER the cab for the chorus of the song where I'm doing an octave down blended in to help thicken and darken the tone for that part.

The problem lies with only ONE pitch block being available in the FM9. And I can't just use channels because the location of the block after the cab sounds completely different than at the beginning of the chain.

So what would you do to recreate the post cab octave down pitch block? I was toying with the idea using the multiplexer and send / return blocks, virtually changing the location of the block with a scene change, but maybe I'm just not caffeinated enough this morning to make sense of it? I don't need to use the whammy on the chorus, so in theory if I could route it properly it should work, but I may be pipe dreaming.

My back up plan is to try to make something happen with the synth block, but I never seem to have much luck achieving the sound in my head with that one.

Any possibility of adding a second pitch block in the FM9? Presets that were pushing 90% on my Ultra are hovering at around 60% on my FM9 once I "cloned" them block by block. So at least in my use case it seems the unit has the overall horsepower to handle it. Is there any reason we're limited to one out pitch block on the FM9? I will admit I was sort of surprised there's only one pitch block in there, not sure how that escaped me in my initial research when deciding if I was going FM9 or not.

Is the octave down used for single note riffing?

If so, use a Ring Mod (before the amp), set to Tracking and one octave below.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Ring_Modulator_block#Octaver
Yes and no.
The riff DOES consist mainly of single notes with one sustained chord at the end, though I also hit some open strings and harmonics for some added messy texture for that part.
But I'm gonna experiment with the ring mod and see what I can come up with. That's another effect I have VERY limited experience with do it nothing else I'll hopefully learn something in the process.

If you are not using the 'whammy' and the 'octave below' effects at the same time, you could have the pitch block exist pre or post Amp by using scenes, channels, and some creative routing with the send and return blocks.

If you are not using the 'whammy' and the 'octave below' effects at the same time, you could have the pitch block exist pre or post Amp by using scenes, channels, and some creative routing with the send and return blocks.
That's what I've been trying to figure out, buy my brain just starts going all crosseyed on me for some reason when I start thinking hard about it.
Here's where I'm at so far.

So scene 1 has a whammy in front.
Scene two has the octave down in back.
Place the pitch block parallel to the main chain in between the two blocks I'm trying to recreate.
Place send / return blocks where I would want the two pitch blocks to be in the signal chain.
And here is where I start to get confused...
How would I go about changing the input feed of that pitch block? Scene one needs to be fed from the input block and go into the amp block.
Scene two needs to be fed from the cab block, then into to a peq block then the output block. And also, how do I preserve the signal path in the unused send return blocks as I switch the pitch block and inputs and outputs around?

I think this can be pulled off, but I just haven't been able to connect so the dots yet.

Thanks for the help, it's quite a riddle.

Well after making spaghetti out of my preset for a couple hours I have officially thrown in the towel on routing the pitch block to two locations. At least for now...

I did however start messing with the ring modulator and have gotten an almost usable work around going. My issue is no matter what I do, when I engage the ring mod, I lose all the balls from my core sound.
Hope I have hair left to pull when this is finally working!

Well after making spaghetti out of my preset for a couple hours I have officially thrown in the towel on routing the pitch block to two locations. At least for now... I did however start messing with the ring modulator and have gotten an almost usable work around going. My issue is no matter what I do, when I engage the ring mod, I lose all the balls from my core sound. Hope I have hair left to pull when this is finally working!

Put the Ring Mod in a parallel row, with Mix at 100% and Level as desired and Mute In. This preserves your basic tone, and let you dial in the pitch effect.

Put the Ring Mod in a parallel row, with Mix at 100% and Level as desired and Mute In. This preserves your basic tone, and let you dial in the pitch effect.
Thanks Yek, I'm almost there! Though there is no mute in fire the ring mod, just mute FX out, mute out, and thru. I'm using mute FX out now.

Reactions: yek
Any possibility of adding a second pitch block in the FM9?

Hopefully one day a second pitch block will be added. This is sort of keeping me away from the FM9. And the fact that it is not available yet in Europe of course. :)

Well after making spaghetti out of my preset for a couple hours I have officially thrown in the towel on routing the pitch block to two locations. At least for now...
Would this work for you?
Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 4.51.48 AM.png

Scene 1, Pitch(chanA) is before the amp. Mix1(A) mute row 3, Mix2(A) mute row 4. MPlex select row 3.

Scene 2, Pitch(B) is after the amp tuned down an octave. Mix1(B) mute row 4, Mix2(B) mute row 3 and mix the blend in the pitch block. MPlex select row 4.

I'm sure there's better ways to do this but I'm about to go to bed. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Would this work for you?
View attachment 102112

Scene 1, Pitch(chanA) is before the amp. Mix1(A) mute row 3, Mix2(A) mute row 4. MPlex select row 3.

Scene 2, Pitch(B) is after the amp tuned down an octave. Mix1(B) mute row 4, Mix2(B) mute row 3 and mix the blend in the pitch block. MPlex select row 4.

I'm sure there's better ways to do this but I'm about to go to bed. Hope this helps.
Thanks. I don't be able to try it out until tomorrow, but I'll let you know how I make out!

Back
Top Bottom