Searching for a pristine Fender clean

In real life, Fender amps do break up. I like the Concert and Bandmaster as already suggested. I also like the Super Reverb. The key is dialing them in. Guitar volume has a lot to do with it as well. Don't run the pickups at full volume. Try running the guitar volume around 7.

Which brings me back to my treble bleed post in my other thread :)

Have you tired the OSD Clean? It's also fantastic. How clean do you want it? DI clean?

Maybe my impatience has gotten the better of me but I'm not really finding the chime, bell tone like clean with the Fender models. They all break up and have some dirt, or at least when I give it a quick run through. I've been able to get a cool clean from the Matchless model and of course the Shiver Clean and USA cleans come through for a 'bell tone'.

I'm reducing the input trim, playing with the master and drive levels, but I usually get a clean but sterile sound and move on to one of the above mentioned. I'm using single coils on a neck pickup that's pretty low output FWIW.

What the secret? There's so many driven tones to choose from but the cleans are kind of elusive.

I like the Twin model for really clean tones. Crank the gain and MV way down.

Don't you mean "crank the MV up, turn the gain down"? That's how you get a clean tone.
How do you figure that? Turning the MV up adds power amp distortion, which can be significant on some amps.

Since we have a separate Level control of the amp block, we can turn both down to minimize distortion and then use Level to make up the volume.

Remember, we're not in the analog domain :)

How do you figure that? Turning the MV up adds power amp distortion, which can be significant on some amps.

Since we have a separate Level control of the amp block, we can turn both down to minimize distortion and then use Level to make up the volume.

Remember, we're not in the analog domain :)
MV at 10.0 does not make the power amp distort. Most of the Fender amps that have that clean tone we all love did not have a MV at all. On the AX8, turning MV up to 10.0 is the equivalent.

If you don't believe me, just try it. Gain up, MV down will be dirty dirt. Gain down, MV up will be that wonderful Fender clean.

MV at 10.0 does not make the power amp distort. Most of the Fender amps that have that clean tone we all love did not have a MV at all. On the AX8, turning MV up to 10.0 is the equivalent.

If you don't believe me, just try it. Gain up, MV down will be dirty dirt. Gain down, MV up will be that wonderful Fender clean.
It can still add power amp distortion... It may not be a lot, but even "clean" amps have distortion.

And that can be reduced by lowering the MV. Just because the real amp doesn't have a MV doesn't mean you can't turn it down on the Axe Fx. ;)

In real life, Fender amps do break up. I like the Concert and Bandmaster as already suggested. I also like the Super Reverb. The key is dialing them in. Guitar volume has a lot to do with it as well. Don't run the pickups at full volume. Try running the guitar volume around 7.

As you say: Even a "pristine" Fender has a ton of harmonic color: The spank and sparkle: Otherwise it would just be the sound of a loud DI. There's also the difference between 6L6 and 6V6 in that regard. But if "chime and bell tones" are the goal, to my ear that's to be easily had in the realm of vintage EL84 mid-range: I've been going with an AC15 or similar forever for that sort of tone: Or If you want variants on thick and powerful cleans: the Tucana clean or Hiwatt are truly studly, and nothing like a Vox or Fender. Marshall Plexi and EL34 derivatives that aren't too high gain do a throaty sort of clean. Lastly: Deizels are truly great IMO: the clean channels aren't modeled AFAIK by FAS: but you can pretty much get there by twiddling the knobs. While IR choice is important: They frost the cake IMO: But you need the right batter to start with: Tiramisu is different from a Dobos Torte: I do revel in the unique character each amp has to offer.

I struggled with a similar thing; trying to find a really clean tone that held up in a mix. My search for "pristine clean" ended though when I saw this video by Tim Pierce:

Not saying it's not attainable or shouldn't be sought, but now my goal is the perception of a clean tone or a tone that "translates" as clean rather than a tone with the complete absence of overdrive or breakup.

I struggled with a similar thing; trying to find a really clean tone that held up in a mix. My search for "pristine clean" ended though when I saw this video by Tim Pierce:

Not saying it's not attainable or shouldn't be sought, but now my goal is the perception of a clean tone or a tone that "translates" as clean rather than a tone with the complete absence of overdrive or breakup.

+1. When you add a touch of hair to a clean sound, it stands up much better in the mix, and it still comes across as clean in the mix.

And not to overlook the guitar part of the equation. A Strat or Tele with more or less vintage output pickups, and especially at a volume where the guitar resonates in the sound field further embellishes the sparkle and sheen.

And not to overlook the guitar part of the equation. A Strat or Tele with more or less vintage output pickups, and especially at a volume where the guitar resonates in the sound field further embellishes the sparkle and sheen.

When I think of chimey clean glassy jangle (etc) it’s got to have a low output single coil or split coil in my mind.

I’ve seen a couple of videos made by a guy using an AXE FX2 who nailed SRV’s tone. We all know it’s not a ‘pristine’ clean but the Tubey sound he got is something I’ve been chasing for years. It took two amp blocks to do it. Doesn’t hurt that he’s also got the chops. I’d be in heaven if I could get that out of the AX8 and not have to use 12’s. The closest I get is using a Morgan AC amp block. Not quite the same but it retains a clean chime and still sounds loud.

When I think of chimey clean glassy jangle (etc) it’s got to have a low output single coil or split coil in my mind.

I’ve seen a couple of videos made by a guy using an AXE FX2 who nailed SRV’s tone. We all know it’s not a ‘pristine’ clean but the Tubey sound he got is something I’ve been chasing for years. It took two amp blocks to do it. Doesn’t hurt that he’s also got the chops. I’d be in heaven if I could get that out of the AX8 and not have to use 12’s. The closest I get is using a Morgan AC amp block. Not quite the same but it retains a clean chime and still sounds loud.

Tyler Grund. I followed his recipe and created an amp setup that is basically between his 2 amp configs. Works great. The biggest components in his recipe are the cab IR (which he provides for free), the xfmr match, and the xfmr drive settings. If you don't do those things, you won't get close to his tone.

Back
Top Bottom