Wish Search Tags for Patches

GreatGreen

Power User
If Fractal is still taking suggestions, it would be extremely useful if you could apply tags to patches you create for quick searching in the future. Off the top of my head, examples like:
  • clean
  • ambient
  • stereo amps
  • lead
  • live
  • recording
  • high gain
  • vintage
  • modern
  • for single coils
  • for humbuckers

...etc would be great for organizing and filtering for lists of specific kinds of patches without having to clutter up every patch name with too many descriptive words.

From there, add a drop down list or pair of radio buttons to select whether tag search filtering operates on either AND or OR operation (AND = search results must contain all tags searched for, OR = search results can contain any tag searched for) and there you go!

edit: more detail below. Also, I was bored at work, so here's a mockup:

GIbiPsB.png

Last edited:
Yeah, this would be awesome! Artist name tags too. "David Gilmour", "Guthrie Govan", "Alex Lifeson", etc... I really like how Native Instruments does their tagging of all vsts... something like that would be really cool.

Or a fairly simple implementation: If we just had some 64 character or 128 character open fields associated with presets/blocks (in addition to name field), that could work for this type of tagging/categorization. Then in Axe-Edit, a preset search function that checks the preset name, as well as associated info fields for matches. Would make it so users could easily search a term like "ambient", and get all presets that have that keyword.

This is a great idea. I would love to see this applied to the existing presets to make it easier to find different tones.

I love the way Superior Drummer 3 does this. You can enter tags into a search field and it displays those matches. Ideally, the Axe FX III could say which brands each amp matches (e.g. Marshall/Boogie), but I suspect FAS can't ship with this, so it would be handy if users could set and import tags.

:):)
If Fractal is still taking suggestions, it would be extremely useful if you could apply tags to patches you create for quick searching in the future. Off the top of my head, examples like:
  • clean
  • ambient
  • stereo amps
  • lead
  • live
  • recording
  • high gain
  • vintage
  • modern
  • for single coils
  • for humbuckers

...etc would be great for organizing and filtering for lists of specific kinds of patches without having to clutter up every patch name with too many descriptive words.

From there, add a drop down list or pair of radio buttons to select whether tag search filtering operates on either AND or OR operation (AND = search results must contain all tags searched for, OR = search results can contain any tags searched for) and there you go!

WOW--Fantastic ideal ,Time saving searches !!!!!!!!!

Another vote for this. This would make searching patches so much easier.

If nothing else, if we had the ability to make our own ... so if FAS doesn't want to bother with deciding what is "clean" vs "ambient" ... if we could somehow make our OWN labels and be able to filter, that would be amazing.

• clean
  • ambient
  • stereo amps
  • lead
  • live
  • recording
  • high gain
  • vintage
  • modern
  • for single coils
  • for humbuckers

From there, add a drop down list or pair of radio buttons to select whether tag search filtering operates on either AND or OR operation (AND = search results must contain all tags searched for, OR = search results can contain any tag searched for) and there you go!
on the front panel?

I was thinking ... how you showed in your video of sorting the presets A to Z ... what if there was a "category" filter on one of the knobs.

Of course, a workaround for this would be to go through and rename presets "Clean - Petrucci", "Clean - Jazz Chorus", etc. Then it would be easy to just do a search.

But if there was a "clean" and "ambient" patch, it might be nice to have it show up for either.

I'm thinking more studio use ...

I have a song, and I think "Wow, I think something ambient would be cool here" . It would be nice to quickly filter to 20 possible sounds I could audition without doing a massive search.

on the front panel?

I mean, all I did was apply an idea I've heard somewhere else to Fractal's patching. It's up to Fractal to decide if it's an idea worth pursuing, how to implement it, whether it should be added to Axe-Edit or the actual firmware or both, etc. :) I suppose I envisioned it as an extra Axe Edit thing, but now that you're asking...

For the front panel, I could see an extra tab being added to the Preset page, maybe after the "Meters" tab, called "Tags"
Going to this page could show a split screen with a list of all created tags in alphabetical order on the left, and all patches in numerical order on the right.

Quick knob A: navigation up and down the tag list. Press knob to highlight a tag
Quick knob B: navigation up and down the patch list. Press knob to load the highlighted preset while not leaving this page.
Quick knob C: FILTER behavior. AND = only patches populated with ALL highlighted tags show up in the list on the right. OR = any patch associated with any highlighted tag shows up in list on the right. Press to clear all selected tags.
Quick knob D: LAYOUT. Press to navigate to the grid of the currently active patch
Quick knob E: EXIT. Press knob to navigate back to main Preset page of active preset

Workflow:
  1. Navigate to Tags page.
  2. Use knob A to highlight your desired tags in the list. Every highlight refreshes the Preset list on the right to show every patch that meets the criteria.
  3. Once the Patch list is sufficiently narrowed, use knob B to highlight a patch name. Click knob B to audition patch.
  4. When the right patch has been found, click knob E to exit and go back to the patch page.

...you could also add a LAYOUT shortcut to knob D if you want to move straight to editing a patch at the grid level after you've loaded it.

edit:

I'm bored at work, so here's a mockup:

GIbiPsB.png

Last edited:
Tags would be stored in presets. It depends how much space is left and if that space is reserved for future uses (new blocks, new parameters etc)

That's beautiful!

Doesn't seem like tags added to presets would take up much space.

Ideally, it would be best to let the user define their own tags, add it to a preset, and then the Axe allow filtering by this.

Lately, I'm using the Axe to record, so having this in Axe Edit would be more beneficial to me. But having it in the Axe itself would be super cool.

Any news on this? I was really looking for this (tagging) as I auditioned presets…
I am new to the Axe3/Edit so maybe it has been implemented already...?

The only thing I found was the "color coding" of presets but this is quite basic compared to the suggestions above…

Couldn't find a lot of info elsewhere, but maybe I did not search hard enough...

to me, this seems like a bunch of extra work for the user. as you make presets, you have to tag them correctly. then you search for "stereo" tag, but can't find the preset you want because you didn't tag it correctly. also seems like something that majority of user might not ever use. it would also take up memory/space preventing other features in the future.

maybe people can add their own short code to the preset name to track these types of things?

Another idea is if they could increase the length of the preset names... of course, if the architecture/code would even be able to support it. Doesn't have to be readable on the front panel, so no interface changes needed - but even another 10-20 characters could be very useful and you could search on it in Edit.

Back
Top Bottom