Wish Search feature for similar IRs

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
Im not sure if this is even possible but sure would be nice.

The idea is to have a search feature that points to irs that have a similar response curve. Maybe you could choose which frequency range to use in the search.

Use case: you have an ir that is working pretty good or even great, but you are always wondering if it could be better. Being able to quickly roll through similar irs would be super handy.

Or maybe you like the high end but the lows are a bit off. Limit your freq range in the search and it comes back with irs that have a similar high end but different low end response.

you are always wondering if it could be better
The question that's sold 10's of thousands of third party IRs which go on to gather digital dust :)

I think it's a tough task as besides the permutations of mic, mic position, speaker and cab used in the IRs you're filtering through there's still such a plethora of additional tweaks you can do within a Cab block to fine tune you're fighting a battle on 2 fronts.

Sometimes I think the solution is just have less IRs to choose from!

The question that's sold 10's of thousands of third party IRs which go on to gather digital dust :)

I think it's a tough task as besides the permutations of mic, mic position, speaker and cab used in the IRs you're filtering through there's still such a plethora of additional tweaks you can do within a Cab block to fine tune you're fighting a battle on 2 fronts.

Sometimes I think the solution is just have less IRs to choose from!
Rather than search by mic and position etc, I'd rather search by the resulting tone. "Sounds like this one" etc. Shazam for IRs, with sloppy matching.

XLN Audio has a VSTi for drum samples called XO that groups together similar sounds in a "starfield". You can drag around the starfield to trigger the samples. Is a game changer for organizing + finding drum samples. Not sure how you would apply that concept to IRs, but it's definitely an interesting concept.

Ya, I view it as a fairly simple search function that just compares the resulting curves. Seems like should be relatively simple assuming you can easily extract the data from the IRs to compare them. I’m sure I am missing a lot of the complexities and maybe not simple to design, but the concept is simple.

What defines "similar response"? This question is so far beyond non-trivial as to make the task impossible.
well, I would think you could have a set of parameters to define that. So check the freq response at selected intervals and output how close one ir is to another at each freq point. Sum the results and assign a match percentage. Obviously this is in layman’s terms and I’m not an algorithm guru but it seems like it should be doable.

While looking for the same feature I came across this thread, so +1
This would simplify finding the right cabs for sure!

Back
Top Bottom