Seamless switching question

sparkle

Inspired
New to FM3…(been using a kemper for the last year or so)
Would this be correct the best way to minimize dropout..
Using the same amp and cab when going from a clean to crunch tone live…

Ex: scene 1 Marshall at volume 2 clean
Scene 2 at volume 6 crunch…

There would be latency if I went from fender clean to Marshall crunch?

Yes. Changing channels causes the block to reload, giving you the short gap. Staying on the same channel and changing parameter values instead can avoid the gap. For blocks with multiple iterations (i.e. delay 1, delay 2, etc.), you can also switch between blocks to avoid the gap.

New to FM3…(been using a kemper for the last year or so)
Would this be correct the best way to minimize dropout..
Using the same amp and cab when going from a clean to crunch tone live…

Ex: scene 1 Marshall at volume 2 clean
Scene 2 at volume 6 crunch…

There would be latency if I went from fender clean to Marshall crunch?
There would be an audio gap, not latency... Those are 2 different things.

I occasionally go through and optimize my presets to get rid of the gap between scenes, usually caused by switching block channels. I had one preset where I was able to substitute changing amp block channels by just adding a drive pedal and engaging/bypassing it; this eliminated the gap. There can also be an issue if you have a compressor with multiple channels/settings.

There are countless workarounds, but you just gotta play with settings and get creative :)

When changing amps (via 'channels' within the Amp block), the audio gap is no different than my actual tube amps.
I go from Marshall to Fender all the time (live).
If you want zero audio gap, then use scene controllers and the input boost (the best way to describe scene controllers is that it's like turning the knobs on your amp by clicking one button). It's seamless, and super easy to use.

Before I bought the FM3 I was worried about the audio gap. I have the Axe III and was worried that downsizing to the FM3 wasn't going to work, for that reason. I was absolutely incorrect....and I was mad that I took so long to buy the FM3.

The only scenario where the actual time to change a scene/channel within the FM3 would be an issue is in extremely, extremely tight situations like literally changing on a the final16th note of a measure coming out of a solo and wanting to hit that downbeat strong at a speedy tempo. You'd have the same issue with a great many amps which purposefully add a dropout and a bit of latency in switching to avoid a loud pop when switching channels. The actual time it takes the FM3 to load a scene/channel (and even a preset in many cases) isn't an issue at all. That said...

One thing you will absolutely have to get used to is the FM3 switching on release of a switch vs on press. This is due to the way Fractal implements their press and hold functions. Mentally you need to kick the switch a bit earlier than you are probably used to and make an effort to quickly switch. This honestly takes a little practice as when you are used to switch on press you can be pretty sloppy with the switching and it's no biggie. When I had the AX8 I switched the unit to switch on press but with the FM3 I'd give up too much in terms of additional switching capabilities (and I don't think it's an option). I think most people who have issues with the FM3 switching are likely due to this rather than the actual speed at which it changes scenes/channels.

The only scenario where the actual time to change a scene/channel within the FM3 would be an issue is in extremely, extremely tight situations like literally changing on a the final16th note of a measure coming out of a solo and wanting to hit that downbeat strong at a speedy tempo. You'd have the same issue with a great many amps which purposefully add a dropout and a bit of latency in switching to avoid a loud pop when switching channels. The actual time it takes the FM3 to load a scene/channel (and even a preset in many cases) isn't an issue at all. That said...

One thing you will absolutely have to get used to is the FM3 switching on release of a switch vs on press. This is due to the way Fractal implements their press and hold functions. Mentally you need to kick the switch a bit earlier than you are probably used to and make an effort to quickly switch. This honestly takes a little practice as when you are used to switch on press you can be pretty sloppy with the switching and it's no biggie. When I had the AX8 I switched the unit to switch on press but with the FM3 I'd give up too much in terms of additional switching capabilities (and I don't think it's an option). I think most people who have issues with the FM3 switching are likely due to this rather than the actual speed at which it changes scenes/channels.
Well-said. I actually noticed this at my gig on Saturday; when I hit the button a little earlier, the scene changes "on time" and, while of course there's still a tiny gap, it doesn't ruin the song or the flow.

If you don't use a Hold function then the switch fires on press...

Doesn't work for everyone since there are a limited number of switches, but depending on your use case it's an option, at least.
Yup, my way to accommodate for this is to reserve 1 button for 'fast switching'...which means I don't enable that button with a 'hold' function.
That means that one button will switch on 'press' (instead of release). I use it for going in/out of my solo boost. It's the only time I need the transition to be gapless (and 'need' is a strong word...I mean, I'm sloppy for the first 3 notes of my solos anyway...lol).

The capability of the 3 buttons on the FM3 is just amazing to me sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom