SDD Preamp...make it an amplifier

shatteredsquare

Power User
Make SSD Preamp into an amp. It is the nastiest most brutal sounding distortion you can get out of anything, it deserves to be placed at the helm of a 100w master volume ballistic missile. Preferably merged with a marshall JVM-style power section so you have a donkey ton of negative feedback and good control over the PA tone with strong resonance and presence controls.

Call it the BPD

Try this:

Put an SSD Preamp Drive block in front of one of the JVM Amp models. Change the Tone Stack to Neutral. Dial in both to taste. Add your favorite Cab, and stand back!

that's two tone stacks birdman, neutral isn't neutral, it's just weak. SSD needs to be the preamp to some kind of frankenbeast, like a 300 watt solid state randall-replacement, dark side of the sun, flip side of the JC-120 coin type. we need a bad guy. should probably be tested on animals first.

The Neutral tone stack dialed to noon is pretty neutral, with or without birdlike men. Not sure what you mean by "weak."

If you plug a hardware preamp into a hardware power amp and cook the front end of the power amp, it's input gain stage doesn't shit the bed from being overdriven, even if you run the preamp hot as hell into it, or crank the treble.

The neutral tone stack isn't a neutral preamp, it's just a neutral tone stack dropped into the preamp of the loaded amp, the loaded amp's preamp and gain staging remains no matter what tonestack you use. Even using the cleanest possible tube amp, the top end gain staging still falls apart if it gets pushed, it's not neutral in any sense.

Even using an amp with the cleanest possible input gain staging, if it's a tube amp, the treble interaction form the cascading gain of the existing preamp gets messy af in the top and falls apart, a tube power amp doesn't have that extra cascading gain stage of an additional (remaining) preamp in front of it.

To hear what a pedal sounds like as an amp you have to use the JC-120, it's solid state input and power amp and the cleanest possible input gain staging, even without using the neutral tone stack. Problem is it's not tube power amp. I know FAS can't give access to the power amps without anything in front of them, that's why the wish is to make it into an amp.

Yeah, it's not the same, but still about as close we can come for the time being.

Not that random. Danny Lanois, who, legend goes, showed it to the Edge.

To carry the legend one step further, I'm certain I read somewhere that Lanois first showed Edge the SDD-3000 at Grant Avenue Studio, which Lanois built with his brother, back in 1976 in Hamilton, Ontario.

"When U2 were here, they would go over to Tim Hortons and people would say, 'Hey, look at that guy … he looks just like The Edge. But there's no way he'd be in Hamilton,' so they'd leave him alone,"

1588606525339.png

https://www.thespec.com/entertainme...years-of-musical-history-at-grant-avenue.html

Last edited:
@Admin M@ I'm obsessed with that Lanois video. It's glorious. I had it on repeat for a good hour today while I was working.

Edit: his rig is ridiculously simple. It's really all just...him. His touch. That loud amp/soft touch thing is something else. I know what I'm doing this weekend. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom