SD PowerStage 700 advice?

celongcor

Inspired
I recently purchased an AxeFX III and now I a have to make the tough decisions about how to power it for rehearsal with the band and backline for gigging (I will be running direct for FOH sound at gigs). I am torn at the moment between the highly recommended, Matrix GT1000FX and the Seymour Duncan PowerStage 700. The PowerStage 700 seems to be highly recommended by a lot of people, as well. I am considering buying one, but I have some concerns I hope I could get addressed in this forum. I am trying to set up my rig for easy setup/teardown for gigging and, since I have a rack AxeFX and not the AX8, this means using a rack for me. The PowerStage 700 gives an option for rack-mounting but there are some weird things about it. Firstly, the unit is not 1u or 2u, but somewhere in between the two, which seems odd. Secondly, the inputs are on the front and the power switch is on the back, which doesn't lend itself to neat and organized wiring within the rack because of the front inputs, and it doesn't lend itself to ease of observing proper power on/off procedures for a rack system (PowerAmp ON last, PowerAmp OFF first to avoid popping and potential speaker damage to the cab or PA). Lastly, although the PS 700 has an option for rack-mounting, the unit is clearly labeled to allow 6" of clearance for proper ventilation. This doesn't make sense either. 6" in which direction? What about heat issues? Is this really a viable solution in a rack? I have heard that the PS 170 'Pedal amp' is a notoriously HOT piece of equipment after running for a while. Does the PS 700 get crazy hot like this as well? I really cant risk damage to the AxeFX III due to unreasonable heating of the PS 700, and really, who can? ( We all know how expensive and cherished they are! :) ) I was just hoping to get some feedback on the above points from anyone in this forum who owns one of these and/or has experience using on in a rack. I know this unit is also targeted to the traditional pedalboard crowd and, for that application, i would imagine it is a great solution. But for rack gear? Seems a little sketchy... Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Again here are my questions in summary:

1)What's up with the inputs on the front? Makes for sloppy wiring IMHO...
2) What's up with the power switch on the back? Makes for difficulty in proper power ON/OFF sequence...
3) 6" Inches of clearance for ventilation? In which direction? Could be a practical deal breaker in a rack scenario
4) I hear these things get hot, but how hot? Dangerously so, given that it would be in a rack?
5) Your thoughts on the overall experience of using this thing? (Tone & feel as well as the above points)

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and, again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
The slightly better sound quality of the Seymour (IMHO) doesn’t justify the hassle of fitting it into a rack. Either keep it on top of the rack (that’s what I do) or go with the Matrix, is my advice.

The slightly better sound quality of the Seymour (IMHO) doesn’t justify the hassle of fitting it into a rack. Either keep it on top of the rack (that’s what I do) or go with the Matrix, is my advice.

Thanks, yek! I was really hoping you'd jump in on this thread. Are you using the PS 700 or the PS 170? What about the heat issues? Hassle aside, is it at least 'safe' to use in a rack with an AxeFX III? Thanks!

170. It can get hot indeed. Don’t know about risks when racked, only the manufacturer is qualified to say anything about that.

Totally forgot about / overlooked the 700. That’s a viable rack option too, of course

Thanks, yek!! I really appreciate your advice and all your amazing contributions to the forum and the Fractal Community!!

The 700 works perfectly well as long as you give it 2 rack spaces ( 1-5/16" for cooling above the unit). As for routing cables the rack ears have large enough holes in them to allow you to run your cables from back to front through one of the ears or you can simply run the cables over the top of the unit (through the space provided for cooling). As for the on/off switch, the power conditioner I use has a sequenced on/off scheme so as to to turn on the power amp last, and off first.

I have a follow up question for this thread if anyone is still watching. With the Axe III, normally I would use one of the two sets of xlr outs for a send to the house. However, if I were to use the xlr out of the PS 700, is the level then affected the volume from the PS 700, or still the initial signal from the Axe III?

I have a follow up question for this thread if anyone is still watching. With the Axe III, normally I would use one of the two sets of xlr outs for a send to the house. However, if I were to use the xlr out of the PS 700, is the level then affected the volume from the PS 700, or still the initial signal from the Axe III?
I, and many others, send Output 1 to the front-of-house and Output 2 to the power amp. I would not recommend sending the outputs of the PS 700 to the FOH, because I want the most direct sound from my AxeFX III going to the board without anything added or subtracted. (PS-I set Output 2 to 'Copy Output 1' in the Global Settings to avoid having to add both Outputs to the grid for every preset)

To answer your question more directly, I'm not sure if gain is added to the XLR outs on the PS 700 by the volume controls or circuitry of the PS 700, but I suspect that SOMETHING may be added or lost, so why chance it? Just go direct? Hope this helps!

I recently purchased an AxeFX III and now I a have to make the tough decisions about how to power it for rehearsal with the band and backline for gigging (I will be running direct for FOH sound at gigs). I am torn at the moment between the highly recommended, Matrix GT1000FX and the Seymour Duncan PowerStage 700. The PowerStage 700 seems to be highly recommended by a lot of people, as well. I am considering buying one, but I have some concerns I hope I could get addressed in this forum. I am trying to set up my rig for easy setup/teardown for gigging and, since I have a rack AxeFX and not the AX8, this means using a rack for me. The PowerStage 700 gives an option for rack-mounting but there are some weird things about it. Firstly, the unit is not 1u or 2u, but somewhere in between the two, which seems odd. Secondly, the inputs are on the front and the power switch is on the back, which doesn't lend itself to neat and organized wiring within the rack because of the front inputs, and it doesn't lend itself to ease of observing proper power on/off procedures for a rack system (PowerAmp ON last, PowerAmp OFF first to avoid popping and potential speaker damage to the cab or PA). Lastly, although the PS 700 has an option for rack-mounting, the unit is clearly labeled to allow 6" of clearance for proper ventilation. This doesn't make sense either. 6" in which direction? What about heat issues? Is this really a viable solution in a rack? I have heard that the PS 170 'Pedal amp' is a notoriously HOT piece of equipment after running for a while. Does the PS 700 get crazy hot like this as well? I really cant risk damage to the AxeFX III due to unreasonable heating of the PS 700, and really, who can? ( We all know how expensive and cherished they are! :) ) I was just hoping to get some feedback on the above points from anyone in this forum who owns one of these and/or has experience using on in a rack. I know this unit is also targeted to the traditional pedalboard crowd and, for that application, i would imagine it is a great solution. But for rack gear? Seems a little sketchy... Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Again here are my questions in summary:

1)What's up with the inputs on the front? Makes for sloppy wiring IMHO...
2) What's up with the power switch on the back? Makes for difficulty in proper power ON/OFF sequence...
3) 6" Inches of clearance for ventilation? In which direction? Could be a practical deal breaker in a rack scenario
4) I hear these things get hot, but how hot? Dangerously so, given that it would be in a rack?
5) Your thoughts on the overall experience of using this thing? (Tone & feel as well as the above points)

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and, again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
IMG_0385.jpegIMG_0386.jpeg

I have a fan mounted at the rear of the SD rack both amp and fan are on when the surge protector is powered

I, and many others, send Output 1 to the front-of-house and Output 2 to the power amp. I would not recommend sending the outputs of the PS 700 to the FOH, because I want the most direct sound from my AxeFX III going to the board without anything added or subtracted. (PS-I set Output 2 to 'Copy Output 1' in the Global Settings to avoid having to add both Outputs to the grid for every preset)

To answer your question more directly, I'm not sure if gain is added to the XLR outs on the PS 700 by the volume controls or circuitry of the PS 700, but I suspect that SOMETHING may be added or lost, so why chance it? Just go direct? Hope this helps!
Wonderful info! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom