Screw You, UPS

Etudica

Inspired
So UPS just dropped off my custom JP6 Koa complete with some serious holes punched through the box. Case lid is damaged/cracked too. Guitar was definitely jarred hard - the neck shifted in the pocket to the extreme. Too pissed off right now to go over it meticulously. Case is definitely compromised though. Thanks UPS. F YOU.

I was really really really hoping that all of my woes with this guitar would be resolved after this 3rd RMA. Even assuming EBMM addressed all of the problems, which shouldn't have even existed given it was a brand new custom order, UPS has nonetheless ruined my day. What a shitty start to the week.

Hopefully NOT to be continued... but if I find any more damage this evening while resetting the neck I may need to vent some more. Fair warning.

So UPS just dropped off my custom JP6 Koa complete with some serious holes punched through the box. Case lid is damaged/cracked too. Guitar was definitely jarred hard - the neck shifted in the pocket to the extreme. Too pissed off right now to go over it meticulously. Case is definitely compromised though. Thanks UPS. F YOU.

I was really really really hoping that all of my woes with this guitar would be resolved after this 3rd RMA. Even assuming EBMM addressed all of the problems, which shouldn't have even existed given it was a brand new custom order, UPS has nonetheless ruined my day. What a shitty start to the week.

Hopefully NOT to be continued... but if I find any more damage this evening while resetting the neck I may need to vent some more. Fair warning.

I wouldn't touch it. If you do, UPS could push liability onto you as it's difficult to determine when the damage was done/who is at fault.

Sucky situation for sure man... :\

I wouldn't touch it. If you do, UPS could push liability onto you as it's difficult to determine when the damage was done/who is at fault.

Sucky situation for sure man... :\

This. bypass any DIY altogether and go straight into recouping $ mode. You'll probably need to get EB involved as well, or UPS will just spin wheels until nothing happens.

EB already notified and pics sent before I even posted on here. I guess I'll just stare at it for a while.

So after I calmed down a bit I picked it up and started looking it over. Sure enough, the piezo toggle is toast, post is just rattling around in there. I suspect something more severe is up with the neck too but can't be sure. Going back a 4th time. I AM DONE WITH THIS BULLSHIT.

Sure enough, the piezo toggle is toast, post is just rattling around in there. I suspect something more severe is up with the neck too but can't be sure.

Sorry for the hassle bro, seriously. Nothing like buying a $3,500 guitar just to have it boil down to not being able to play it due to shipping/setting malfunction.

When I read the above all I could say mentally is "really? it broke during shipping?". That scenario to me would make me second guess the overall product quality. That's nothing against Ernie Ball at all, but really put this into perspective on where you might play with the guitar someday. Will it survive a 3-5 foot fall in a case? Worst case scenario style thinking when looking at an investment that large [for me anyway]. I am not super familiar with EB's quality as I'm an Ibanez [obviously] and PRS guy. Best of luck to you though, I would honestly put the liability back on EB as it was their choice to use UPS...

It makes me question a lot too. This is the second time it was damaged in shipping. The first time was the day I got it - opened the case for the first time and it had a broken piezo switch also. Makes me wonder about the case design and fragility of the components as well. Since that RMA, it has been back for a defective bridge plate/posts, output jack, and yet another output jack (shorted out and draining battery constantly). I'm not sure what's going with the QC over there.

Again, this was a custom order koa which is what really really pisses me off. My JPXI has been absolutely flawless in the 3+ years I've had it. I expected the koa to receive even more attention to detail, but nope. I could've easily just purchased one from an online retailer that had been hanging/sitting around for who knows how long and/or demoed, but I ordered it direct in hopes it would be absolutely perfect. So much for that.

In all fairness, it looks like this round of issues is soley on UPS, but still, I'm left with an unplayable guitar which would have never had to be shipped across the country ground if there wasn't a problem to fix in the first place.

I already have a 10 top custom 24 on order... most likely to replace this stunningly beautiful paperweight. I'm glad I didn't sell my JEMs yet either.

It makes me question a lot too. This is the second time it was damaged in shipping. The first time was the day I got it - opened the case for the first time and it had a broken piezo switch also. Makes me wonder about the case design and fragility of the components as well. Since that RMA, it has been back for a defective bridge plate/posts, output jack, and yet another output jack (shorted out and draining battery constantly). I'm not sure what's going with the QC over there.

OMGosh DUDE! That sounds awful and I would definitely reconsider that model through EB...

So you have a PRS coming anyway? They're solid man and can take a beating [not like you WANT to].. My Swamp Ash Special was drop before accidentally by a friend in the case... Scared me... No problems with it and I still plays great. PRS hand builds their higher end models so the QC is built right in to the time of build. I just wonder if EB subbed out some of the manufacturing or the components themselves were cheaply made. Sad story, sorry your beautiful paperweight is just staring at you...

Bummer news man... When I was buying gear in that price range I would always set up for a signature just incase of a damaged box. I have had a few that were questionable and opened it right there with the UPS guy. Luckily I've never had a deliver I had to refuse.

That's a real run of bad luck ...... maybe it's fate telling you something?? Send the bits back and get them to refund. Maybe order it again via a dealer and let them deal with the crap.

I had a notion about getting a JP6 unseen based on all the hype .... luckily I held off and managed to get a play with one just a week ago when visiting a decent guitar store while in England on other business. Absolutely hated it lol.

But the thing was, even though it had literally just arrived at the store from EBMM and they had had no time to do a proper 'store' setup, the B string was untunable due to a faulty locking tuner and the output jack socket kept cutting out .... not good for a pricey piece of kit.

I have a Luke 2 which is a solid build ... but then again it's electrics are 90% EMG supplied - tried and tested over the years.

UPS broke a $15 or $16,000 coil winder a month ago. I managed to scored it for $5500 off the ex-US rep for the company. Brand new. It was insured for $10,000. Not sure what they're doing abut the claim though. Packed in a heavy wooden crate, even!

20150224_120107.jpg

20150224_120121.jpg

20150224_121927.jpg

bend.jpg

And here it is, not working..

I'm frustrated hearing this. Especially because I'm about to invest in a Tyler guitar from the US. Then I may have to invest in a heavy-duty pro-case which will double the freight-charge.
UPS and FedEx always gave me trouble, USPS none, but loooong time.

Maybe there should be a law that couriers must alert the recipient at time of receipt that the courier may have damaged the goods, if they have dropped it or crushed it during transit...

Shipping is a high volume low profit per piece business. The goal is SPEED, not being careful. Care takes time, which costs money.

I've had good success with FedEx. They even delivered a killer tube amp completely undamaged that was shipped only in a single wall cardboard box. I was floored.

The one claim I did have with them (as the sender) was resolved quickly and to everyone's satisfaction.

I'm frustrated hearing this. Especially because I'm about to invest in a Tyler guitar from the US. Then I may have to invest in a heavy-duty pro-case which will double the freight-charge.
UPS and FedEx always gave me trouble, USPS none, but loooong time.

Never had a problem with UPS here in Denmark. I think there is a big difference how they run their operation here and in the US.

Yep, not a single problem here with UPS but I always check carefully the box before signing...

Even assuming EBMM addressed all of the problems, which shouldn't have even existed given it was a brand new custom order, UPS has nonetheless ruined my day
I have had this happen more than once. What is the insurance level of the shipment through UPS?
Take pics immediately of: the box, the case, the guitar, the shipping paperwork AND the order receipt of the guitar value and place a claim with UPS (preferably to a UPS store).
I found when I made a claim at a UPS store, the owner can expedite the process some what. You have nothing to lose and possibly everything to gain, up to the insured value.
I have received full value, when my ducks are in a row. Remember tenacity is your friend here.

Doing this will also help with the rage you are experiencingfrom the manufacturer and UPS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom