Screen brightness and can you turn it off?

Do we know what type of screen is used yet, LED, OLED?

Just a little wish, from me, I don't fancy the idea of screen burn (if that's a thing with the type of screen used) and I'd like to limit its usage to avoid having to replace it or return it for repair in three years time...so the ability to turn the screen off or reduce the brightness would be a good feature, as far as I'm concerned.

I dunno, maybe I'm being a bit over cautious with this, but I'd be looking at limiting the things that could potentially go wrong with such a nice piece of gear :)

many thanks

Come on guys, this is just silly, for years people were saying they want a nice big color screen and now we get one and people want to turn it off to “save it”

I think Cliff must feel like he just can’t win sometimes lol
Don’t be ridiculous. It’s quite the opposite. I love the big screen, but there’s a reason that mobile phones and TVs have the option to dim or turn off the screen.

Not every comment needs to be met with negativity like yours. Not every comment is meant as a negative dig at the product. Sometimes comments come from a good place and could be a genuine user need that others may benefit from too.

This isn’t a slight on Cliff or his teams great work, it’s simply a question about options.

The main reason for asking and perhaps the main warrant for having it turned off is that for 90% of my usage, I mainly use Axe Edit whilst my Axe FX is over at the other side if the room not being looked at...what need is there for me to have the screen on then, either burning a static image or potentially wearing itself out.

This place gets way too precious when they presume the product or the company is under attack, that’s certainly not the case...maybe, just maybe, someone else is passionate about the product, just like you...who’d have thought.

Last edited:
I’ve never seen a company implement customer suggestions as often as Fractal Audio does. I’m sure Cliff and Co are making notes on some of the wish list items here. Maybe a stealth mode is possible...

Don’t be ridiculous. It’s quite the opposite. I love the big screen, but there’s a reason that mobile phones and TVs have the option to dim or turn off the screen.
Ha! The Axe-FX III will be fine.

I would bet that my phone screen is on more hours a day than John Petrucci's Axe-FX is on in a week.

I'm also 100% sure Fractal took the time to research and pick a high quality screen that will last.

Come on guys, this is just silly, for years people were saying they want a nice big color screen and now we get one and people want to turn it off to “save it”

Just saw the reply....So people bummed about still only 48K and still only usb 2.0 is OK? Sorry but turning the screen on and off is not a big deal at all.

Actually LCD can get screen burn from same image for long periods of time.

In my experience with LCDs, it's more like image persistence rather than burn in - because it's not from phosphors or LEDs wearing out. In most cases it's also reversible. I've also seen LCD projector panels yellow from the constant lamp heat, but again that should be a non-issue here. On the backlighting, as long as it's LED and not cold cathode (probably extinct by now), that should be fine too.

I don't really know why we'd question these things. FAS has built it's reputation on using the best components and not cutting corners. If there's ANY place I'd trust on this stuff, it would be FAS.

RR

In my experience with LCDs, it's more like image persistence rather than burn in - because it's not from phosphors or LEDs wearing out. In most cases it's also reversible. I've also seen LCD projector panels yellow from the constant lamp heat, but again that should be a non-issue here. On the backlighting, as long as it's LED and not cold cathode (probably extinct by now), that should be fine too.

I don't really know why we'd question these things. FAS has built it's reputation on using the best components and not cutting corners. If there's ANY place I'd trust on this stuff, it would be FAS.

RR

Correct. LCDs can't burn-in but they can get temporary image retention. The LCD is a backlit LED type.

It definitely would be nice too have a "sleep mode" that could turn the displays off after a period and also the ability to disable the AXE FX III blue LED light. Right now a post-it note is filling that role for me but would be great for late-night playing. The LCD screens may not burn-in but my retinas might :) !

It definitely would be nice too have a "sleep mode" that could turn the displays off after a period and also the ability to disable the AXE FX III blue LED light. Right now a post-it note is filling that role for me but would be great for late-night playing. The LCD screens may not burn-in but my retinas might :) !
The blue LED light can't be switched off, however just use some black electrical tape, works great and you'll never know it's there if you cut it nice n neat :)

Can you blame people for wanting to protect their pricey piece of gear? It's a no brainer to want it to last as long as possible, especially when there was a guy that posted not too long ago about his Ultra needing to be repaired, and FAS told him sorry, they don't service legacy units anymore. So with proprietary parts being used, that Ultra has been rendered useless.

Back
Top Bottom