scratching my head here...need a little help...

simeon

Axe-Master
so great news....axe fx III and fc-12 arrived this morning. just trying to set it up and i'm probably being a bit dense, but i have a couple of questions if anyone would be gracious enough to help me out...

i'm trying to achieve compatibility with my old axe fx 2 presets, so i don't have to do a massive amount of reprogramming. i don't use scenes...everything is controlled via external controllers. i've figured out how to assign FC1 and FC2 to external 1 and external 2 and that's working great.

question 1- how to assign footswitches on the FC to externals 3-7. i can make them CS3 to CS7, but i then can't assign CS3 to external 3. i can't figure out how to configure the button to just be an external controller, either

question - when i change patch, i'd like any switches i have turned on to turn off. at the moment, they stay on

thanks chaps!

I have not yet fully grasped all the workings of the FCs yet, but have you tried going into the SETUP/MIDIREMOTE/EXTERNAL menu on the front panel and set the externals 3-7 to FC1 SW(x)..that may be a place to start .....this is a momentous day for us fans 0f your wizardry, congrats!!!!

yup, tried that. not looking for FC 1 SW - that's the switch sockets on the back of the FC

i need to be able to either...

assign CS1 to external 3. it doesn't show up as an option

assign a particular switch on the FC to be CC#3. i don't see how to do this

actually, i've just imported my presets over and the external modifiers are not linked...so i'll have to re-do them anyway

Hi Simeon

Welcome aboard the AxeIII train!!

I see you figuring these stuff out pretty quickly!

And then again enlightening us who been with it a while with new surprising uses!

Congrats! Off topic question. Do you find your presets port well to the AXE3? Amp wise, I mean. I just recreated mine since I have just a few presets that I use.

It sounds like you want to use the FC-12s built in switches to toggle an external controller. I dont thing think the FCs have this capability.

ok, so how do you get the switches to turn off when you change preset?

the mfc-101 did this, but i can't remember what the setting was called....

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're trying to do. You can use a FC footswitch to trigger a MIDI message (via the Axe). You can use external switches connected to the FC (via stand-ins) to do that as well. It all happens in the Axe though. The FC is not a MIDI controller, it can't generate or receive MIDI messages on it's own. You have to make those assignments within the Axe.

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're trying to do. You can use a FC footswitch to trigger a MIDI message (via the Axe). You can use external switches connected to the FC (via stand-ins) to do that as well. It all happens in the Axe though. The FC is not a MIDI controller, it can't generate or receive MIDI messages on it's own. You have to make those assignments within the Axe.

yes, i understand this. matt explained that what i want to do is not possible. that's fine, because none of my assignments have carried across, so i'll have to reassign everything anyway.

Remember, unlike the MFC, the FC is not seen as an external device, so if you want to use an external controller, you'll need to use an external switch, connected physically to one of the pedal jacks of the FC or the Axe-Fx, or the MIDI port of the Axe-Fx III.

ok, so how do you get the switches to turn off when you change preset?

If you're switching modifier sources to CS and want those to begin off when selecting preset: Per-preset FC menu, CS Per Scene "off" for all CS in initial scene.

Note that returning to the initial scene later would switch them off again. If you want them unaffected by scene changes after loading the preset, you'd be restricted to the remaining 7 scenes.

Last edited:
great, thanks b-man!

uhhh...not sure i follow, sorry...more detail please?

edit - found it. thank you

Last edited:
You cannot assign onboard FC switches directly as externals. I don't think that it is an option to include Control Switches as Externals though I see the reason this would be desirable. I will discuss this with @BryantP

Certainly desirable, because it also benefits the exchange of presets between users with and without FC controllers.

great, thanks b-man!

uhhh...not sure i follow, sorry...more detail please?

See FC manual page 37.

The second part will probably make more sense once you locate that page. The CS settings are per scene, so by making the initial scene switch them off, it's always going to switch them off when selected. The other 7 scenes can use any setting (on/off/last) as needed.

See FC manual page 37.

The second part will probably make more sense once you locate that page. The CS settings are per scene, so by making the initial scene switch them off, it's always going to switch them off when selected. The other 7 scenes can use any setting (on/off/last) as needed.

yup, got it, thanks

pain in the butt, because i have to set it for every preset...in the mfc it was a global setting. certainly might suggest it on the wishlist

Back
Top Bottom