Scott Peterson's Heavier Rock Tones - Need some feedback

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
Been working up some new revisions on my core presets and here's a little playback test of some of them. Recorded 100% DIRECT.

(Note: when checking them out... turn that sh*t UP! These are rock tones!!)

Here are the clips: http://snd.sc/ayJiKh

I'll share them soon, and do a detailed breakdown on what I'm doing... for now they are a work in progress right now for some upcoming stuff.

Same guitar used throughout: Melancon Custom Artist "S" - WCR Goodwood/SR/SR H/S/S. All 100% direct, no post at all - no EQ, no compression, no limiting.

The first section is my Cornford tone. Heavy and deep. Lots of cabinet thump.
The next section is my JCM800. Listen to how clean it can go no the single coils, up to that Marshall "Kerrang" on the humbucker. Some tremolo used for a bit.
Then comes the Marsha BE. More bite and focus on the crunch. More aggressive Marshall-esque tone. Also note how clean you can go with just your guitar's volume pot.
Finally my Bogner Ecstasy Red channel. My core go-to heavier tone for modern rock.

Give me some feedback on them if you would; I am trying something totally new/old in approach for me. No PEQ's are in the clips for what it is worth. Red Wire IR's across the board.

Re: Scott Peterson's Heavier Rock Tones

People will be asking for patches so you better post them already. :D Nice tones. You are using Redwirez right? Sm57 OffAxis 2in? What cab? I liked all of them but the last one was lacking dynamics. I think all of the three first amps sound JCM800 esque but I know that's what you love. :)

Dear master chef please share your recipe.

I just listened to those with my Macbook pro laptop speakers. Those sounded really good on it. I'll listen tonight when I get home on better speakers. Impressive to say the least.

Hi Scott, good to hear samples again. Your tone is recognizable no matter the amp sim.
What I like about these tones is that they are - IMHO - honest, real-life tones. Not "mastered-to-death", uber-heavy stuff.
These things work live.

While the tones are clearly different when comparing, I think that all four sound quite alike to the audience in the end.

- Cornford: like it. Sounds like your old XTC Red. Has hair and that "elastic" Cornford feel. Not that heavy. Curious how you tamed the low end on that sim. While I love this sim, I stopped using it myself because it didn't work out as well in the mix.

- JCM: like tones like this a lot! Also how it cleans up. Best of the 4. Not much to improve here I think. Like to see the settings.

- Marsha: more compressed and less dynamics than the 1st two, but that's the sim. Tone is great. I like the first two a little better. [Update: listened again through my home audio set, like it better now]

- XTC Red: I like this the least. Even though it's the Bogner .... Less character and vibe. Sharp, maybe not enough mids.

The Cornford is a little too bass heavy for me. I like the character of the distortion, but I just don't like that much low end in a guitar especially when palm muting. Right at 1:11, my speakers actually howled from too much bass (not to say my speakers are actually any good).

That JCM800 tone is unbelievable! I bet that fits perfect in the mix. It's weird I like this one so much because I don't really like any actual marshal amps I've ever used.

I'm not sure I like the pronounced low mids on the Marsha BE. Again, it sounds great, but I prefer the JCM800. I think anything I would use this for the JCM800 tone would work.

The Bogner is a really nice and full 90's rock sound. I dig.

These are some stellar tones. Much better than what I've been able to coax out of my machine!

The range on the 800 and the Marsha BE model is really nice. The BE is definitely my favourite of the 4 tones. That's the kind of sound I tend to gravitate towards myself.

The Cornford was nice, sounded very very big. Takes up a big sonic space. I could see that working well in a one-guitar situation when you need to lay down the big sound.

The XTC, at first, didn't grab me like the other three clips. But a few listens and I'm warming up to it. It's very focused. Sounds almost like a smaller, closed back cab IR than the others. Was it? I could see that cutting really well in a band situation. With a bass guitar underpinning it, maybe a nice keyboard pad, that's the kind of patch that'd sum with a lot of other stuff going on really well in IMO.

For your consideration here are two of my go-to higher gain patches. No clips right now as I'm at work but I can roll some for you tonight.

The first is based around the Marsha HBE model. I can't put my finger on why I like this better than the BE, but I do. I'll even roll back the gain to get a lower gain Marsha sound rather than switch to the BE. The cab mix is, I think, one of yours -- it's a G12M, V30 mix:

BIGBox/48 KHz-24bit/Marshall1960A-G12Ms/Royer R121/Marshall1960A-G12Ms-R121-CapEdge-4in.wav,0.78
BIGBox/48 KHz-24bit/Marshall1960B-V30s/Shure SM57/Marshall1960B-V30s-SM57-Cap-2in.wav,0.18
BIGBox/48 KHz-24bit/Marshall1960B-V30s/Ambient Mics/Marshall1960B-V30s-KM84-BackCab-3in.wav,0.04

And here's the patch: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/870088/AxeFx/pa ... 20Lead.syx

And the second is a Rectifier model. This is my tight, focused tone. I use it when I want huge I-V-VIII-XIII type power chords occupying a big sonic space. It's using the same cab mix (whaddayaknow?).

Here's the patch: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/870088/AxeFx/pa ... h%20Up.syx

Edit: left my comments *in* the Soundcloud clip. Trying to use the technology! :)

Just finished listening to this through my K12.

I have to say I really like the Cornford's dynamics. It does a pretty beefy low-end to it. Maybe a touch of that removed would make it even better. I don't think I have ever heard one of these amps before. It sounds really good and with some of that low end gone could be the best of all of them.

That JCM was fantastic. Out of all of them I thought this was the best. It sounded like the real deal,clean to heavy. I cranked it up and you could feel it resonate. The cleans were very nice. The articulation was outstanding.

The Marsha was damn nice as well. I would have thought I would like this one the best but the JCM had something special to it.

The Bogner sounded good but compared to the others I didn't like it as much cranked up. Course with the higher gain it did seem more compressed and the dynamics in your playing didn't seem to come through as well.

If I had heard the Bogner by itself I would have liked it, and still do, just compared to the first three it seemed like it was missing definition.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm not a hard/heavy rock guy, but your JCM800 sample is some of the best amp tones that I've heard out of the Axe-FX. Really great.

You should sticky that, so we can point folks to it when they post that they can't get good amp tones from their Axe-FX.

Thanks for the feedback folks - really helpful. I've already reworked the Ecstasy and that one is sounding better based on some of the suggestions; I agree with a lot of what folks are saying. It helps to listen again with fresh ears; and the perspective of other musicians is important to me - good/bad/indifferent. It just helps me to check my own bias's and taste.

Keep 'em coming; I'll continue working and share these once updated and then some more (clean Fenders, pushed Fenders; clean Shiva, grindy Vox/Matchless/Dr.Z stuff; my versions of Trainwreck, Budda, Orange and lots more. Once I get things down tight, I'll detail some of the more popular and/or interesting ones and break down all the things I am trying to do and how I am doing them. I plan on doing some YouTube stuff crafting tones and such for songs, outlining my process given a certain tone and how I approach creating it. My hope is that it helps other guys - not just Axe-FX guys, but anyone trying to dig in and make magic to create and perform music with.

Peace.

Thanks for posting those clips, they'r all good, and you also made me realize i have to spend more time with the Cornford amp, haven't really used it, and it sounds really good, my favorite in those clips, didn't know that amp was that good!

Cornford tone sounds nice on the higher note but gets a little mushy low down, maybe that's what you were going for :)
800 tone it the dogs, perfect!
BE really rocks out, nice and dynamic still
I've had a hardtime working with euro2 since it was updated a while back but your clip sounds great.

Thinking all will work really well in a band mix :cool:

I can't wait to see some more info on the patches, you have a great ear for IR choice and patch setup, it's always really useful for less handy users like myself to see what's going on in other people's setups.

Spence

xpenno said:
I've had a hardtime working with euro2 since it was updated a while back but your clip sounds great.

Ah, you too... Have the same experience.
Switched to Shiva LD, which I prefer a lot.

yek said:
xpenno said:

I need to get a new Euro Red clip up. It is sounding tasty now...

Scott Peterson said:
yek said:
xpenno said:

I need to get a new Euro Red clip up. It is sounding tasty now...

Bring it on Scott!
Looking forward to the details.

That sure is a lot better than before. You got those dynamics back. For modern heavy rock I'd probably like a bit more gain. You Scotterized this Bogner patch... now it sounds all Marshally. :lol:

Clark Kent said:
That sure is a lot better than before. You got those dynamics back. For modern heavy rock I'd probably like a bit more gain. You Scotterized this Bogner patch... now it sounds all Marshally. :lol:

popeye_I_am_what_I_am_T_copy.gif

Back
Top Bottom