Scott Peterson - Recabinet - Optimized for Axe-Fx ?

R.D.

Power User
This is mainly for Scott, but frankly anyone can jump in !

I'm just now getting into the whole world of IR's and saw your comments on Recabinet. You mentioned that you liked some of them, but they were phase reversed and contained some power amp "grit" making them somewhat limited in their application .... Did I get that correct ?

Anyway, you mentioned a version optimized for the Axe-Fx ? I surfed the recabinet website and forum but didn't find anything ?

Any other details you can share ?

TX -

R.D. said:
You mentioned that you liked some of them, but they were phase reversed and contained some power amp "grit"
There is no way for an IR to contain "grit." That results from nonlinear behavior (distortion), and an IR contains only linear information. An IR cannot reproduce amp distortion. It can, OTOH, reproduce amp frequency response, which, in the case of a guitar amp, is usually a long way from flat.

Kazrog said:
Sorry about the phase reverse issue, guys. We will be addressing/testing this in the free Recabinet Modern 2.0 update that is coming later this year where we will be supporting the AxeFX fully. Also there will be far-field IRs using a reference mic, more cabinets, more mics, and way more of everything in general. :cool:

Also, Recabinet Vintage, our second IR pack featuring vintage cabinets and combos, will be released simultaneously with Recabinet Modern 2.0 and will include the same native AxeFX support and mic/position list. All of our existing customers will be entitled to a 50% discount on Recabinet Vintage.

I am set up to use Recabinet in the studio. Will be trying it out on the axe-fx soon as the 2.0 comes out. Just no time these days.

R.D. said:
This is mainly for Scott, but frankly anyone can jump in !

I'm just now getting into the whole world of IR's and saw your comments on Recabinet. You mentioned that you liked some of them, but they were phase reversed and contained some power amp "grit" making them somewhat limited in their application .... Did I get that correct ?

Anyway, you mentioned a version optimized for the Axe-Fx ? I surfed the recabinet website and forum but didn't find anything ?

Any other details you can share ?

TX -

The axe-fx versions cpome with the demo and full package. The next version I believe will be optimized for the axe-fx (full range amplification, reference mic).

You can check out several of the IRs for free, just download the demo.

Recab thread
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2280&start=0

Kazrog said:
EDITED: The Recabinet 1.05 update is out now! Those of you who felt it sounded dark, distant, disappointing, etc. will be very pleased, as we've solved the problem and made the library sound much brighter, fuller, and more dynamic as a whole. Use these links:

Thanks again for all your input, it's helped us continue to improve Recabinet!

What they said.

I do like what Recabinet does. In essence, they allow you to virtually choose and move the mic around on the cabs they have created IR's from.

When they did the first version of this, they did them through a Randall RT/2 power amp. They have one set of 6L6 and one set of EL34 based IR's for each speaker position and each mic they used.

They converted them for easy upload into the Axe-FX. When you say 'grit' I meant 'character'. The Vox speaker IR's that Fremen offered up (for free, very cool of him) were gritty. You can hear it. The Recabinet - as it is now - have 'character'. I found I had to be careful with the Axe-FX "Sag" control... and I've come to REALLY love working with that since 7.04 firmware. So for right now, I'll use Recabinet stuff for certain things; but not for others.

I've emailed and PM'd the Recabinet folks and they are doing the next version of their IR's with a 'no character' SS amp that will be optimized for use with the Axe-FX. In their own words from their forum, they will be "fully supporting the Axe-FX" with all future releases of their product. I am VERY excited about their "Vintage" IR's they are working on for release sometime in Q2 (April/May/June).

I know many here are not cool on folks offering IR's for profit. To me, I want the best available tools for the job and at this point do not have any cabinets to create IR's from so I am dependent on cab IR's from others. There are good ones out there. Jay, Clawfinger, Fremen and others have done some incredible work for us. I use them. The ReCabinet stuff are more choices and in my world, choices are good.

And I'll state this for those asking (or not asking): I paid full price for ReCabinet, so I get their upcoming "Modern" release for free and will be buying their upcoming "Vintage" at their discount for current owners. I'm not pimping them and I'm not getting anything for free from them (a few folks have emailed me with those questions).

Scott,

That's exactly what I wanted to know .... After a couple of months, I guess I'm ready to start exploring IR's and anything that they can bring. Dweezil's VH patch was eye opening in that regard for me.

With no real frame of knowledge, if I had to guess I'd probably say I'd like my IR's wo/"character" as you put it. So, I'll probably wait for the new Modern and Vintage releases .... At that time, if they're THAT good I'd have absolutely no problem paying for them.

I trust you'll keep us posted :D

Thanks !

Are you saying you can use Recabinet IR's in the user IR spaces on the Axe-FX?

AND they are making flat Axe-FX friendly versions?

If so, I may have to put Recabinet on my wish list.

Guitar-Tiz said:
Are you saying you can use Recabinet IR's in the user IR spaces on the Axe-FX?
Yes

Guitar-Tiz said:
AND they are making flat Axe-FX friendly versions?
There were some phase issues with 1.0 but should all be fixed in 2.0
The Axe-FX specific IR's have their own folder in the file.

Guitar-Tiz said:
If so, I may have to put Recabinet on my wish list.
Yes.. You should

Scott Peterson said:
GT - Yes.

RD - when I say 'character' I mean with power amp 'color' beyond the speaker 'color'.

Scott,

Absolutely, I probably didn't explain it very well at all .... But I got the gist !

In my mind, that's not very desirable either. To me that it kind of "overlaps" a couple links in the audio chain ( ie; power amp & speaker together ) ? Seems like Cliff has taken GREAT care to separate out as many links as he possibly could. And then gave the users tonal shaping capabilities over each. To then use IR's that in effect, re-combine ? I can totally see where that could ( or would ) limit your ability to use features that Cliff designed in ( ie; SAG ).

Am I gettin' it ?

Thanks again ....

Scott Peterson said:
GT - Yes.

RD - when I say 'character' I mean with power amp 'color' beyond the speaker 'color'.

I've done IR's through a KranK Rev+ (fx loop return) and the QSC ss power amp with the same settings/mic positions. I can show you a screen dump of the resulting sweep, in case you wonder if there's a difference.

R.D. said:
[quote="Scott Peterson":12lmjy3k]GT - Yes.

Scott,

Absolutely, I probably didn't explain it very well at all .... But I got the gist !

In my mind, that's not very desirable either. To me that it kind of "overlaps" a couple links in the audio chain ( ie; power amp & speaker together ) ? Seems like Cliff has taken GREAT care to separate out as many links as he possibly could. And then gave the users tonal shaping capabilities over each. To then use IR's that in effect, re-combine ? I can totally see where that could ( or would ) limit your ability to use features that Cliff designed in ( ie; SAG ).

Am I gettin' it ?

Thanks again ....[/quote:12lmjy3k]

Yeppers.

Clawfinger - please do!

R.D. said:
[quote="Scott Peterson":1qe3h7lt]GT - Yes.

Scott,

Am I gettin' it ?

Thanks again ....[/quote:1qe3h7lt]

it would only impart the frequency response effects of sag not the non-linear effects. I believe sag is mostly a non-linear function. That is, unless you turn the poweramp simulation off. Best thing to do is try it for yourself.

java, it just feels overly compressed and basically lifeless if I turn up the sag in the Axe-FX using the current incarnation of the Recabinet IR's. IMHO.

Use other 'normal' cab IR's (stock, Clawfinger, Jay, etc) and that 'feel' does not happen.

Note that I do things in mono and prefer to use the Stereo cab block with everything panned center.

Scott Peterson said:
java, it just feels overly compressed and basically lifeless if I turn up the sag in the Axe-FX using the current incarnation of the Recabinet IR's. IMHO.

Use other 'normal' cab IR's (stock, Clawfinger, Jay, etc) and that 'feel' does not happen.

Note that I do things in mono and prefer to use the Stereo cab block with everything panned center.

That may be but the cabs are linear, they are not imparting compression on the signal as that is a non-linear process. The poweramps will impart their eq not their compression.

FWIW, I don't have that issue. But I generally use a mono cab.

Back
Top Bottom