School me on Strats

Why are some so much more expensive than others? Thickness?
Yeah, it's the amount of material. The material is just ridiculously expensive, so they have to charge by how thick a certain pick is. I would advice that the thick ones are a bit of a niche. If you're not all about super thick pics, the regular ones are thick and stiff enough.

Yeah, it's the amount of material. The material is just ridiculously expensive, so they have to charge by how thick a certain pick is. I would advice that the thick ones are a bit of a niche. If you're not all about super thick pics, the regular ones are thick and stiff enough.
Good to know. I've been using Dunlop Ultex 2mm, but it sounds like it's make sense to try something lighter in these. Got a guess what would be equivalent?

Good to know. I've been using Dunlop Ultex 2mm, but it sounds like it's make sense to try something lighter in these. Got a guess what would be equivalent?
I only have the 55 thickness from Bluechip, but I do have all the thicknesses of Ultex here. The Bluechip 55 is 1.4 mm, but is slightly stiffer than the same thickness in Ultex. I would guestimate that a Ultex that is 1.6-1.7 mm would flex the same as a Bluechip 55.

I think you would be good to go with a Bluechip 60. The 80 is the same thickness as a 2 mm Ultex, but it will probably be stiffer than the Ultex. The 2 mm Ultex still has some give to it, whereas the Bluechip 80 would probably be pretty much completely rigid.

I only have the 55 thickness from Bluechip, but I do have all the thicknesses of Ultex here. The Bluechip 55 is 1.4 mm, but is slightly stiffer than the same thickness in Ultex. I would guestimate that a Ultex that is 1.6-1.7 mm would flex the same as a Bluechip 55.

I think you would be good to go with a Bluechip 60. The 80 is the same thickness as a 2 mm Ultex, but it will probably be stiffer than the Ultex. The 2 mm Ultex still has some give to it, whereas the Bluechip 80 would probably be pretty much completely rigid.
Thanks for that, big help since I can't just hop down to my local shop and try em!

Thanks for that, big help since I can't just hop down to my local shop and try em!
I don't know where you live, but I seem to remember that they have a pretty generous return policy, were you could send them back for a refund if they're not your thing (could be wrong, never needed to return any picks). They also have dealers in Europe, but I don't know if they have the same return policy.

Folks who wanted to use Red Bear but backed away, what did you end up with?
As of right now have been using plain old Fender Celluloid pick's 351's, gauges vary depending on what I'm up too, and what guitar. However it always seems to between a medium or a heavy.
Still have some Red Bears and other boutique company's, have not tried them all: but allot! Truth of it, they all have good point's and still use them from time to time. Especially on acoustics this is were the differences shine.
Others, Intune guitar picks. Prices vary depending on what you want. The shapes are pretty much standard and it's a little more about the graphics.
I got mine with the material Delrin, really like it allot and the picks are just made well the bevels are consistent from pick to pick. Graphics are fine but it was the material and shapes that attracted me to Intune.
Like the Dunlop Ultex also.

I always seem to come back to the Fender celluloid, there was a time hadn't touched one in five plus years but still came back to it.
It's not that they sound so much better, make me play better, or anything like that , they just "feel right"

John

As of right now have been using plain old Fender Celluloid pick's 351's, gauges vary depending on what I'm up too, and what guitar. However it always seems to between a medium or a heavy.
Still have some Red Bears and other boutique company's, have not tried them all: but allot! Truth of it, they all have good point's and still use them from time to time. Especially on acoustics this is were the differences shine.
Others, Intune guitar picks. Prices vary depending on what you want. The shapes are pretty much standard and it's a little more about the graphics.
I got mine with the material Delrin, really like it allot and the picks are just made well the bevels are consistent from pick to pick. Graphics are fine but it was the material and shapes that attracted me to Intune.
Like the Dunlop Ultex also.

I always seem to come back to the Fender celluloid, there was a time hadn't touched one in five plus years but still came back to it.
It's not that they sound so much better, make me play better, or anything like that , they just "feel right"

John
How long does the Fender celluloid last for you? I can't get more than a handfull of songs out of them in a live setting, then they're toast.

How long does the Fender celluloid last for you? I can't get more than a handfull of songs out of them in a live setting, then they're toast.
Oh --
Not that fast! But a medium my last a few days for me or even a week, but like anything depends on what I'm doing.

Got to look on the bright side, there cheap!

The Bluechip you use, have you worn any them out? It's one of the few companies I haven't tried. Hear nothing but good things, and they are pretty much bullet proof.

Oh --
Not that fast! But a medium my last a few days for me or even a week, but like anything depends on what I'm doing.

Got to look on the bright side, there cheap!

The Bluechip you use, have you worn any them out? It's one of the few companies I haven't tried. Hear nothing but good things, and they are pretty much bullet proof.
My very first IBJ55 did develop a bevel over the first couple of months (that model only comes without a bevel). After the bevel had formed, it didn't appear to wear any more (similar to the CT55 one I have that came with a speed bevel, which don't seem to wear at all really). I have actually reshaped that original IBJ55 pick, to see if it will get a bevel over time again. I have a couple of brand new IBJ55s anyway, so I can afford the luxury of experimenting on my first one.

So this is probably my findings: They might wear a bit over time according to a players particular technique (pick angle mostly), but they stop doing that after a while and just kinda "settle in". It's weird, I know. But they are self lubricating, so that might explain part of that behaviour. The material is crazy expensive because of that "self healing" property, and is actually designed for and used in the space industry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom