School me on Strats

Andy,
I don't know if these has been asked before, nut what do you think about the G&L S500 and Legacy?

Godin, US made with Canadian parts (in the older models at least, I think newer models are all Canadian made) and there are plenty out in the used world for way under your working budget. I have a Velocity that plays and sounds great although it has a HB in the bridge but there are numerous SSS models.

Godin's are very underrated guitars IMO, this one cost me $450 CAD

View attachment 76797

Last edited:
Andy,
I don't know if these has been asked before, nut what do you think about the G&L S500 and Legacy?
The USA one is nice but they sound like a modern guitar, no classic tone. That said so do most of Fender's Strats made in recent years.
The import model is fairly sound too.

Not to get all micro about it, but the pick I've been using for a while now has gotten pretty seriously beveled, and it sounds better than a new one. I got worried that that might be true and checked, and unfortunately, it's not even subtle, fuller tone for sure. Haven't figured out a sustainable way forward from there

Not to get all micro about it, but the pick I've been using for a while now has gotten pretty seriously beveled, and it sounds better than a new one. I got worried that that might be true and checked, and unfortunately, it's not even subtle, fuller tone for sure. Haven't figured out a sustainable way forward from there
Don't lose that pick....

FWIW, the two I have been using have started to have a minute, but detectable, curve in them due to always putting my thumb on the side with the printed logo.

Don't lose that pick....
Yeah, but it gets more and more beveled over time. Eventually it's going to be too small and weirdly shaped, and the tone will probably change again for the worse.

I should figure out how to bevel them intentionally (not by playing), and make a crop of em. Anybody tried that, with Dunlop Ultex 2mm picks?

Lightly sanding the tip to match a worn pick.
You can order new picks beveled to your liking.
The natural bevel is really smooth though, don't think sanding would do that. Thought about sand and melt maybe?

Where can I order those picks pre-beveled?

Last edited:
The bevel is really smooth though, don't think sanding would do that. Thought about sand and melt maybe?

Where can I order those picks pre-beveled?
I think I've come across Guthrie Govan say he used to "sand" his picks on the carpet...? But just use a high grit fine sand paper.

You found it.
I have ordered Red Bear picks and also purchased their pick maintenance kit.
Very good quality items.
In fact those Red Bear picks I have are about 12+ years old now.

Yes he does. I've tried them but they're not my favorite. If you've tried other picks before and found yourself partial to the Ultex, you probably won't favor the RedBear's as they feel and sound quite different.
I do like them, and Jazz IIIs before that.

I've never played actual tortoise shell, which I guess is their mental model, but gut level that seems drier and harder than the Dunlops. Not into conditioning picks on an ongoing basis either.

So I'm back at bevel-and-maybe-polish-my-own I guess. But that's ongoing maintenance too.

Apparently he has a signature model from these folks:
https://www.redbeartrading.com/
Red Bear, bad product, horrible CS. Bought a couple of picks from them, wore out the first one in no time (less than a 45 minute set). Contacted the company, they said it was my fault for not playing "correct"...

Last year, I decided to try BlueChip. I'm after 18 months of between 2-8 hours of daily playing still using the same IBJ55 for electric and the same CT55 for acoustic. Fantastic picks in all areas (durability, sound, feel across the strings and non-slip between the fingers).

Red Bear, bad product, horrible CS. Bought a couple of picks from them, wore out the first one in no time (less than a 45 minute set). Contacted the company, they said it was my fault for not playing "correct"...

Last year, I decided to try BlueChip. I'm after 18 months of between 2-8 hours of daily playing still using the same IBJ55 for electric and the same CT55 for acoustic. Fantastic picks in all areas (durability, sound, feel across the strings and non-slip between the fingers).
Damn those are expensive!
How do they feel relative to say an Ultex or Jazz III of the same thickness?
How about tone, same comparisons?

Damn those are expensive!
How do they feel relative to say an Ultex or Jazz III of the same thickness?
How about tone, same comparisons?
Much easier to hold onto (they're tacky to the touch). I have a big collection of picks, and Bluechip are the only ones that I don't have to grip like my life depends on it. All other materials slip and move around for me, so I'm constantly wiggling my fingers and shifting my grip to get the pick back to the correct position. Not with Bluechip.

They also glide over the strings in a unique way. They're really smooth, no friction or rasp. And yet, they produce a big and loud tone. The Ultex has a brighter and raspier pick attack. The Bluechip is cluckier, for the lack of a better term, but not dark. The dynamics is also better, or easier to achieve.

I can honestly say that the big leaps in technique I've made in the last year and half, wouldn't have been possible without Bluechip. I can't praise these enough. Sometimes, the hype IS real.

Wow I never had an experience with the pics wearing out like that!
They do wear out don't get me wrong, but I have to wonder if it was a defective material.
Never had to use customer support with Red Bear. But I am a little sour on them.

The last time I ordered with them, a little over 5 months for my order to come, I understand the owner had a accident and was laid up for a while, I was told by a friend. But when he has your money in advance, which is fine. And you keep hearing different famous guitar players just jumped on board and are now using the pics. You start to feel like a schmuck after a while since you did pay in advance. and it seems everybody who is famous is getting their pics way before you.

Also 5 plus months for 3 or 4 pics I can't deal with that anymore and although I think they're a good product to my experience. Just not worth the wait. This order did take a little unusually long however all other orders were usually in the vicinity of three to four months also at the time. Maybe things have changed.? Either way I moved on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom