Schertler jam 2016 ... multipurpose acoustic amp and portable PA

tapx

Hi everyone,

Since I have found something I am really happy with, I would like to share my experience using an acoustic amp to play the axe fx with you.

I have tried with an AER compact 60 MKIII, a David 2016 and a Jam 2016 both from Schertler.
Prices AER 1050€, David 700€, Jam 850€.

My reference for comparison is a very transparent Psi audio A17m monitor I use to play my axe when at home.

What I am after is something portable that allows me to play an acoustic guitar and voice, play an archtop like an es 335 for a jazz band. Use the axe for rock songs. This wil be for small venues or reharsals with a band and jamming with a friend. If there are bigger venues the sound will go through PA and the amp will become a return monitor. Ideally I'd like a very portable combo amp that would be like playing with a mixer in my A17M but easily transportable and rugged for gigging.

That's why I thought of using an acoustic amp since they are more like portable FRFR solutions with an integrated mixer. These are solid state amps which are very flat.

I first tried the AER. It sounds very good for acoustic guitars and playing an archtop through it. It is usable with the axe but adds some boxiness and the lower frequency range is a bit messy. So it left me wanting something better.

Next I got to try the David 2016 and while I still had the AER for direct comparison and my psi A17m as the reference. With the axe, the David is less boxy than the AER and the sound is closer to the what I get with the monitor but it is still not completely ok. With an archtop direct through the amp it lacks presence compared to the AER. It is heavier but still compact at 10kg whereas the AER weights 6.5kg. It is also a quieter amp than the AER though the David is 100 watts and the AER 60 watts. What surprised me is that the David has a better low end response much more present with more oomph than the AER (probably because it is ported).
I also realized that the AER MKIII has slightly hyped midrange and more present highs. The AER is more pleasing than faithfull but still very transparent.

So I decided to try the new Jam 2016. It has a bigger speaker (8 inchs vs 6 for the David, 8 for the AER), is given for 200watts. It is a bit bigger than the David (which is roughly the same size as the AER), has one more channel for the mix. I made comparison between the David, the Jam and my monitor since I had to return the AER. The Jam is exactly what I was after when trying a bigger model than the David. The sound is very similar to the David with great transparency but the higher end is much more present. Playing an archtop through the David then through the Jam gives you the feeling a blanket was removed from your ears. The highs sing. When playing the axe through it the sound is very close to my monitor and as pleasing but the 8 inch membrane with 2 ports delivers more oomph in the low end (the psi has a 6.5 inch membrane). It's not yet a cab in the room feeling but that's close to it.

If you are looking for a multipurpose solution giving a very faithfull and pleasing sound with the axe I would recommend trying the Jam 2016. Be carefull that there are older versions of the Jam named 100 150 400 that have a different preamp circuit and a different design for the onboard mixer. I am not sure you will get the same result with these.

If weight is not an issue there is a new unico 2016 which is 250watts and may be even better for the axe (10 inch membrane).

Last, don't let yourself troubled by the wattage for the schertlers. It is the maximum power of the amp but it is not fully usable. The power is here to give a larger usable range in the sweet spot of the amp. So it explains why the David is quieter than the AER though being more powerful. The AER uses a trick to keep deliver more sound at the highest volumes. It compresses the signal, hence the loudest levels remain very usable but are altered.

To sum up the JAM 2016,
5 inputs:
1 instrument channel (10v switchable phantom power)
1 instrument/microphone channel (10v/24v switchable phantom power)
1 microphone channel (24v switchable phantom power)
1 mp3/PC in
1 effects in

outputs:
line out
DI out

digital reverb with adjustable decay (alesis)

8" woofer 150watts
1" tweeter 50watts

50-20kz at -3db response.

324 x 297 x 380 mm

12.2kg

Last difference the AER comes with a gig bag whereas you need to buy it for the Schertler amps and it costs 89€ (ouch).

Tapx

Last edited:
I should add that I was advised by the offical dealer in France (Luthier F. Gougi) to take an anthracite finish and not the wood one. The lacquer used in anthracite version results in better sound clarity.

I should add that I was advised by the offical dealer in France (Luthier F. Gougi) to take an anthracite finish and not the wood one. The lacquer used in anthracite version results in better sound clarity.

Thanks for reporting. I posted exactly the same subject here some weeks ago. Asked for the AER Ag8 monitor experience since I tried my AX8 with my ACUS 6 which is supposed be sound wise even one notch up compared to AER and Schertler. I was not completely satisfied with the result as the Ooomp and Thump was missing, but that may be due to the 6" speaker. Still I think acoustic amps may not be fully up to the task as most of them are not so flat sounding and color the sound quite a bit. Great it works for you and I may try the new Schertler when I have the chance to do so.

I once tried the Schertler Unico of a friend with my Axe FX II.
While it sounds stellar with an acoustic guitar plugged straight in the preset response was not sounding good with anything electric played through the Axe and it was miles away from being flat or comaptible with PA gear.

Unico. That's the one I had.

Used it for wedding gigs.

Sold it when I bought the Xitone 2x12 passive cabs and Carvin DCM1540. That was a significantly better PA system (and a killer rig for my Axe FX).

Yes the Schertler amp is still less satisfying than my monitor and certainly a specifically designed solution is better.

It is a compromise that fits my needs.

I am not saying it is the solution for amplifying the axe. For instance I never spoke about the amp in the room feeling.

I am not trying to convince people to change their frfr cabs for acoustic amps.

My point is I need a do it all solution. Most of the time I plug directly in the amp with an archtop or an acoustic and I also want the integrated mixer with several channels.

As for acoustic amps coloring the sound that's exactly what I disliked with the AER. I have a very good sound with my archtop but the axe sounds boxy while still usable and I could have lived with it.

The Jam was much better with comparable sound of my archtop direct in the amp and good mixing possibilities. So for me the quest ends here.

Don't expect more oomph from the Schertler than the Acus. The design is similar. Still I find it is surprising how such a small amp can give you as much low end response. For the story, Acus is actually a brand created by an ancient engineer from the Italian firm manufacturing the Schertler amp. This guy left when Schertler took control of the firm.

As for the Unico I would like to try the unico 2016 since it has a 10 inch woofer. The older Unico is similar to the Jam 2016 I now have.

Tapx

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom