Sceptre S8 vs Yamaha HS8 vs Neumann KH 120a

Yamaha HS8 or Presonus Sceptre S8 or Neumann KH 120a, in a small, untreated rm, monitors near wall

• Total voters

Docster

In an untreated room (10'x12') having to place the monitors close to the walls (6 inches) - go for the Yamaha's or spend more on S8's, or KH 120a's?

Last edited:
Less expensive, smaller physical size, you have a small space and less than ideal placement.

Add the t8 or t10 subwoofer if you feel you need more low end, t10 is cool as you can use a foot switch to bypass it in the fly

The more I research the HS8's (rear ported), I am concerned regarding placement near the wall (6 inches). I am adding the Neumann KH 120a to the poll due to front porting

Last edited:
The more I research the HS8's (rear ported), I am concerned regarding placement near the wall (6 inches). I am adding the Neumann KH 120a to the poll due to front porting
6 inches from the wall should be completely fine with the HS8. With rear ported monitors, the simple rule of thumb is ~2 times the port diameter away from the wall. Bass frequencies are omnidirectional whether a monitor is rear or front ported. The port being close to the wall effectively lengthens the port and tunes it lower, so simply avoid that by following the rule of thumb, then you have no problem. HS8's port diameter shouldn't be bigger than 3 inches, so you're fine.

I like the Sceptres too, but go with whatever you want :p

Back
Top Bottom