Scenes: songs with 3 different amp tones?

Jimfist,

That's interesting. How would this work between let's say one clean amp, one distorted amp and another different distorted amp? Like this?

Clean: Scene 1: Amp 1 X "Jazz" (active); Amp 2 X "Mark 2c" (inactive)

Distorted Rhythm: Scene 2: switches to Amp 2 X seamlessly, but at the same time changes amp 1 to its Y state: Amp 1 Y "Brown" (inactive); Amp 2 X "Mark 2c" (active)

Different Distorted Solo: Scene 3: Switches to Amp 1 Y seamlessly, and at the same time changes amp 2 to its Y state: Amp 1 Y "Brown" (active); Amp 2 Y "Mark 2c" again...(inactive)

Back to Distorted Rhythm: Scene 4: Switches to Amp 2 Y seamlessly, but at the same time changes amp 1 to its X state: Amp 1 X "Jazz" (inactive); Amp 2 Y "Mark 2c" again...(active)

Yes/No?

In other words, make the inactive amp in any given scene the amp that you will use in the next scene?

Maybe you could avoid any pop or weird sounds by starting with Amp1 X in Scene 1, then Scene 2 could use Amp 2 X (so no drop out or pop) and at the same time Scene 2 could also switch Amp 1 (which will now be bypassed) to Y so that it is ready in the Y state for Scene 3, and then Scene 3 could use Amp 1 Y which would have no drop out or pop because it was switched to the Y state when it was bypassed in Scene 2.

I believe you have the gist of what I'm thinking here. I guess the key to this is what engages first when changing from one scene to the next. Using the example, if changing from Scene 1 to Scene 2, does it switch to AMP 2 before AMP 1 switches its x/y state? If not, then this all may be a moot point. I've not had a chance to mess with this yet. Also, I'm guessing that you don't want to put both of your amps in line (serial) with each other, and should make them parallel streams with the hope of minimizing switching noises.

Maybe you could avoid any pop or weird sounds by starting with Amp1 X in Scene 1, then Scene 2 could use Amp 2 X (so no drop out or pop) and at the same time Scene 2 could also switch Amp 1 (which will now be bypassed) to Y so that it is ready in the Y state for Scene 3, and then Scene 3 could use Amp 1 Y which would have no drop out or pop because it was switched to the Y state when it was bypassed in Scene 2.

Yes, that's what we're theorizing about right now. I hope it works this way without artifacts. Not at my AxeFx right now...

Is there only a gap when using amp x/y? Or does that happen when attempting to use any x/y block? For example on the delay

The answer to avoiding the pop is to have the amp blocks in parallel and set the bypass for the amp blocks to mute. This works perfectly with no pops. The switching is seamless.

Enjoy !!!

The answer to avoiding the pop is to have the amp blocks in parallel and set the bypass for the amp blocks to mute. This works perfectly with no pops. The switching is seamless.

Enjoy !!!

I assumed that guys are running parallel. I could not imagine running two amps in series

So, with amps in parallel and bypass set for mute, making the inactive amp in any given scene the amp that you will use in the next scene that I mentioned is unnecessary?

If you use x y amps in scenes you will have a little gap when switching. Gapless switching works only in scenes with x amps.

I think this is where using 2 amps comes in. U should be able to switch between x and y in the same scene without a gap. This gives 2 amps already. Now make scene 1 with a second amp, but in scene 1 its bypassed, in scene 2 the first amp is bypassed but not the second. Haven't tried it yet, but although it uses more cpu, it should have a delay or time gap, right?

But i think this only gives 3 amps total with no gap?

Last edited:
Think of it as in a given scene you select the amp and the X or Y. The other amp is set to inactive. I setup all of my patches this way. Works excellent.

there is a thread in the forum if you search: two amps with no dropouts. Basically, you set up a signal chain with 2 amps (and even 2 cabs) in parallel. You set up a modifier tied to the bypass of each amp block, set to MUTE. You reverse the sweep of the modifier on Amp 2, so that when the modifier is on, amp 1 is on, and amp 2 is off. When the modifier is off, amp 1 is off and amp 2 is on. Fractal developed this signal chain idea for a top level pro touring musician that was extremely sensitive to signal drop out during patch changes. Scenes, working in conjunction with a signal chain like the one I described, works.

Your amp jumps should be like this: scene 1 - Amp1X, scene 2 - Amp2X, scene 3 - Amp1Y, scene 4 - Amp2Y. Hopefully, the song doesn't require to you to jump between scene 1 and 3 or scene 2 and 4 or back again, which would mean you were really just shifting your tone from one of the amp's X axis, to it's Y axis.

I am running my rig this way, and there is no signal loss. Again, I set my signal chain up with 2 cabinets too, which of course means I have 4 cabs if I choose to use them. I do not have my signal cross patched, so that Amp1 can access cab 2 or amp 2 can access cab 1. If I did that, sure, I would have many more choices, but if I need that kind of super choices for one song, I would just create another preset and jump to it.

This is the most powerful way to run the Axe FX without losing spill over and tone while switching amps. I just started using it 2 weeks ago, and I'll never go back. I will also tell you, that, depending on the number of effects you run in your chain, you will probably have to designate your cabinets to run in LoRes mode, which still sounds unbelieveable, especially live and in concert. Yes, if you were going to record an album, I would say, use HiRes. But then again, you would not be trying to switch patches with zero dropouts, in a recording session. You would just arm your patch, and punch in cleanly at the next song section. For live playing, the low-res cabinets are stellar (just like the Axe Ultra).

Hope this helps. Again - search the thread for Adam's post on this with full explanation.

Keep rockin'

Is it really necessary to add the modifier to the bypass state when we now have the scenes function? (Adamcook wrote that advisement post in early July, before scenes)

You are probably right, you could choose a scene, and then put one amp in bypass, and the other active. As long as you had the output of the amp upon bypass set to MUTE, so that no un-amped guitar signal passed through, otherwise, you'd get a blend of the active amp, and your clean guitar signal with no amp. I am setting my Liquid Foot to trigger the right effects and amp states, and change the Axe to a particular scene, for programming. Then I can save the Axe Preset, and I could simply recall the scene, without sending any of the MIDI commands for the effects and x/y states again, to get the same results. So, your observation seems plausible.

I just want to point out that I can't seem to dial out 'pop' changing between scenes that use two amp blocks under almost any circumstance now. Not sure if this is something characteristic of a most recent update or what, but even if I create a brand new patch with 2 amp blocks and one cab, and no other effects, there is 'pop' changing between them. Even if you make the scene selection in AE, not even using a controller.

This kind of sucks, because I was using scenes really heavily (2 amp blocks, XY on both) and it was working fine, and then at some point I started getting 'pop' and now I can't get rid of it. I run IEM's and that pop is killing my ears. I'm at my wits end here, my band is ready to fire me if I can't figure out how to get rid of it. Some guidance would be really useful here.

Its worth mentioning that it does it with parallel or serial routing.

Reposting to other similar threads.

I normally just leave both amps on and use a volume/pan set to zero volume on both. The amp that I want quiet has the volume/pan enabled to silence it.
I only get a noticeable delay when changing with the USB plugged in. Using a foot switch is usually good unless you are really picky!

Back
Top Bottom