Scenes sometimes not scene-ing like scenes should scene...

rmp5s

Inspired
Ok...so...last night, I got the first tone I've gotten out of the new (to me) Axe II that REALLY made me go, "whoaaaaaaaaa". It was perfect! I was working on a track and it fit SO PERFECTLY. It was parallel amps fed through a stereo cab with mics and all that. Somewhat complicated, but I saved it. So...perfect was MINE!! I would never change it...I'd keep it forever...

Well, I was just working on the track so I pulled it up, but I wanted to tweak it a little for a harmony part...wanted to dial a more toned-down amp into one of the slots, turn the reverb up a little, etc.

So I clicked a different scene and started going down the line, changed the amps, cabs, mics, started tweaking stuff, etc. Clicked save, laid the track, clicked back to the original scene only to realize...NOTHING CHANGED BACK!!

*sigh*

So...incredibly frustrating. My "perfect" preset?...gone...and I can't re-create it. I don't remember what was where.

I did a little more experimenting on a blank preset and, yea...scenes don't seem to be working on some presets. Some, they work fine. Scene to scene, amps, reverbs, etc all change the way they're supposed to. Others?...changing scene does pretty much nothing.

Anyone else had this happen? Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Scenes don't have different block settings. They only control the on/off and x/y state of blocks.

It's a common confusion... Happened to me when I first started using the Axe Fx.

The other lesson: always make backups ;)

Dang I hate that!....many a times i'd tweak with different amps and cab combinations and "eureka" that certain particular sound I was looking for!!! ...and thinking I'd record in my head the formulas and easily find it when I desire.

No dice.......BACKUP, BACKUP ...BACKUP.

If anyone would like to hear said "perfect tone", this is the little track I laid down the night I got the base tone dialed in:

...gone...gone forever...:*-(

/dramatic

Dang I hate that!....many a times i'd tweak with different amps and cab combinations and "eureka" that certain particular sound I was looking for!!! ...and thinking I'd record in my head the formulas and easily find it when I desire.

No dice.......BACKUP, BACKUP ...BACKUP.

Yup...I know better than to even try that. lol ESPECIALLY when it comes to presets like this that have so much going on. This was 2 different amps and a stereo ultrares cab block with two different cabs and different mics on each cab. Not too likely to remember. lol

As for backups, I just discovered the "snapshot" button last night...that's going to be my best friend from now on...

You can use scene controllers to adjust parameters, but it has to be set up to use them.

Scene controllers...heard of it but haven't dove down that rabbit hole yet. I'll look into it. Thanks!

You can use scene controllers to adjust parameters, but it has to be set up to use them.

Just noticed...another local!! Second fellow Phoenician I've seen on here. Axe-FX's sure are popular in Phoenix!! Kinda crazy too as I scoured Craigslist for months looking for a local Axe-FX II and couldn't find one...

When I am tweaking i ALWAYS take a snapshot (in Axe-Edit - the button with a camera on it) if I have something good. You can always import it and compare it to your original preset, etc.

When I am tweaking i ALWAYS take a snapshot (in Axe-Edit - the button with a camera on it) if I have something good. You can always import it and compare it to your original preset, etc.
This is the way to go..
You can ALWAYS go and clean up your snapshots folder at a later time!!

I did a little more experimenting on a blank preset and, yea...scenes don't seem to be working on some presets. Some, they work fine. Scene to scene, amps, reverbs, etc all change the way they're supposed to. Others?...changing scene does pretty much nothing.

Anyone else had this happen? Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Scenes only change stuff you programmed them to. Say you have a preset with scene 1 cleans and scene 2 dirt. Since you didn't do anything with scenes 3 to 8 they won't exhibit much behavior.

Also always save before you change presets. With the MFC I can change scenes in an unsaved preset with no consequences, but the moment I do change presets, boom, away goes all unsaved changes.

If you had seen the scenes that I've seen you'd have seen that I've seen too much.

Now go do that voodoo that you do so well!

Just noticed...another local!! Second fellow Phoenician I've seen on here. Axe-FX's sure are popular in Phoenix!! Kinda crazy too as I scoured Craigslist for months looking for a local Axe-FX II and couldn't find one...
I bought my Axe-FXII from Scott Burrows several years back. Got an AX8 to sell if your interested.

I bought my Axe-FXII from Scott Burrows several years back. Got an AX8 to sell if your interested.
Yeeeea...I think my wife would kill me if I bought any more gear. lol

Besides, I don't play out or anything so I wouldn't really get any use out of it.

Thanks, though!

Another suggestion is to copy a preset to another slot, so you have two that are identical, and then go to town on the copy. This is what I do to reduce the risk that I might muck up my fav preset. Sorry to hear about the issue, and hope this is another option that might assist in the future.

Cheers,

Lee

Another suggestion is to copy a preset to another slot, so you have two that are identical, and then go to town on the copy. This is what I do to reduce the risk that I might muck up my fav preset. Sorry to hear about the issue, and hope this is another option that might assist in the future.

Cheers,

Lee
This is my preferred method.

Cheers,

Lee
Not to mention that this way you can also do an A/B comparison.

Not to mention that this way you can also do an A/B comparison.

Exactly! It's great for comparing tweaks or even cabs. Lots of ways to utilize these tools! And of course, no reason to limit yourself, as you can save the same preset into numerous locations, and rapidly do A/B/C/D/... comparisons, too! Rock on my fractal brethren!

Back
Top Bottom