Scenes question

Wildwind

Experienced
Cannot find via search, hopefully a quick answer.

Long-time AFX player, new to Scenes - like last Saturday.

Not using Reveal on the MFC. Presets are along the bottom row, Scenes on the second row. But I'd like to reverse this. Is it possible? I just read that I can't access presets in Reveal mode - correct?

Basically I have large feet, so hitting that second row for Scenes can be an adventure. Bottom row would be much better.

Thanks!

Not using Reveal on the MFC. Presets are along the bottom row, Scenes on the second row. But I'd like to reverse this. Is it possible? I just read that I can't access presets in Reveal mode - correct?

Basically I have large feet, so hitting that second row for Scenes can be an adventure. Bottom row would be much better.

Thanks!

I've setup the 5 bottom row button for Scenes (1 to 5) and the rest as IA switches. The MFC manual will guide you through on how to do that. Hope this helps.

Thanks! Will re-read that. Another user said "can't be done." Glad for another opinion.

But now all of the sudden my MFC won't light up, looking into that now. Faint smell from AFX makes me wonder if something shorted. AFX seems to be working fine, haven't played it yet. This just went down as I was starting to re-program the MFC. Ran it hard all weekend, never had a single problem in five years, and now this.

Moving the presets to start on anything other than the first switch in only possible with a MFC-101 'Mark III'

I use a zero bank size on my MFC Mk3. Buttons 1-8 are scenes 1-8. The rest are IA's. I change presets with up and down. The trick is to utilize preset wrap, so you can go down from the first preset to the last and vice versa. You have to set the limit to exactly how many presets you use.

I use a zero bank size on my MFC Mk3. Buttons 1-8 are scenes 1-8. The rest are IA's. I change presets with up and down. The trick is to utilize preset wrap, so you can go down from the first preset to the last and vice versa. You have to set the limit to exactly how many presets you use.

I also use this on my MFC-101 Mk1, to get around the preset limit you can also use Sets to group Presets into usable groups which you step through using Preset Up/Down.
From memory I think you can have 10 Sets, containing 50 Presets each.

I just read that I can't access presets in Reveal mode - correct?

Correct. You press REVEAL, the bottom row of 5 buttons reveal for your first 5 scenes. This is how I used to leverage my MFC prior to the AX8. Now my top 4 buttons are S1 S2 S3 S4.

Scenes are amazing and will change your life making any preset your kitchen sink. Yek has a sweet video on the power of scenes:

I also use this on my MFC-101 Mk1, to get around the preset limit you can also use Sets to group Presets into usable groups which you step through using Preset Up/Down.
From memory I think you can have 10 Sets, containing 50 Presets each.

I do something similar with my Mk3. The front row buttons (1-5) are my scenes, then I use Sets to group my presets. I leave my Reveal button on and I use the Up and Down buttons to step through the presets in each set. And your memory is correct....you can create up to ten sets with up to 50 songs per set. And you can have the same song in more than one set. I use MFC-Edit to make it easier to move things around and see what's already set up. My Sets correlate to actual sets my band plays live, but a person could just as easily have "sets" established for different categories or styles (i.e., a metal set, a clean set, a blues set, a country set, etc.).

MFC-Edit is a must for setting up sets!
I have added or changed the odd song through the switches but I've also screwed things up doing it this way :D

I've set mine MFC up that bottom 1-5 are presets, middle 6-9 are scenes 1-4, top 11-14 are scenes 5-8. Switches 10 and 15 cycle down and up respectively for scenes. 16 is tap tempo and 17 tuner. I don't use any instant access switches. Neither do I use the reveal button.

I've set mine MFC up that bottom 1-5 are presets, middle 6-9 are scenes 1-4, top 11-14 are scenes 5-8. Switches 10 and 15 cycle down and up respectively for scenes. 16 is tap tempo and 17 tuner. I don't use any instant access switches. Neither do I use the reveal button.
You know you can use 1 switch for both tap and tuner, right?

I have scenes on the front row, IA's on the middle row, and presets 1 thru 5 on the top row

I consider preset slots 1 thru 10 as my 'performance area'
so I load into them what ever I need for that specific gig

my rules:
I only change preset between songs
the presets used most in the set occupy slots 1 thru 5
slots 6 thru 10 are for presets only used once
to get at preset 7 for example, I'd hit the IA for preset 2 [switch 12] and then up-bank

in reality, I've not yet needed more than 4 presets to get through a gig so I've not yet needed 6 thru 10
but knowing that I can handle up to 10 gives me plenty of headroom

Thanks!
You can do this easily with MFC-Edit, without using Reveal. Set the "First Preset Switch" to 6 and the "Bank Size" to 5.

You can do this easily with MFC-Edit, without using Reveal. Set the "First Preset Switch" to 6 and the "Bank Size" to 5.
As already posted, this only works with MK III version of mfc. The op has not offered us any info on which unit he has, or if it is working again since it would not power up.

As already posted, this only works with MK III version of mfc. The op has not offered us any info on which unit he has, or if it is working again since it would not power up.

I do my layout with the MFC MkI in reveal mode

Back
Top Bottom