Scenes/pedals question

Claude M

Inspired
Hi guys. Hopefully I can explain my question well! I've scoured the manual and searched the net for the answer, but I don't think I can make sense of anything!
I've always used my AXE FX II and now my AX8 live in Scene mode. I use all 8 scenes in my one main rock preset. I have songs created as presets also with scenes taking me though versus, choruses, solos etc. I love Scenes!

My main rock preset is set up like this (just so you get an idea of my question when I ask it!).

SCENE 1 - Clean amp (Shiver) COMP and REVERB activated. Amp Drive around 5.
SCENE 2 - Clean amp (Shiver) COMP and REVERB activated with more drive. Amp Drive around 7.5 (activated via automated controller to control amount of drive saved in Scene 2) and Drive pedal activated.
SCENE 3 - Crunch sound (Friedman BE) Amp drive around 4
SCENE 4 - Crunch sound (Friedman BE) with more drive (activated via automated controller to control amount of drive saved in Scene 4) Amp Drive around 8

Scenes 5 through to 8 are the individual solos for scenes 1 to 4 (PEQ with volume boost, Delay, Drive pedal) activated per scene, with effects coming on and off as saved per scene, so no pedalboard dancing! So basically I play with that one preset all night and then change presets I have created for particular songs.

So in the Footswitches tab of the AX8 (Via AXE Edit), I have assigned preset switches 1 thru 8 to be scenes.

So in my main preset, I have the following blocks (each with an X/Y state):
wah, comp, chorus, drive, amp, cab, PEQ, delay and reverb - each effect coming on and off as saved per scene.

My question is this: If I've assigned preset switches 1 thru 8 to be scenes, how can I activate on the fly Chorus or drive for example when I'm in scene 1, if all the footswitches are assigned to scenes? I can't work out how to use the AX8 as a normal pedalboard and use the AX8 with scenes at the same time? Pedals are turned on and off saved as per scene, but if I'm in Scene 1 which is my clean preset and all that is activated is Comp, Amp, Cab and reverb, how can I turn my Chorus pedal on (on the fly) because I want to use it for a particular part of a song?

I hope I make sense and I'm sorry in advance for the long question. :eek:

Last edited:
I would say you have 2 options here:
  • not preferred: use the external switches, or MIDI (not preferred),
  • preferred:
    • set up your effects on the switches like you want to have them,​
    • assign "Sticky Scene", or "Single Scene" (to taste) to one of the Fn buttons​
    • --> If "Sticky Scene" or "Single Scene" is active, you can switch the scenes.​
    • --> If not active, you can change the effect state.​
Hope that helps.

• preferred:
    • --> If "Sticky Scene" or "Single Scene" is active, you can switch the scenes.​
Hope that helps.

Thanks Moerker. I need to play around with that option. Hopefully I understand what you're explaining!
The reason the question came around is because I bought a preset online (which sounded great) and all 8 scenes were used in the preset. However the Footswitches Preset tab was organised by the creator as individual pedals. So how then do you change scenes? If I step on Scene 3 for example (which would activate Clean Amp, Cab, Chorus and Delay), I turn on a Drive pedal instead of changing the Scene. Again, I hope this makes sense!

As I said:
Assign "sticky scene" or "single scene" to a Fn switch, press it and then one of the footswitches on the AX8. Instant scene change magic :)

Edit: See page 23 in the AX8 manual, there "Single Scene" and "Sticky Scene" is explained.

As I said:
Assign "sticky scene" or "single scene" to a Fn switch, press it and then one of the footswitches on the AX8. Instant scene change magic :)

Edit: See page 23 in the AX8 manual, there "Single Scene" and "Sticky Scene" is explained.

Appreciate it buddy. I did read that in the manual but I was getting confused! Thanks again!

• preferred:
Hope that helps.

At first, I couldn't get a grasp on this. Having the AX8 now for over 3 years I now understand it, and boy is it a powerful tool!

I would suggest @
claudesmusicbox
to sit down with the AX8 on your lap or on a desk and experiment with setting the Fn buttons for different tasks.
That is how I did it to get an understanding of how it works and the term "Sticky".

there is a "layer" or "layout" available to assign the switches to do whatever you want. this is the Footswitch or FS layout.

there are pre-defined layouts that show all 8 Scenes and all 8 Presets in the bank. these are accessed with the F-switches on the right side. (these F-switches can be customized to certain things as well.

if you use the only available customizable FS layout to put all 8 Scenes, you've duplicated the pre-defined layout and sort of "wasted" your customizable layout. the benefit of doing this is you are always at your 8 Scenes, but as you see, the big drawback is you can't do anything else with the Footswitches.

it'd be best to assign the few Stomps you need (like chorus, delay, etc). and maybe a few Scenes you always need quick access to. for the other Scenes, just tap an F-Switch to get to the pre-defined 8 Scenes layout. read the manual to see what is default, or change the F-Switches to what you want.

that's really the only solution to this, and is also the intended use of the product.

there is a "layer" or "layout" available to assign the switches to do whatever you want. this is the Footswitch or FS layout.

there are pre-defined layouts that show all 8 Scenes and all 8 Presets in the bank. these are accessed with the F-switches on the right side. (these F-switches can be customized to certain things as well.

if you use the only available customizable FS layout to put all 8 Scenes, you've duplicated the pre-defined layout and sort of "wasted" your customizable layout. the benefit of doing this is you are always at your 8 Scenes, but as you see, the big drawback is you can't do anything else with the Footswitches.

it'd be best to assign the few Stomps you need (like chorus, delay, etc). and maybe a few Scenes you always need quick access to. for the other Scenes, just tap an F-Switch to get to the pre-defined 8 Scenes layout. read the manual to see what is default, or change the F-Switches to what you want.

that's really the only solution to this, and is also the intended use of the product.

Thx Chris. I've finally worked it out. Now i have to see if I can use it live as opposed to the AXE FX 2 which was a different beast!

Back
Top Bottom