Scenes and real amp switching

Severed

Fractal Fanatic
Hey all, need some help with this one.

I just rented an amp and it can have its channels switched via midi PC messages. I am controlling the Axe FX II mkII via a cat5 from an MFC101 mkII. I want to then plug a standard midi cable to the out/thru on the Axe-Fx and plug that into the amp.

I've read through the MFC101 manual a few times and searched the forums but I don't get it.

while using Axe-Fx mode, how do I add a PC to a scene. I also want these to be preset unique, for example, on some presets I use scene 1, 2, and 3 for different clean amp settings while in another preset I only use scene 1 for clean and 2, 3, for crunch so I need to be able to assign the PC messages baseball on preset, not statically.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Hi there,

Down here is a bit of text from the manual how to setup your hardware to begin with.
Probably you already did this?

So a program change is not what you need but a CC is what you have to use. But i can't imagine how a real amp could use that.

So maybe it would be easier to just use presets instead of scenes.
Then you just can send a program change to the real amp it will work.
But i have no idea how many presets it would require in your case?!

A: FASLINKTM
With your MFC-101 at the FASLINK port, do not use the MIDI THRU port. Instead, connect downstream devices to the MIDI OUT port and set MFC ECHO TO MIDI OUT to “ON” (in the I/O:MIDI menu of the Axe-Fx.) This turns MIDI OUT into a “soft thru.”
A: Ethernet/EtherCON
When you are using an MFC-101 at the MFC port, do not use the MIDI THRU port. Instead, connect downstream devices to the MIDI OUT port and set MFC ECHO TO MIDI OUT to “ON” (in the I/O:MIDI menu of the Axe-Fx.) This turns MIDI OUT into a “soft thru.”

Last edited:
Thanks. The amp only answers to a PC message and is therefore what I need to send to it.

Also I am using a mkII. The midi thru/out are one in the same.

My inquiry is how to add a PC message to a scene change while using the MFC101 in AXE-FX mode.

Thanks. The amp only answers to a PC message and is therefore what I need to send to it.

Also I am using a mkII. The midi thru/out are one in the same.

My inquiry is how to add a PC message to a scene change while using the MFC101 in AXE-FX mode.

You our need to set the axefx function to none and program the switch as a general use switch. The you can send a cc for the scene change and a pc to switch the amp. Also, midi thru should be on in the axefx.

I also want these to be preset unique, for example, on some presets I use scene 1, 2, and 3 for different clean amp settings while in another preset I only use scene 1 for clean and 2, 3, for crunch so I need to be able to assign the PC messages baseball on preset, not statically.

This part isn't possible with MFC IA switches because their settings are global. Another option you might want to consider is mapping PCs to different scenes on the Axe-FX. Then you can use actual preset switches and program any PC for the amp per preset.

Back
Top Bottom