Scene Toggling

moltisanti

Inspired
I'm trying out a new setup using the new footswitch options, and i wanted to have the bottom 4 buttons as follows:

Toggle S1/2 - Toggle S3/4 - Toggle S5/6 - Toggle S7/8

But when i go to assign a footswitch I only see the Toggle S1/2 option - did i miss something ?

ah ok that would explain why it's not there :)

it seems a little strange that you can toggle S1/2 but not the others in pairs, is this more complex in the background than I understand ?

probably most people only need to toggle 2 sounds. i'm not sure many would need 3/4, 5/6, etc.

there may be a feature in the future to allow you to pick whichever 2 Scenes to toggle, but probably not all pairs.

probably most people only need to toggle 2 sounds.

If only all of my gigs were this simple. I think it would be a far better thing if the user were free to set up their foot switch functions as elaborately, or as simply as they want. It's nice having 8 scenes. In some cases it's even nicer having the option to quickly toggle between more than just two of them. Isn't this part of the whole point of separating the foot switches from the fx blocks? There's obviously a load of untapped potential there (no pun intended). Why not take the concept as far as it can go, or at least further than what's been realized in beta 3.0?

I think it would be very useful to be able to do what the OP wanted to do.

probably most people only need to toggle 2 sounds. i'm not sure many would need 3/4, 5/6, etc.

there may be a feature in the future to allow you to pick whichever 2 Scenes to toggle, but probably not all pairs.

That would be a more useful option for me, as someone who tries to stick to a standard layout of 1=Clean, 2=Crunch, 3=Boost, 4=Solo etc.

If only all of my gigs were this simple. I think it would be a far better thing if the user were free to set up their foot switch functions as elaborately, or as simply as they want. It's nice having 8 scenes. In some cases it's even nicer having the option to quickly toggle between more than just two of them. Isn't this part of the whole point of separating the foot switches from the fx blocks? There's obviously a load of untapped potential there (no pun intended). Why not take the concept as far as it can go, or at least further than what's been realized in beta 3.0?

I think it would be very useful to be able to do what the OP wanted to do.
of course. i'm not saying that it should stay like how it is, but rather maybe that's why it's that way right now.

we are on version 1.00. we just got a maintenance release of 1.01. there are many things that could be added, but we are only on the first version. still, an arbitrary 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 pairing may not make sense for many people. so you can switch between 3 and 4... now you are on 4 but want to switch to 1 then 7... like, where does it end?

i personally think the option to choose which 2 Scenes you want to switch between makes more sense for more people. i'd probably choose 2 and 4 - clean chorus and lead. these are all my opinion and i have no direct influence on anything :) so i'm just talking the same as anyone else is.

I use scenes 5-8, so my sollution is to copy the two scenes I want to toggle to scene 1 and 2. Works great !
I just wished that scene levels got copied too...

i may be missing something, but from a software development point of view i would imagine that the leg work to create S1/2 toggling has been done, so applying this to other pairs of scenes should be relatively simple. (but i might be totally understating it too)

It's easy enough to re-save scenes to get the desired toggle thing happening between s1 & s2. As well as plan future presets with that capability in mind. I'm just petitioning, lobbying, begging, for more of that. Even if Fractal were to add just a s3 & s4 toggle without the rest. That would be welcome by me. I'd welcome the capability to toggle user selected scenes too, but being able to toggle between 4 scenes on two switches would make things even more spectacular than they already are. My motivations may be completely selfish, but I totally get what the OP was going for.

To me it would seem hella confusing if I had a row of switches that toggled between 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8.

If I needed that many scene switches it would be WAY better to just use the dedicated scene mode or one switch per scene. Let's say you're on Scene 5 and you need to get to Scene 1. How many presses on the first switch will get you there? Does it depend on the last state that switch was in?

The idea of having the one toggle switch be configurable to any two scenes makes sense, though.

First off I don't have an FX8 but have made the request regarding this on the MFC a couple times in the past so another opportunity to request again. I would love to be able to toggle between scenes of my choosing by stepping on one of the scene buttons (ie. scene 2) then stepping on another scene button (ie. scene 4) and after that repeatedly stepping on that button would toggle between the two of them. Cheers :)

ah ok that would explain why it's not there :)

it seems a little strange that you can toggle S1/2 but not the others in pairs, is this more complex in the background than I understand ?

I also thought it was a little strange that there aren't 3/4, 5/6, etc toggle switch setups available. I would love to have this option for a whole row of scene toggle switches. I don't have it yet, but once I get the AX8 it would be very handle.

It would provide another level of control with less switches, and would also lend itself to new ways of organizing tone and effects settings.

can someone who wants the 1/2 3/4 etc pairings describe how they'd use it? i too think it'd be very confusing with all the pairs.

if i want to go from Scene 1 to Scene 4, how would i do that?

Last edited:
If I needed that many scene switches it would be WAY better to just use the dedicated scene mode or one switch per scene. Let's say you're on Scene 5 and you need to get to Scene 1. How many presses on the first switch will get you there? Does it depend on the last state that switch was in?

The AmpliFire only has 3 switches. One of the many different things their switch scheme can do is toggle presets. The various switch functions are user assignable. If you want you can make all 3 switches toggle between two presets of your choice. They always switch back to the 1st of the A/B selections. I think they were considering making it revert to their last state, or making that option user selectable. I'd prefer going back to the "A" state so you know what you're getting, and you know it's one stomp away (vs the standard FX8 scene mode). Hopefully the user is capable of remaining aware of how they designed their preset switching scheme. Weather it's on the FX8 or something else.

Once you offer up user switching options such as these there are a lot of new ways to do things, and it does open up a pandora's box of possibilities. It is still relatively uncharted territory IMHO, and different players are going to want to be able to do all sorts of weird things even the venerable Fractal forum hasn't thought of.

Going back to my previous point, what's confusing to one player may be a godsend to another. I'm just asking for options. I can think of ways I could use these particular toggle options immediately on my FX8. The point being, let the user decide how simple or complex their individual switching needs are, and whenever possible give them the means to do it they way they want to do it. To me, toggling is an extremely simple concept. 2 channel amps have been doing this for decades. It's hardly a new thing, and being able to toggle something like a 4 channel amp isn't new either. What is different is, it's traditionally been a one stomp thing as opposed to two (ala scenes).

The beta 3 switching scheme is a very cool thing and I'll be curious to see where Fractal takes it.

can someone who wants the 1/2 3/4 etc pairings describe how they'd use it? i too think it'd be very confusing with all the pairs.

I'd probably only need two switches set up to toggle (one for s1 & 2, the other for s3 & s4). I'd probably use the other 6 switches for IA to specific effect blocks. I can't say for sure I'd regularly use 4 sets of scene toggles, but I would think of all the gear heads out there, the Fractal crowd would be the first to understand the concept of, "nothing exceeds like excess." Or, it's better to have and not need than to need & not have. Sort of like owning any typical DAW program out there.

I like the idea of being able to toggle back to the previous scene. So say you hit scene 4 for lead, hit it again to go back to crunch. This way you don't have to look at your pedal board coming out of a lead.

Another thought, if you hold the scene switch down for a length of time it turns into momentary mode and switches back to previous scene when released. This would be great for quick lead fills. Much easier than stomping two different switches.

the way i would use use it is as follows:
S1 - clean, S2 - clean lead
S3 - Crunch - S4 Crunch Lead
S5 - Dirty - S6 Dirty Lead

so each basic sound has a toggle version with more volume, reverb. etc etc - it's a really useful way to set up a patch if you cover a lot of ground

Back
Top Bottom