Scene selection via midi?

Lou

Inspired
Can someone help?

I'm using a Rocktron midi mate which can send program changes and can also send CCs.

I can't figure out how to use those cc buttons to change scenes.

I think I need to do something on the setup menu but I don't see scenes unless I'm missing it

I also have an MFC but I think that I want to try using the midi mate as the MFC seems like it would be even harder to mess with. I'd hate to screw up my II programming

To change scenes you need to send specific CC data values. I don't think the midimate supports defining data values for CCs... Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

In that case, it would only send "off" and "on" values (0 and 127). That will select either scene 1 or 8 only.

On the Axe Fx you'll need to define the CC number for Scenes. On the other FAS devices, the default is 34.

You could use preset mapping if the midimate doesn't allow data values.

There are CC options for Scene Increment and Decrement. You should be able to use those to flip through scenes even if you can't do scenes by number.

Also, keep in mind, the III doesn't have any default MIDI settings (at least mine didn't). So I set scene change to 34, tuner to 15, etc... Then if you send 34 and 00, that will be Scene 1... 34 and 01, Scene 2, etc... 15 and 127 (Tuner on). 15 and 00 (Tuner off)...

I’m going to try to tackle this tomorrow night with my MFC. I updated my MFC edit with the new version that came out over the weekend Hoping that will make things a little easier. Been probably 10 years since I had to do any MIDI programming.

Well, I got the MFC connected and working with the III and can switch through the first 5 presets I have programmed. But no idea how to program it for scene changes for the 5 scenes I have in each preset. I’ll look into that tomorrow I guess. My brain hurts right now.

Well, I got the MFC connected and working with the III and can switch through the first 5 presets I have programmed. But no idea how to program it for scene changes for the 5 scenes I have in each preset. I’ll look into that tomorrow I guess. My brain hurts right now.
On your Axe III, go to SETUP > MIDI and page over to OTHER.

Then set SCENE SELECT to match the CC number that your MFC is sending for scene selection (probably 34).

On your Axe III, go to SETUP > MIDI and page over to OTHER.

Then set SCENE SELECT to match the CC number that your MFC is sending for scene selection (probably 34).
Ok, so I set Scene Select to 34 on the III. I went into the MIDI setup on the MFC and got to the page where I pick the CC# for IA01 and set CC to #34. I exited out of that. I press 1 on the MFC and I’m on preset 1 on the III. I press the Reveal buttton in the MFC and press button 1 and it jumps to Scene 8 on the III. If I press it again it jumps back to Scene 1. Guessing I need to put in the Value but I don’t see where to put that in on the MFC MIDI menu. I’m so close I can taste it. What did I miss or still need to do?
200666FC-3B0F-43B2-BBA0-03A37044C85E.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok, so I set Scene Select to 34 on the III. I went into the MIDI setup on the MFC and got to the page where I pick the CC# for IA01 and set CC to #34. I exited out of that. I press 1 on the MFC and I’m on preset 1 on the III. I press the Reveal buttton in the MFC and press button 1 and it jumps to Scene 8 on the III. If I press it again it jumps back to Scene 1. Guessing I need to put in the Value but I don’t see where to put that in on the MFC MIDI menu. I’m so close I can taste it. What did I miss or still need to do?
View attachment 45883
You have to define the data value to send.

Typical IAs send off (0) and on (127) data values. Technically 0-63 is off and 64-127 is on.

The scene select uses a modulo 8 value scheme:

0-7 data maps to scenes 1-8
8-15 data maps to scenes 1-8
16-23 data maps to scenes 1-8
Etc, etc

So off is scene 1 and on is scene 8.

I'm sure the MFC manual explains how to set data values, but I've only used MFC-EDIT for that so I don't know the specific steps directly.

View attachment 45883
Pretty sure the page after the one in your picture sets the value. It’s been a while though.

You have to define the data value to send.

Typical IAs send off (0) and on (127) data values. Technically 0-63 is off and 64-127 is on.

The scene select uses a modulo 8 value scheme:

0-7 data maps to scenes 1-8
8-15 data maps to scenes 1-8
16-23 data maps to scenes 1-8
Etc, etc

So off is scene 1 and on is scene 8.

I'm sure the MFC manual explains how to set data values, but I've only used MFC-EDIT for that so I don't know the specific steps directly.
Pretty sure the page after the one in your picture sets the value. It’s been a while though.
Thanks guys. Will give this a try in a few. Been about 10 years since I had to program MIDI. And it’s definitely not like riding a bike.
:p

bishop5150 you need to go into the mfc setup menu page right 15 times and set
LinkA 01 02 03 04 05 and you should be golden.

For the 0-127 for each switch I set both numbers to the scene number
IA1 c1 Off000 On000
IA2 c1 Off002 On 002
IA3 c1 Off003 On 003
And so on.

Back
Top Bottom