Scene question and Solo Boost?

lpaul626

Inspired
I'm in the process of setting up some "live" presets. I plan to use one preset as a model for my cleans and one for overdrive distortion (with most FX being consistent). The only variables would be the amps and cabs. Would using the scene feature be the best approach for this rather than separate presets or X/Y feature?

Also, curious what everyone is using for a solo boost. Global boost? EQ blocks? OD? Before Amp? Loop?

Thanks-

Some great information here Preset scene - Axe-Fx II Wiki

And here... http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-discussion/61105-tutorial-using-scenes-axe-fx-ii-mfc-101-a.html

Scenes are very powerful and should be able to handle what you are describing. I play worship every Sunday and use a wide variety of tones from song to song and scenes work great for me. You can use X/Y settings in a scene, so you can have up to 4 amps in a preset (2 amps per preset with an X/Y state on each). As an example, I will have 2 amp blocks. Amp 1/X is clean, Amp 1/Y adds a little gain, Amp 2/X could be a completely different amp, or variations of amp 1, and so on. You can do this with any of the effects blocks (delay, cab, chorus, whatever...).

The one thing to be aware of with scenes is that where the active/bypass status of each of a block can differ between scenes, the settings/parameters for each block is the SAME across ALL scenes. So, every scene contained within the preset contains every block used in the preset. If you configure a delay block in Scene 1, those settings are the same across all scenes, except the active/bypass state. So, if you tweak settings in Scene 2, you are affecting the block in ALL scenes (I make that mistake all the time). If you need a different delay setting from scene to scene, use the X/Y feature or add another block with the new settings. Hope that makes sense.

For solo boost... scenes are GREAT here. Each scene has its own level parameter. I use this feature a lot and you can boost the output dB way beyond what you need. I also tend to use a Filter block set to NULL at the end of my signal chains and set a 3-6dB level boost there. The filter block is assigned to an instant access (IA) switch on my MFC, so it's always there waiting to be used as needed.

Last edited:
My normal preset setup is scene one for the base tone and scene two for the lead boost, but it is keeping the same amp settings per preset. That way I don't have to think about it too much on most any preset I use (until there is a special song that requires more scenes). However, if you are OK with keeping track of more scenes per preset, you could have a clean (1), clean boost (2), dirty (3), dirty boost (4).

For level boost, I use the Filter block. With scenes you can save the output level per scene, but on presets where I do have more than one scene you have to remember to adjust every scene that has the same boost amount. After a couple of times of going through 4 scenes and setting the boost to the same amount, I decided on using the filter block instead. Depending on the type of tone that preset is, I might have other things on by default in the boost scene (delay, compression, etc.).

For level boost, I use the Filter block. With scenes you can save the output level per scene, but on presets where I do have more than one scene you have to remember to adjust every scene that has the same boost amount. After a couple of times of going through 4 scenes and setting the boost to the same amount, I decided on using the filter block instead. Depending on the type of tone that preset is, I might have other things on by default in the boost scene (delay, compression, etc.).

Agreed. That's a good explanation. Leveling the volume between scenes can get tedious. Having a Filter block assigned to an IA is a great way to go.

The one thing to be aware of with scenes is that where the active/bypass status of each of a block can differ between scenes, the settings/parameters for each block is the SAME across ALL scenes.

Will this be the case with the amp/cab blocks? So if I use a different amp in a separate scene, will my adjusting this amp affect the amp block in another scene?

Will this be the case with the amp/cab blocks? So if I use a different amp in a separate scene, will my adjusting this amp affect the amp block in another scene?

The same amp retains its setting across all scenes. You can have 4 distinct amps (Amp 1 [X], Amp 1 [Y], Amp 2 [X], Amp 2 [Y]) in one preset, but only two can be used at one time. If you adjust the Master of Amp 1 [X], that adjustment is for all scenes for that amp (but the other 3 are not affected).

Scenes affect all blocks the same, whether it be an amp, cab, delay, compression, whatever; they all behave the same. Regarding your statement "use a different amp in a separate scene"... basically, you can have 4 amps in a preset (Amp1/X, Amp1/Y, Amp2/X, Amp2/Y). What I was saying... let's say you start with a new, simple, preset with 1 amp and you get the X side (Amp1/X) dialed in perfectly in Scene 1. Then you go to Scene 2 and you decide that now you want more gain on the amp. If you modify Amp1/X and add more gain, that will affect Amp1/X in Scene 2 AND Scene 1 (that is bad -- I used to do this all the time until I finally got the hang of it); actually, it will modify Amp1/X in ALL scenes. The ONLY things you can vary across scenes on blocks is the Active/Bypass state and the X/Y state. You can use the scene to use the "Y" side of the same amp, or you can bypass the entire amp. So, if you want a new/different or modified Amp block in scene 2, you have two choices, 1) modify Amp1/Y (not X) or 2) add a second amp block, Amp2. If you add a second amp block to scene 2, you will most likely want to BYPASS Amp1 in Scene 2. My rule of thumb is if I want to modify an existing Amp block, I use the X/Y feature. If I want a different amp model in a specific scene, I will add a second amp block and make sure the other amp is bypassed in that scene. The best approach is based on your style, the song, your workflow and what makes sense to you.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, this should also be very helpful. It's an easy 2-3 page read that helped me get started with scenes.
http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Scenes-Mini-Manual-1.02.pdf

Per this doc... "As of firmware version 9, every Axe-Fx II preset1 contains eight scenes.
Each scene stores the BYPASS setting for every block in the preset, the X/Y selection for those blocks that support it, the main level of the FX LOOP block, and the preset’s MAIN output level. Scene changes are seamless and instantaneous, with perfect spillover requiring almost no effort. Scenes can easily be selected from the front panel or with a MIDI foot controller such as the MFC-101."

Hope this helps.

Another behavior is that be default, all blocks are ACTIVE in scenes unless you explicitly BYPASS them. This can lead to some interesting "events"... I had a preset where I used just two scenes, each with numerous blocks bypassed. During a worship service, I accidentally kicked scene 3, all blocks went ACTIVE and there was a very rude increase in volume and tone change. So, another habit that I have gotten in to is to configure to be sure that the scene next to the last scene I need is configured appropriately (usually a mirror of its neighbor).

Back
Top Bottom