Scene Naming

I don't think the issue is that the scenes aren't on the first row. It may be but I don't think that was said.

I think the issue is wanting the scene switches to always be available.

So many new users think the reveal switch is some sort of "scenes" mode. It isn't. It of course simply changes Preset switches to IA switches which just happen to be scenes.

The best wish I heard so far is "reverse reveal mode" where it is usually all IAs and then pressing Reveal changed to Presets... Choose a preset and it automatically turns off "reverse reveal" and you are back to all IAs.

Well that's not possible now anyway hehe.

So the suggestion of Bank Size 0, meaning no preset switches, may be the best idea for now. Yes you have to step through presets one by one numerically. You can use the front panel Swap function to arrange presets in a more logical order for performance.

But if the issue is forgetting to exit Reveal mode, this keeps Scenes (or anything programmed to switches 1-5) always available. As mentioned, this removes reveal mode altogether.

If the OP DOES what Preset switches as well, then he can simply reprogram any of switches 6-17 to be Scenes so they are always available. Place some non-important functions on switches 1-5 for Reveal mode.

Regardless, there are only 17 switches available. Reveal mode helps get a bit more out of them, but at the end of the day, besides presets, you can only control 17 things.

Using this method, wouldn't you have to hit the bank up/down button numerous times to go from preset 1 to preset 5 (for example)? If so, I prefer the cable swap approach.

Yes you do, but doing 4 quick taps is pretty quick. Obviously if you wanted to go from present 1 to, lets say present 117 it wouldn't be too practical, but generally I think one would arrange their presents in an order that they typically use them during a gig, or at least would have typically used ones close together. How many presents do most people use during the course of a show ? More so, with scenes, you could typically use 1 present to per and still have a wide range of clean/dirty, solo etc options.

but generally I think one would arrange their presents in an order that they typically use them during a gig,

i always open my presents from smallest to biggest at christmas time. although, i really haven't gotten anything in many years.

:D

I set the scenes up the same on each preset. Scene one is base tone, scene two has extra drive, scene three is atmospherics such as chorus/flange, and scene 4 is "lead", usually with boost and ducked delay.

I guess this is the way. When you have different scenes structure for each preset and many presets (like I have) it very hard to keep track of what is going on. You have to have some logical structure to make it work for gigs.

So many new users think the reveal switch is some sort of "scenes" mode. It isn't. It of course simply changes Preset switches to IA switches which just happen to be scenes.

I wish the reveal mode of the MFC would 'reveal' all switch instead of only the bottom 5. This would make it even more useful.

I use the preset names to indicate which scenes it contains.
Such as "Ebow.Church" (scene 1: E-bow, scene 2: ChurchOrgan).

The best wish I heard so far is "reverse reveal mode" where it is usually all IAs and then pressing Reveal changed to Presets... Choose a preset and it automatically turns off "reverse reveal" and you are back to all IAs.

Reverse reveal is the best idea so far, my vote for that one!

I wish the reveal mode of the MFC would 'reveal' all switch instead of only the bottom 5. This would make it even more useful.

They are revealed already. Reveal ONLY changes preset switches to non-preset switches. That's what's getting "revealed." What you really want is a 2nd page of IAs.

The reveal switch will reveal any switch that is already setup as a preset switch to an IA. I believe the default is the bottom five but you can change the size to include all of them (except the edit switches on the right) as preset switches.

I agree that the cable swap method has been really helpful for me too. Here’s a picture of my current MFC setup:

6D0B0CE3-BCE3-4C51-80A2-8E36CED9A1FD_zpsbab55kqd.jpg

Preset 1-5 (in each bank) is labeled P1-P5 with the reveal functions beneath (Multi Delay on Preset 1 reveal for instance).
Scene 1-8 are labeled S1-S8 with the “Scene names”, i.e. what I usually set things at except for song specific scenes. So:

- Scene 1: Base sound (usually mid gain)
- Scene 2: Boosted version of the base sound
- Scene 3: Lead either Dry or with a Short Delay
- Scene 4: Lead with longer/more pronounced delay
- Scene 5: Clean sound, either with Amp X/Y or Scene controller to reduce gain
- Scene 6: Clean sound with some form of modulation, usually chorus
- Scene 7: Base sound with some form of modulation or effect: phaser, multi delay or vibe.
- Scene 8: Lead sound with some form of modulation, usually phaser.

It’s taken a lot of experimentation and I’m pretty happy with this setup for now.

Most of my usage is in two cover bands. I is a variety band and my scenes are set up to cover everything within one preset.
I use rhythm, lead, soft rhythm, soft lead, special for my 5 scenes.

My other cover band is a Tool cover band. I have a preset for each scene. My scenes are set up from left to right in when
I use them during the song. Once I get things programmed and playing it's pretty natural (for me) to know where I need
to go at what parts in the songs.

Your mileage may vary....

Using this method, wouldn't you have to hit the bank up/down button numerous times to go from preset 1 to preset 5 (for example)? If so, I prefer the cable swap approach.
Yes. But since you can both use preset swapping and custom midi mapping, you can just arrange your presets in the order you need them.

I appreciate all the comments & there are many different ways to use the MFC. I like how flexible the unit is to program to your personal taste.

Scene's it a great way to get alot of flexibility out of 1 preset & I agree that most people have a few presets they will use as their standard sounds.

Chris has a very good understanding of how the MFC works & his instuctional video's prove that with clear instruction & good explanation of options.

I did chuckle when I read the 'reverse scene's' comments :ambivalence:

Happy stomping dudes. \m/

Back
Top Bottom