Wish Scene Levels in Volume/Mixer Blocks

jasonmauer

Inspired
Setting up some new presets, adjusting levels per scene -- would love to leverage the Scene Levels option in the Output block, but that adjusts the entire level including effect tails, which can result in undesirable volume shifts when switching scenes.

It would be fantastic to have the same Scene Levels functionality available within other blocks, such as Volume/Pan, Mixer, Multiplexer, Filter, etc -- blocks commonly used for level adjustments -- so these levels can be adjusted earlier in the chain. The behavior and operation could be the same as it is for the Output block; Scene Level would set the overall Level for the block per scene.

+ a bunch for the general idea and identification of the problem, not sure about that implementation.

I'd like to see an 8 channel Levels block you could put anywhere in your preset that made sense, multiple places if need be like other blocks. I think that's the best approach to accommodate the variety of preset topologies I'm sure are out there.

Use the Volume block or a Filter block with Null type.

Assign a Modifier to the Level control with a Scene Controller.

Set the modifier with a Min/Max value of -10/+10.

This gives you a 20dB range level control per scene to place wherever in the chain you want.

Since a Scene Controller knob goes from 0-100%, you get 1dB for every 5%.

You can also adjust the Min/Max for your own preferences...

It's not as simple as your wish, though, so +1 for that.

Not as simple as Scene Levels, and not as straightforward either. (Scene Level values are in dB; Scene Controller values are percentages. Scene Levels are available within its own block; gotta switch to the Controllers view to get at Scene Controller values.)

The Volume- and Mixer-type blocks are all about level control. They'd be a lot more useful with levels per scene, imho.

[side note: if you leave Min/Max default with a Scene Controller assigned to a block's Level, you get the full 100dB (!) of range, which maps directly to the 0-100% of the Scene Controller. 80% = 0dB. (still would rather have Scene Levels though. :) ]

I believe Scene Levels is a better solution for managing levels across scenes for a few reasons:
  • Channels don't provide a view to show/edit levels across all the scenes. (i.e. the Scene Levels view)
  • Channels are another layer of configuration to keep track of, potentially screw up, etc.
  • Scene Levels are simpler as they just manage the overall level for a block. With Channels you're dealing with every single setting for a block.
Not to say more channels wouldn't be cool, but what I'm looking for is more control over levels per scene within the blocks themselves. Scene Levels do that without having to involve channels at all.

If there were 8 channels, you can set 1:1 scene/channel, and set the volume of each block as needed. Be it filter, amp, cab, drive, reverb...

I believe Scene Levels is a better solution for managing levels across scenes for a few reasons:
  • Channels don't provide a view to show/edit levels across all the scenes. (i.e. the Scene Levels view)
  • Channels are another layer of configuration to keep track of, potentially screw up, etc.
  • Scene Levels are simpler as they just manage the overall level for a block. With Channels you're dealing with every single setting for a block.
Not to say more channels wouldn't be cool, but what I'm looking for is more control over levels per scene within the blocks themselves. Scene Levels do that without having to involve channels at all.
As long as it's a block you can put anywhere in your chain, ideally multiple instances in multiple places, I'm all for it.

The current scene levels aren't very usable for me, for the exact reason talked about in the OP.

Not as simple as Scene Levels, and not as straightforward either. (Scene Level values are in dB; Scene Controller values are percentages. Scene Levels are available within its own block; gotta switch to the Controllers view to get at Scene Controller values.)

The Volume- and Mixer-type blocks are all about level control. They'd be a lot more useful with levels per scene, imho.
Yes... I literally said that ;)
It's not as simple as your wish, though, so +1 for that.

[side note: if you leave Min/Max default with a Scene Controller assigned to a block's Level, you get the full 100dB (!) of range, which maps directly to the 0-100% of the Scene Controller. 80% = 0dB. (still would rather have Scene Levels though. :)
I'm pretty sure Level only goes from -20dB to +20dB, but not in front of my unit right now...

I'm pretty sure Level only goes from -20dB to +20dB, but not in front of my unit right now...

Level goes from -80db to +20dB on most blocks, including all the blocks I'm referring to here (Volume/Pan, Mixer, Multiplexer, Filter, etc), as well as Amp, Cab, the Output blocks, etc. There are a few blocks that don't have that amount of range, such as Drive and Compressor.

Interestingly, even though the Output block supports an overall Level of -80dB to +20dB, the Scene Levels range of control is -20/+20dB.

Not as simple as Scene Levels, and not as straightforward either.

You're right, it's not. That's why snapshots/scenes are conventionally implemented in the more intuitive manner you find on the Helix: Any parameter can have its value set independently for each snapshot/scene. Instead of this method, the AxeFX uses scene controllers. It has its advantages, but I think most people would agree it's not as straightforward as the Helix design. The Output block is an attempt to blend these two designs by using eight(!) separate parameters instead of either scene controllers or Helix-style snapshots. It works, but it's a cumbersome mechanism that is best not propagated to other blocks.

In other words, I would say a better way to express your wish is to have Helix-style snapshots instead of scenes. In the absence of that, the best way to accomplish what you want is with scene controllers. Any intermediate approach that attempts to blend these two designs will likely only result in some kind of "worst of both".

In other words, I would say a better way to express your wish is to have Helix-style snapshots instead of scenes. In the absence of that, the best way to accomplish what you want is with scene controllers. Any intermediate approach that attempts to blend these two designs will likely only result in some kind of "worst of both".
8 channel per scenes is the best of both world!

Back
Top Bottom